is referring to. If anyone needs my xorg.conf I can post it.
--
Free image hosting at http://www.rickserver.com

Re: xorg with nvidia [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 02 October 2004 07:35 am, Rick Hennigan wrote:
> hello,
>
> I recently discovered that my opengl was not working when I tried to
> run a game. I realized I forgot to update my xorg.conf file for the
> nvidia drivers when I made the switch from xfree. After making the
> fix, I get an error upon running startx that says my kernel module and
> nvidia driver files do not have the same version. Is this referring
> to the versions of nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx? I noticed I have
> different versions of those but I'm not sure if thats what the error
> is referring to. If anyone needs my xorg.conf I can post it.

It means that your kernel was built with a different version of gcc than
your Nvidia driver, probably because you emerged an update to gcc. The
kernel checks this when loading modules.

Not knowing the exact order things happened in, you may need to emerge the
nvidia-kernel again, and may also need to build your kernel again, so
that they are both compiled under the same gcc version.

Paaul

Re: xorg with nvidia [ In reply to ]
Rick Hennigan wrote:
> hello,
>
> I recently discovered that my opengl was not working when I tried to
> run a game. I realized I forgot to update my xorg.conf file for the
> nvidia drivers when I made the switch from xfree. After making the
> fix, I get an error upon running startx that says my kernel module and
> nvidia driver files do not have the same version. Is this referring
> to the versions of nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx? I noticed I have
> different versions of those but I'm not sure if thats what the error
> is referring to. If anyone needs my xorg.conf I can post it.

It's probably referring to your kernel and the modules. Every time you
upgrade your kernel, you must recompile the modules against the new
kernel source. The ones compiled against the previous kernel won't work
with the new kernel.

I would suggest re-emergign nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx (not sure about
that second one; I have an ATI card, so the GLX component is included in
the ati-drivers package) against the new kernel (just in the console or
terminal that you're in; log in as root, emerge the modules, load them,
and try startx again).

Hope this helps,

Holly

Re: xorg with nvidia [ In reply to ]
I just realized that I had nvidia-kernel ~x86 in my package.keywords
file and not nvidia-glx. I don't really remember why but I suspect
this is at least part of the problem, I'm currently reemerging
nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx without anykeywords. Hopefully it works
or I'm gonna yell at my cat.