Mailing List Archive

emerge clean on metalog
I'm puzzled trying to use `emerge clean'.

From its man page (in part):

clean (-c)
Cleans the system by removing packages that will not effect the
functionality of the system. The arguments can be ebuilds,
classes, or dependencies. For example, emerge clean binutils
cleans out old versions of binutils; emerge clean
net-www/mozilla-0.9.9-r2 cleans out that specific version of
Mozilla. This is generally safe to use. Note that clean does
not remove unslotted packages.

This seems to indicate I could get rid of metalog like this:

But instead it gives me:
# emerge clean app-admin/metalog
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

Or:

Now to find the exact version of metalog, one would expect qpkg to
return the name and version:

# qpkg -f /usr/sbin/metalog
app-admin/metalog *

But instead it leaves you wondering what version.
But still maybe this can work with `emerge clean'

Err no ooops:

# emerge clean app-admin/metalog *
--- Couldn't find installed to clean.
--- Couldn't find nbk to clean.
--- Couldn't find uninstalled to clean.
--- Couldn't find uninstalled~ to clean.
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

OK so how does one satisfy `emerge clean' syntax?

# ls /usr/portage/app-admin/metalog
ChangeLog Manifest files metalog-0.7-r1.ebuild
metalog-0.8_pre20031130.ebuild

Ahh here we go.

# emerge clean metalog-0.7-r1
--- Couldn't find metalog-0.7-r1 to clean.
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

# emerge clean metalog-0.8_pre20031130
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

OK so we can't learn the exact version from qpkg nor can we `clean'
without that version.

Maybe we can get the version from metalog itself...
metalog --help

metalog version 0.7
[...]

Ahh there it is...

# emerge clean metalog-0.7
--- Couldn't find metalog-0.7 to clean.
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

What is the answer to this quandry?

Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]
Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm puzzled trying to use `emerge clean'.
>
>>From its man page (in part):

<snip>

> This seems to indicate I could get rid of metalog like this:
>
> But instead it gives me:
> # emerge clean app-admin/metalog
>
> Or:

<snip>

> # qpkg -f /usr/sbin/metalog
> app-admin/metalog *
>
> But instead it leaves you wondering what version.
> But still maybe this can work with `emerge clean'
>
> Err no ooops:
>
> # emerge clean app-admin/metalog *
> --- Couldn't find installed to clean.
> --- Couldn't find nbk to clean.
> --- Couldn't find uninstalled to clean.
> --- Couldn't find uninstalled~ to clean.
>
> OK so how does one satisfy `emerge clean' syntax?

<snip>

> Ahh here we go.
>
> # emerge clean metalog-0.7-r1
> --- Couldn't find metalog-0.7-r1 to clean.
>
> # emerge clean metalog-0.8_pre20031130
>
> <snip>
>
> Ahh there it is...
>
> # emerge clean metalog-0.7
> --- Couldn't find metalog-0.7 to clean.
>
> What is the answer to this quandry?

Probably the syntax you haven't tried:

emerge clean =app-admin/metalog-0.7

I haven't tried an emerge clean, but 'normal' emerge syntax for a
specific package is (<=>)cate-gory/packagename-version.number, so I
would guess that it would be similar for clean.

Just an idea, hope it helps.

Holly

Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I'm puzzled trying to use `emerge clean'.
>>
>>>From its man page (in part):
>>
> <snip>
>> This seems to indicate I could get rid of metalog like this:
>> But instead it gives me:
>> # emerge clean app-admin/metalog
>> Or:
>>
> <snip>
>> # qpkg -f /usr/sbin/metalog
>> app-admin/metalog *
>> But instead it leaves you wondering what version.
>> But still maybe this can work with `emerge clean'
>> Err no ooops:
>> # emerge clean app-admin/metalog *
>> --- Couldn't find installed to clean.
>> --- Couldn't find nbk to clean.
>> --- Couldn't find uninstalled to clean.
>> --- Couldn't find uninstalled~ to clean.
>> OK so how does one satisfy `emerge clean' syntax?
>>
> <snip>
>> Ahh here we go.
>> # emerge clean metalog-0.7-r1 --- Couldn't find
>> metalog-0.7-r1 to clean.
>> # emerge clean metalog-0.8_pre20031130
>> <snip>
>> Ahh there it is...
>> # emerge clean metalog-0.7 --- Couldn't find
>> metalog-0.7 to clean.
>> What is the answer to this quandry?
>>

> Probably the syntax you haven't tried:
>
> emerge clean =app-admin/metalog-0.7
>
> I haven't tried an emerge clean, but 'normal' emerge syntax for a
> specific package is (<=>)cate-gory/packagename-version.number, so I
> would guess that it would be similar for clean.

Nope...
# emerge clean =app-admin/metalog/metalog-0.7
--- Couldn't find =app-admin/metalog/metalog-0.7 to clean.

Re: Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]
Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> writes:
>
>>>Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>>>I'm puzzled trying to use `emerge clean'.
>>>
>>>What is the answer to this quandry?
>>
>>Probably the syntax you haven't tried:
>>
>>emerge clean =app-admin/metalog-0.7
>>

> Nope...
> # emerge clean =app-admin/metalog/metalog-0.7
> --- Couldn't find =app-admin/metalog/metalog-0.7 to clean.

Your command is not the same one I proposed.

