compiling everything I want from scratch.
The context is:
pentium 4, many usb devices, many pcmcia cards, ethernet connections
(eepro100.o).
Software: kde (no gnome), the gimp, openoffice, mozilla, gphoto the Java stuff
from Sun as a mozilla plugin.

What shall I put in the USE variable in make.conf?

Ciao

Re: Newbye question: USE for laptop [ In reply to ]
There's no easy answer for that based on the information you delivered.
If you're just going to emerge the mentioned packages then I can't see
the need for one specific USE flag. Some of the packages will set some
flags anyway.

I suggest to look into /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc for a quick overview.

The thing is: if you really forgot a USE flag you'll just have to
re-emerge the necessary packages. An example: let's say you want to set
up an Apache server with PHP/mySQL support. You would emerge apache2,
mod_php and after that mysql. If you missed the mysql USE flag in that
situation you wouldn't get mySQL-support in PHP even though mySQL was
present. Then you would have to re-emerge mod_php.

Some more or less harmless USE flag candidates (just my opinion):

acpi, alsa, avi, cdr, dvd, dvdr, cups, java, jpeg, mpeg, xine, xvid, zlib

Vittorio schrieb:
> I have a compaq evo 800 laptop on which I'm currently running linux debian
> testing.
> I'm now willing to move to gentoo in order to deeply tailor my system
> compiling everything I want from scratch.
> The context is:
> pentium 4, many usb devices, many pcmcia cards, ethernet connections
> (eepro100.o).
> Software: kde (no gnome), the gimp, openoffice, mozilla, gphoto the Java stuff
> from Sun as a mozilla plugin.
>
> What shall I put in the USE variable in make.conf?
>
> Ciao

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Heinz Sporn

SPORN it-freelancing

Mobile: ++43 (0)699 / 127 827 07
Email: heinz.sporn@sporn-it.com
heinz.sporn@utanet.at
Snail: Steyrer Str. 20
A-4540 Bad Hall
Austria / Europe

Re: Newbye question: USE for laptop [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:23:30 +0100, Vittorio <v.demartino2@virgilio.it> wrote:

> What shall I put in the USE variable in make.conf?
>
> Ciao

Run emerge -pv before you do an emerge. Look at the flags. Those with
a '-' are not being enabled. Those with a '+' are. Adjust your USE
declartion as you go.

It's easy and fun.

Good luck,
Mark