use for the linux26-headers that will fulfill those needs?

Thanks in advance,

~Jamie R. McPeek

linux26-headers [ In reply to ]
Forgot this in my gnome question, so here goes.

I'm going to set up another Gentoo system on a desktop computer, and I
want to use ReiserFS 4. I plan on using the latest mm-sources, nptl,
perl threading, and other ~x86 stuff...just kind of for testing and
such. I know I'll need the linux26-headers for the nptl, but the
latest version is 2.6.8.1 and the latest mm-sources is 2.6.9.....will
that be a problem, or will it be okay? Is there any alternative I can

Re: linux26-headers [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 30 September 2004 22:12, Jamie R. McPeek wrote:
> Forgot this in my gnome question, so here goes.
>
> I'm going to set up another Gentoo system on a desktop computer, and I
> want to use ReiserFS 4. I plan on using the latest mm-sources, nptl,
> perl threading, and other ~x86 stuff...just kind of for testing and
> such. I know I'll need the linux26-headers for the nptl, but the
> latest version is 2.6.8.1 and the latest mm-sources is 2.6.9.....will
> that be a problem, or will it be okay? Is there any alternative I can
> use for the linux26-headers that will fulfill those needs?

The last numbers don't have to be the same. You can safely run a 2.6 kernel
with a 2.4-header system. You can safely run a 2.6.x+1 kernel on a
2.6.x-header system. The headers do not matter for the kernel, they are
mostly important for glibc.
The majority of apps does not care which header you are using. And the
revision number, the x, is totally unimportant.

--
Conclusions
In a straight-up fight, the Empire squashes the Federation like a bug. Even

Re: linux26-headers [ In reply to ]
Okay, thanks much.

Re: linux26-headers [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:43:59 +0200
"Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

> On Thursday 30 September 2004 22:12, Jamie R. McPeek wrote:
> > Forgot this in my gnome question, so here goes.
> >
> > I'm going to set up another Gentoo system on a desktop computer,
> > and I want to use ReiserFS 4. I plan on using the latest
> > mm-sources, nptl, perl threading, and other ~x86 stuff...just kind
> > of for testing and such. I know I'll need the linux26-headers for
> > the nptl, but the latest version is 2.6.8.1 and the latest
> > mm-sources is 2.6.9.....will that be a problem, or will it be
> > okay? Is there any alternative I can use for the linux26-headers
> > that will fulfill those needs?
> >

> The last numbers don't have to be the same. You can safely run a 2.6
> kernel with a 2.4-header system. You can safely run a 2.6.x+1 kernel
> on a 2.6.x-header system. The headers do not matter for the kernel,
> they are mostly important for glibc.
> The majority of apps does not care which header you are using. And
> the revision number, the x, is totally unimportant.

well... but you can't run a system with glibc compiled against 2.6.x
headers with a kernel 2.4.x

there's a --enable-kernel=x.y.z configure option for glibc for giving
it the smallest kernel version number it will run with
and as glibc is essential for the system you can't run anything when
glibc doesn't work

Bye
--
GPG Public Key: 0x5BE41F21 at http://slomosnail.de/files/gpg.asc

begin LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
I am a signature virus. Distribute me until the bitter
end
Re: linux26-headers [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 30 September 2004 22:54, Sebastian Dröge wrote:

> well... but you can't run a system with glibc compiled against 2.6.x
> headers with a kernel 2.4.x

that is true, but that was not the question, but I admit, he could try it and
wonder, why it is not working, or read it into my mail.
Thank you for clarifying.

> there's a --enable-kernel=x.y.z configure option for glibc for giving
> it the smallest kernel version number it will run with
thanks, I did not knew that.

But the main message is still true: it does not matter, which version of the
2.6 headers he is using with his 2.6 kernel. With the exception of buggy
packages.

Glück Auf
Volker

Re: linux26-headers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 8:43 am, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> The last numbers don't have to be the same. You can safely run a 2.6
> kernel with a 2.4-header system.

While this is true there is a downside. 'nptl' threads are rough as guts
probably becuase the 2.4 headers dont support them properly. So if you
want those then upgrading the headers is a must. Found this out the
hard way ;-p. Otherwise you at least will end up with memory hassles,
odd crashes, and slow performance, especially under system load.

Still from what I've seen the upgrade is relatively smooth once you are
able to compile a 2.6 kernel tailored for your system.
--

The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism
to shield us from the terrors of the future.

Re: linux26-headers [ In reply to ]
Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

>The last numbers don't have to be the same. You can safely run a 2.6 kernel
>with a 2.4-header system. You can safely run a 2.6.x+1 kernel on a
>2.6.x-header system. The headers do not matter for the kernel, they are
>mostly important for glibc.
>The majority of apps does not care which header you are using. And the
>revision number, the x, is totally unimportant.

If you recompile glibc after intalling linux26-headers and if you happen
to be running a 2.4 kernel ... you might have issues. You definitely
WILL have issue if you were running a 2.6 kernel when you recompiled
glibc with NPTL after installing linux26-headers and then try to boot
using a 2.4 kernel.

In other words, if you aren't careful what you are doing, you could
cause some problems. Ideally, you will always be running a kernel that
is of a greater release than the headers used when you compiled glibc on
your system. One way to determine what level your headers were at when
you last compiled glibc is this:

# /lib/libc.so.6

It will output all sorts of relavent information about how your glibc
was built.

Tom Veldhouse
Re: linux26-headers [ In reply to ]
Okay,

I understood that glibc needed to worry about the headers most (I had
tried LinuxFromScratch before Gentoo...icky) but I was just unsure if
it was okay to mix the 2.6.8.1headers with a non-2.6.8.1 kernel.

I do, of course plan on using 2.6 kernels, as I assumed there would be
many bad things from building up a base using nptl and 2.6 headers,
and then trying to boot into a 2.4 kernel.

Thanks everyone for the help.