know what to look for.At the end of the log it shows the
same error as above.
Wayne

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 30 September 2004 19:09, Ryan Coates wrote:
> a quick google reveals it has this graphics
>
> Integrated S3 ProSavage8 2D/3D Graphics
>
> checking the Via website (it has a Via KM266 chipset) confirms that
> the integrated graphics is indeed S3 ProSavage8
>
> hope that helps
>
> this ofcourse could be wrong
>
> the motherboard i found was an ECS L7VMM3 Pro3200A+ (atleast the
> website called it that)
>
> if you can confirm what chipset you have you can check the via/other
> website for details on the integrated graphics they use

Can you tell me what word you googled on. I couldn't find this info.
Wayne

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:53:23 -0700, Spencer <infotechsys@pivot.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an ECS Elitegroup, L7VMM3, Micro ATX
> motherboard and I'm trying to detemine what
> the built-in graphic is.I went to the web page of the
> company to see if I could track it down.This motherboard
> doesn't show up on there web page. Is there a way to
> get this info some other way? I'm trying to set my
> values for my xorg.conf file.I'm using xorgconfig for
> this process and I'm not having verg good results.
> When I enter "startx" I get the error
> Fatal server error:
> no screen found
> I looked at the log, but there so much info that I don't
> know what to look for.At the end of the log it shows the
> same error as above.
> Wayne

There are a few ways to find this out. You could just watch the output
when linux starts up. Or you can type dmesg and look for it there.
There are other ways too.

-Josh

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
Try cat /proc/pci or merge lspci and run it.

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Spencer wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an ECS Elitegroup, L7VMM3, Micro ATX
> motherboard and I'm trying to detemine what
> the built-in graphic is.I went to the web page of the

Snip

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
a quick google reveals it has this graphics

Integrated S3 ProSavage8 2D/3D Graphics

checking the Via website (it has a Via KM266 chipset) confirms that
the integrated graphics is indeed S3 ProSavage8

hope that helps

this ofcourse could be wrong

the motherboard i found was an ECS L7VMM3 Pro3200A+ (atleast the
website called it that)

if you can confirm what chipset you have you can check the via/other
website for details on the integrated graphics they use

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:52:58 -0400 (EDT), Brett I. Holcomb
<brettholcomb@charter.net> wrote:
> Try cat /proc/pci or merge lspci and run it.
>
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Spencer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have an ECS Elitegroup, L7VMM3, Micro ATX
> > motherboard and I'm trying to detemine what
> > the built-in graphic is.I went to the web page of the
>
> Snip
>
> > Wayne
> >
> > --

> Brett I. Holcomb

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
have you tried lspci?

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:37:47 -0700

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 30 September 2004 21:13, Nick Rout wrote:
> have you tried lspci?
The "find / -name lspci -print" command returns nothing and
I have no man page for lspci.
Wayne

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:37:47 -0700
>
> Spencer <infotechsys@pivot.net> wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 September 2004 19:09, Ryan Coates wrote:
> > > a quick google reveals it has this graphics
> > >
> > > Integrated S3 ProSavage8 2D/3D Graphics

snip

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
On Friday 01 October 2004 04:31, Holly Bostick wrote:
<snip>
> Lspci is not difficult to use; open a terminal, su to root and type lspci.
>
> This should return the list of PCI devices detected by the kernel, like so:
>
> [root@Gentoo] 08:43 AM #lspci
> 0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo
> KT266/A/333]
> 0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo
> KT266/A/333 AGP]
> 0000:00:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
> 0000:00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 PCI to ISA Bridge
> 0000:00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
> 0000:00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
> 1.1 Controller (rev 1b)
> 0000:00:11.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
> 1.1 Controller (rev 1b)
> 0000:00:11.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
> 1.1 Controller (rev 1b)
> 0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 30)
> 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc R350 AH
> [Radeon 9800]
> 0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350
> [Radeon 9800] (Secondary)
>
> Lspci is part of the pciutils package, which afaik should be part of the
> initial system setup.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Holly
After emerge pciutils and running lspci I got a list similar to this.
The line for the vga I have:
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Tech. Inc.:unknown device 7205
(rev 01)
I'm trying to get the X server running.My monitor H-48 and the V-60,which
I key in when I run xorgconfig.The chipset for my motherboard is
VIA KM266Pro Northridge and VT8235 Southridge.At this point in time
I have no idea what those numbers are,but I plan on doing some research
later.My motherboard is a L7VMM3 which has an onboad video card,
S3 ProSavage8 AGP.From the xorgconf I have tried the following selection
to no avail:
Generic VGA, S3 Savage (generic) and S3 86c391 (Savage3D).
Can someone point to the selection I should use. Thanks.
Wayne

