"Wer unschuldig verurteilt wird, ist selbst schuld - er hätte doch was
verbrechen können!"
-- Gabriel Laub

Re: Portage confused with Xorg 6.7.0 <-> 6.8.0? [ In reply to ]
Am Sonntag 03 Oktober 2004 11:52 schrieb Heiko Nock:
> Why does Portage insist on downgrading me from Xorg 6.8.0-r1 to
> Xorg 6.7.0-r2?

Are you using ati-drivers? I had the same problem because ati-drivers-3.12 are
depending on xorg-x11-6.7 because of crash when using dri.

Just unmerged ati-drivers and reconfigure your xorg-x11 to use the xorg radeon
module until ATI fixes its drivers.
(lol, ATI fixing linux drivers...what a joke...)

regards
--
Christian

ICQ: 117308196 - YIM: cb2206 - AIM: ChristianB2206 - MSNM: cb2206@hotmail.com
public pgp key: http://www.thebartels.de/christian_bartels.asc
Re: Portage confused with Xorg 6.7.0 <-> 6.8.0? [ In reply to ]
Heiko Nock wrote:
> Why does Portage insist on downgrading me from Xorg 6.8.0-r1 to
> Xorg 6.7.0-r2?
>
> And why does it insist on upgrading me to Xorg 6.8.0-r1, right after
> having downgraded to Xorg 6.7.0-r2?!
>
> I tried to stop Portage from going back by setting
> ">=x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0" in /etc/portage/package.mask, but it still
> wants to downgrade again.

I take it you're doing an emerge -u(p/a/v)D world when this happens (the
downgrade)? What are you doing that's calling the upgrade?

It's hard to know why Portage is doing something when we don't know what
you've asked it to do in the first place.

I would suggest doing an emerge -u(p/a/v)D*t* world, to see what package
depends on Xorg 6.7 so you can decide what to do about it (unmerge the
package, or accept the downgrade, or whatever)

I suspect Christian is on to something though-- I have ATI drivers
myself, and discovered from hard experience that they (now) require
Xorg-6.7.0 (so you would be downgraded by an -emerge u(whatever)D world
if the drivers are installed already), and in the case where the drivers
are installed already, Portage will allow you to install Xorg-6.8.x-r*
(although the drivers will break the upgraded X server; check Bugzilla).
However, if you then upgrade your kernel (thus have to re-emerge the
drivers against the new kernel), or try to upgrade the ati-drivers while
having Xorg-6.8.*-* installed, the emerge will be stopped (Portage will
not let you install the ati-drivers against xorg-6.8).

So if you have and use the ati-drivers, it is best to stick with 6.7 for
the moment, and I myself masked xorg-6.8 until this issue is resolved,
since I can't use it anyway, and I 'need' 3D hardware acceleration more
than I 'need' cool transparency effects.

Hope this helps.

Holly