Mailing List Archive

Postfix - Error on sending mail
Hello

When I try to send a local mail to root:

mutt -x root

I get an error (in german I try to translate):
Error 1 on sending mail ()

I know there is change in the path of the config in /etc
So I did:
mv /etc/mailer.conf /etc/mail/mailer.conf

then I tried:
root # newaliases
mailwrapper: cannot exec /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix: No such file or
directory

root # cat /etc/mail/mailer.conf
sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
send-mail /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
mailq /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
newaliases /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

when I change this to:
sendmail /usr/sbin/postfix
send-mail /usr/sbin/postfix
mailq /usr/sbin/postfix
newaliases /usr/sbin/postfix

then I get:
root # newaliases
postfix/postfix-script: fatal: usage: postfix start (or stop, reload,
abort, flush, check, set-permissions, upgrade-configuration)

Do you have an idea where to look?
It seems there is no open bug for something like this.

..and an other question.
I use postfix only for my cron sending mails to root.
I guess this is a bit luxury.
Can somebody point to a doc how to setup ssmtp for this use case?

bye Thilo

Re: Postfix - Error on sending mail [ In reply to ]
Thilo Six wrote:
> Hello
>

> When I try to send a local mail to root:
>
> mutt -x root
>
> I get an error (in german I try to translate):
> Error 1 on sending mail ()
>

> I know there is change in the path of the config in /etc
> So I did:
> mv /etc/mailer.conf /etc/mail/mailer.conf
>
> then I tried:
> root # newaliases
> mailwrapper: cannot exec /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix: No such file or
> directory
>
> root # cat /etc/mail/mailer.conf
> sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
> send-mail /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
> mailq /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
> newaliases /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
AFAIK postfix on gentoo doesn't use this, it provides its own version of a
sendmail binary. You should remove mailer.conf, you shouldn't need it.

[snip]

> Do you have an idea where to look?
> It seems there is no open bug for something like this.
Take a look at the output of
$> qpkg -l postfix
it tells you, which files are installed by postfix. You can get qpkg by
emerging gentoolkit.

> ..and an other question.
> I use postfix only for my cron sending mails to root.
> I guess this is a bit luxury.
> Can somebody point to a doc how to setup ssmtp for this use case?
AFAIK ssmtp is just an infrastructure to make it possible to send mail to an
email server. It has no delivery subsystem. So ssmtp is not the solution for
your problem.

> bye Thilo

Hope, this helps.
Greetings,