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
i googled 'L7VMM3 motherboard'
fifth link down was to some web store with the spec sheet

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:13:30 +1200, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> have you tried lspci?
>
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:37:47 -0700
>

> Spencer <infotechsys@pivot.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 30 September 2004 19:09, Ryan Coates wrote:
> > > a quick google reveals it has this graphics
> > >
> > > Integrated S3 ProSavage8 2D/3D Graphics
> > >
> > > checking the Via website (it has a Via KM266 chipset) confirms that
> > > the integrated graphics is indeed S3 ProSavage8
> > >
> > > hope that helps
> > >
> > > this ofcourse could be wrong
> > >
> > > the motherboard i found was an ECS L7VMM3 Pro3200A+ (atleast the
> > > website called it that)
> > >
> > > if you can confirm what chipset you have you can check the via/other
> > > website for details on the integrated graphics they use
> > >
> > Can you tell me what word you googled on. I couldn't find this info.
> > Wayne
> >
> > --

> Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
On Friday 01 October 2004 06:31, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> > | First of all, if you're getting unknown device for the video card, you
> > | may not have your kernel set up correctly to recognize the card in the
> > | first place.
> >
> > Nooooo. pciutils supplies its own pci.ids db, so as long as you have
> > CONFIG_PCI=n it'll detect the card if recognised. 1106:7205 is present
> > in newer revisions of the master db as:
> >
> > 1106 VIA Technologies, Inc.
> > 7205 VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video
> > 1458 d000 Gigabyte GA-7VM400(A)M(F) Motherboard
>
> Well, that's certainly useful information, but do we know that the OP
> has CONFIG_PCI=n?
>
> > So it looks like you'll need an updated db file for lspci and xorg, both
> > of which do db updates before releases anyway.
>
> Even more interesting info, but how would the OP go about getting such
> an updated db at the point that he's at (which is also not completely
> clear, but the system seems to be installed, just X cannot be configured).
>
> Holly
The version I have installed is Linux version 2.4.26-gentoo-r6 from the
LiveCD. Is there a way I can check to see if I set this value for
CONFIG_PCI=n? If not, do I recompile my kernel?
Wayne

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
Hi!

emerge pciutils

:)

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
Spencer wrote:
> On Friday 01 October 2004 04:31, Holly Bostick wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>Lspci is not difficult to use; open a terminal, su to root and type lspci.
>>
>>This should return the list of PCI devices detected by the kernel, like so:
>>
>>[root@Gentoo] 08:43 AM #lspci
>>0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo
>>KT266/A/333]
>>0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo
>>KT266/A/333 AGP]
>>0000:00:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>>RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
>>0000:00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 PCI to ISA Bridge
>>0000:00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
>>VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
>>0000:00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
>>1.1 Controller (rev 1b)
>>0000:00:11.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
>>1.1 Controller (rev 1b)
>>0000:00:11.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
>>1.1 Controller (rev 1b)
>>0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
>>VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 30)
>>0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc R350 AH
>>[Radeon 9800]
>>0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350
>>[Radeon 9800] (Secondary)
>>
>>Lspci is part of the pciutils package, which afaik should be part of the
>>initial system setup.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>Holly
>
> After emerge pciutils and running lspci I got a list similar to this.
> The line for the vga I have:
> 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Tech. Inc.:unknown device 7205
> (rev 01)
> I'm trying to get the X server running.My monitor H-48 and the V-60,which
> I key in when I run xorgconfig.The chipset for my motherboard is
> VIA KM266Pro Northridge and VT8235 Southridge.At this point in time
> I have no idea what those numbers are,but I plan on doing some research
> later.My motherboard is a L7VMM3 which has an onboad video card,
> S3 ProSavage8 AGP.From the xorgconf I have tried the following selection
> to no avail:
> Generic VGA, S3 Savage (generic) and S3 86c391 (Savage3D).
> Can someone point to the selection I should use. Thanks.
> Wayne

First of all, if you're getting unknown device for the video card, you
may not have your kernel set up correctly to recognize the card in the
first place.

What kernel are you using? You may not have compiled kernel support for
the motherboard's AGP chipset, and there may be drivers for the card
included as well, depending on which kernel you are using.

Second of all, you say you key in H-48 and V-60 for your monitor.
Unfortunately, monitor horizontal and vertical refresh rates are not
single numbers, but a range:

For example, my monitor, an Eizo F550i-W, uses H 27-65 and V 55-90. So
the second task you have is to dig up your monitor manual, or
Googlesearch the model number, to get the actual range data.

