replicate the same functionality locally.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Matt

Re: OT: SMS script [ In reply to ]
On Monday 04 October 2004 23:12, Matthew Cline wrote:
> Does anyone know of a program that would allow me to send text
> messages (SMS) to my cell phone from a bash script? My phone provider
> (Cingular) has a form on their website for sending text messages to
> their customers based on a telephone number, and I would like to
> replicate the same functionality locally.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help,
>

> Matt

smssend?

Never tested myself, I don't know if is suitable for your needs...

Cheers
Francesco
--
Linux Version 2.6.9-rc2, Compiled #3 Thu Sep 30 18:27:48 CEST 2004
One 1.53GHz AMD Athlon XP Processor, 1.5GB RAM, 3022.84 Bogomips Total

Re: OT: SMS script [ In reply to ]
Matthew Cline wrote:

> Does anyone know of a program that would allow me to send text
> messages (SMS) to my cell phone from a bash script? My phone provider

most cell phone providers allow you to send an email to their sms
gateway, and it will process the email message and send it to the phone.

Nextel's comes to the top of my head
3335552222@page.nextel.com

t-mobile, sprint, verizon all have gateways you can use via email.

RE: OT: SMS script [ In reply to ]
I do this same thing with AT&T. I would suggest you alias your SMS gateway
email to sometihng else.

I alias it to page_daevid@daevid.com, this way, if you change your cell
provider or anything like that, your scripst will keep working. Also, it's
way easier to remember for other people to use.

Re: OT: SMS script [ In reply to ]
> Does anyone know of a program that would allow me to send text
> messages (SMS) to my cell phone from a bash script? My phone provider
> (Cingular) has a form on their website for sending text messages to
> their customers based on a telephone number, and I would like to
> replicate the same functionality locally.

I've been using smssend for more than a year now without much of a
problem (one upgrade borked my custom configs, but that's ok -- I had
a backup of it ;)

It's fairly straight-forward, and basically works by processing the
web form that your provider has for sending SMS messages from the web
-> your phone. The config files are somewhat awkward to setup -- that
is, it required a lot of guesswork on my part to figure out how to
process Telus' form properly... but once that was done (and it didn't
take _that_ long, really), it's been pretty decent.

Re: OT: SMS script [ In reply to ]
Thank you, everyone for the great suggestions. I will definitely take
a look at smssend.

> most cell phone providers allow you to send an email to their sms
> gateway, and it will process the email message and send it to
> the phone.

Does anyone know if Cingular has this feature?

Matt

Re: OT: SMS script [ In reply to ]
> Does anyone know if Cingular has this feature?

To answer my own questions, Cingular does support this feature. The
e-mail address is:

yournumber@mobile.mycingular.com

Matt