I proposed

emerge clean =app-admin/metalog-0.7

You used

emerge clean =app-admin/metalog/metalog-0.7

See that extra metalog/ in the middle of yours?

Holly

Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> writes:

> Your command is not the same one I proposed.
>
> I proposed
>
> emerge clean =app-admin/metalog-0.7
>
> You used
>
> emerge clean =app-admin/metalog/metalog-0.7
>
> See that extra metalog/ in the middle of yours?
>
> Holly

I tried it that way too, with same failure but I see now that it wants
the revision number too:

emerge clean =app-admin/metalog/metalog-0.7-r1
Does the job... Thanks

Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]

>> emerge clean =app-admin/metalog-0.7
>>
>> You used
>>
>> emerge clean =app-admin/metalog/metalog-0.7
>>
>> See that extra metalog/ in the middle of yours?
>>
>> Holly
>
> I tried it that way too, with same failure but I see now that it wants
> the revision number too:
>
> emerge clean =app-admin/metalog/metalog-0.7-r1
> Does the job... Thanks

There is still something amiss here.
It worked finally for metalog but now will not work again
on syslog-ng

Not sure I'm not missing some refinement here:

# emerge clean =app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.5-r1
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

# syslog-ng -V
syslog-ng 1.6.5

# ls /usr/portage/app-admin/syslog-ng
ChangeLog files syslog-ng-1.6.0_rc3-r1.ebuild
syslog-ng-1.6.4.ebuild
Manifest metadata.xml syslog-ng-1.6.2.ebuild
syslog-ng-1.6.5-r1.ebuild

# emerge clean =app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.5
--- Couldn't find =app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.5 to clean.
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

OK what gives this time?

Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]
Harry Putnam wrote, On 02.10.2004 18:47:

> # emerge clean =app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.5-r1
^^
> # syslog-ng -V
> syslog-ng 1.6.5
^^

> OK what gives this time?

try:

emerge clean =app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.5

bye Thilo

Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]
Thilo Six <T.Six@gmx.de> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote, On 02.10.2004 18:47:
>
>> # emerge clean =app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.5-r1
> ^^
>> # syslog-ng -V
>> syslog-ng 1.6.5
> ^^
>
>> OK what gives this time?
>

> try:
>
> emerge clean =app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.5

Cut and pasted with this result:
# emerge clean =app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.5
--- Couldn't find =app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.5 to clean.
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

Trying again with version info:
# emerge clean =app-admin/metalog-r1
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

Apparently that is not the problem...
Neither works
Not understanding why this is such a problem. Or why something in
either emerge or qpkg doesn't give a user the `exact' info needed for
`clean'

I've reinstalled metalog now trying `emerge clean' on it again...
ls /usr/portage/app-admin/metalog/
ChangeLog Manifest files metalog-0.7-r1.ebuild
metalog-0.8_pre20031130.ebuild

# emerge clean =app-admin/metalog-0.7
--- Couldn't find =app-admin/metalog-0.7 to clean.
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

# emerge clean =app-admin/metalog-0.7-r1
--- Couldn't find =app-admin/metalog-0.7-r1 to clean.
>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

Is there some other nifty way to remove installed packages?
The `clean' thing isn't doing so good.

Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]
From `man emerge':
clean (-c)
Cleans the system by removing packages that will not effect
the functionality of the system. The arguments can be
ebuilds, classes, or dependencies. For example, emerge
clean binutils cleans out old versions of binutils; emerge
clean net-www/mozilla-0.9.9-r2 cleans out that specific ver-
sion of Mozilla. This is generally safe to use. Note that
clean does not remove unslotted packages.

What does `unslotted' mean in this context?

Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]
Harry Putnam wrote, On 02.10.2004 19:32:

>>> # emerge clean =app-admin/syslog-ng-1.6.5-r1
^^

>>># syslog-ng -V
>>>syslog-ng 1.6.5
>>
>> ^^

> Is there some other nifty way to remove installed packages?
> The `clean' thing isn't doing so good.

clean (-c short option)
Cleans the system by removing outdated packages

unmerge (-C short option)
WARNING: This action can remove important packages!
Removes all matching packages without checking for
outdated versions, effectively removing a package
completely from your system. Specify arguments using
the dependency specification format described in the
clean action above.

If you just want to plain delete that package use:

emerge -Ca syslog-ng

This will remove syslog-ng, but before removing asking you if
the right package is slated for removal.

emerge -Ca =syslog-ng-1.6.5

same as above but this will remove this specific Version (in case
you have installed more than one)

emerge -Ca >syslog-ng-1.6.5

same as above but will remove _all_ Versions of that programm smaller
then the given.

.
.
.

There are even more possibilities. See emerge -h or man emerge for
complete details.

bye Thilo

Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]
Thilo Six <T.Six@gmx.de> writes:

[...]

> There are even more possibilities. See emerge -h or man emerge for
> complete details.

Oh man, thanks for the step thru. Thats a keeper. I don't think I
would have ever gotten it right from the man page.

Re: Re: emerge clean on metalog [ In reply to ]
Another point to comment: the "-r1" part of the version number doesn't
have anything to do with the version of the package itself, only with
changes in the ebuild or added features (like patches to apply before
compiling or something like that). In other words, syslog-ng-1.6.5-r1
and syslog-ng-1.6.5 are ebuilds for the same version of syslog-ng.