From: Francesco Talamona
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 1:11 PM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: mount: special device /dev/hda7 does not exist

>On Monday 04 October 2004 13:50, Budd, Tracy wrote:
>> I can no longer mount /dev/hda7. This problem surfaced when I switched
>> from gentoo-dev 2.6.7 to 2.6.8
>[...]
>> I can see that there is no hda7 in /dev, so I would guess it is
>> something simple having to do with devfs or udev. I don't understand
>> either very well, and I especially don't understand why switching to
>> 2.6.8 would cause this.
>
>Maybe you forgot to compile in you kernel the option to support your
filesystem...
>Did you run a "make oldconfig" while switching kernel version?

Yes, I ran "make oldconfig"

>What kind of FS is /dev/hda7 on?
Ext2

>Are there other partitions with same FS? Do you experiment the problem with
this one only?
Yes, /boot on /dev/hdb is also ext2 and mounts correctly, which is why I am
puzzled.

Re: Re: mount: special device /dev/hda7 does not ex ist [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:22:17 -0400 , Budd, Tracy wrote:

> >Are there other partitions with same FS? Do you experiment the
> >problem with
> this one only?

> Yes, /boot on /dev/hdb is also ext2 and mounts correctly, which is why
> I am puzzled.

Can you mount the partition if you boot from a Knoppix CD? It is
possible that the filesystem has become corrupted, rather than some
fault in your Gentoo setup.

--
Neil Bothwick

If the cops arrest a mime, do they tell her she has the right to remain
silent?
RE: Re: mount: special device /dev/hda7 does not ex ist [ In reply to ]
Neil,

Thank you for taking a look at this too. The FS mounts with no problem, if I
boot to an earlier 2.6.7 kernel on my machine, so I believe the FS is not
corrupted. As I mentioned previously, another partition with the same FS
type mounts fine as well. This problem cropped up when I switched to 2.6.8
from 2.6.7, which AFAIK is when udev was largely incorporated into gentoo,
which makes me think it is related to udev. I am no expert on udev or devfs
(or Linux or gentoo for that matter :-) ), so I may be wrong about that.

Again, thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Regards,
-Tracy