In any case, you are unlikely to succeed by fiddling around with the
settings at the moment; you are missing a more fundamental piece of
information (either kernel support, or full monitor information, or both).

Holly

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
wrote:
| > 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Tech. Inc.:unknown
| > device 7205 (rev 01)
|
| First of all, if you're getting unknown device for the video card, you
| may not have your kernel set up correctly to recognize the card in the
| first place.

Nooooo. pciutils supplies its own pci.ids db, so as long as you have
CONFIG_PCI=n it'll detect the card if recognised. 1106:7205 is present
in newer revisions of the master db as:

1106 VIA Technologies, Inc.
7205 VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video
1458 d000 Gigabyte GA-7VM400(A)M(F) Motherboard

So it looks like you'll need an updated db file for lspci and xorg, both
of which do db updates before releases anyway.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:31:07 +0200 Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl>
wrote:
| Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
| > |
| > | First of all, if you're getting unknown device for the video card,
| > | you may not have your kernel set up correctly to recognize the
| > | card in the first place.
| >
| > Nooooo. pciutils supplies its own pci.ids db, so as long as you have
| > CONFIG_PCI=n it'll detect the card if recognised. 1106:7205 is
| > present in newer revisions of the master db as:
| >
| > 1106 VIA Technologies, Inc.
| > 7205 VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video
| > 1458 d000 Gigabyte GA-7VM400(A)M(F) Motherboard
|
| Well, that's certainly useful information, but do we know that the OP
| has CONFIG_PCI=n?

Oops. That should of course be "doesn't have" (or =y if you prefer), and
the OP *does* have PCI turned on, since the box actually boots to
userspace :)

| Even more interesting info, but how would the OP go about getting such
| an updated db at the point that he's at (which is also not completely
| clear, but the system seems to be installed, just X cannot be
| configured).

I *think* both lspci and xorg need to have the ids database updated at
compiletime.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:03:12 +0100 Peter Ruskin
<Peter.Ruskin@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
| When I was using Mandrake we would pass this sort of info to someone
| there and eventually the database would be updated.

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/

Instructions there.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
On Friday 01 October 2004 13:30, Trey Gruel wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:53:23 -0700, Spencer <infotechsys@pivot.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have an ECS Elitegroup, L7VMM3, Micro ATX
> > motherboard and I'm trying to detemine what
> > the built-in graphic is.I went to the web page of the
> > company to see if I could track it down.This motherboard
> > doesn't show up on there web page.
>
> <snip>
>
> first hit from a google search:
> http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=418&Menu
>ID=0&LanID=0
>
> according to the specs, the graphics are s3 prosavage8 (part of the
> via km266 chipset)
Thanks for the info. After further checking with google I finally
found this info.Now I have to figure out how to put the pices together
to get X to come up.When I run xorgconf I don't see the X server for
s3 prosavage8.
Thanks again.
Wayne

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
On Friday 01 October 2004 06:41, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:31:07 +0200 Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl>
>
> wrote:
> | Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> | > |

> | > Nooooo. pciutils supplies its own pci.ids db, so as long as you have
> | > CONFIG_PCI=n it'll detect the card if recognised. 1106:7205 is
> | > present in newer revisions of the master db as:
> | >
> | > 1106 VIA Technologies, Inc.
> | > 7205 VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video
> | > 1458 d000 Gigabyte GA-7VM400(A)M(F) Motherboard
> |
> | Well, that's certainly useful information, but do we know that the OP
> | has CONFIG_PCI=n?
>
> Oops. That should of course be "doesn't have" (or =y if you prefer), and
> the OP *does* have PCI turned on, since the box actually boots to
> userspace :)
>
> | Even more interesting info, but how would the OP go about getting such
> | an updated db at the point that he's at (which is also not completely
> | clear, but the system seems to be installed, just X cannot be
> | configured).
>
> I *think* both lspci and xorg need to have the ids database updated at
> compiletime.

After looking at all the emails I got on this subject, I would like to ask
some more questions. I assume from this email that I have the CONFIG_PCI
value set ok, because I can boot my system. The only pci.ids db I found on my
system is located at /usr/share/misc/pci.ids. When I looked at the file I
could not find the above entry in the pci.ids db.The LiveCD I have is
Linux version 2.4.26-gentoo-r6 and I did a stage3 install.I did not use
genkernel to build my kernel.The system does not have any network
capability.So how do I get the new master pci.ids?
Wayne

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]

Re: Trying to determine my video card. [ In reply to ]
Spencer wrote:

>Thanks for the info. After further checking with google I finally
>found this info.Now I have to figure out how to put the pices together
>to get X to come up.When I run xorgconf I don't see the X server for
>s3 prosavage8.
>Thanks again.
>Wayne
>

>--