Mailing List Archive

Samba, Sendfile, and kernel config
Hi,

I was having a real problem getting samba to work on my PPC gentoo server.
Basically, browsing (usually) worked, but trying to access a file would
lock up Windows Explorer (or any other app that tried to access a file on
the share, including things like Kate, though admittedly the Linux apps
did recover more gracefully [but not by much]).

Finally, a kind soul on the samba mailing list suggested that my kernel
might not be compatible with 'sendfile', which is apparently an option
that defaults to "on" with new versions of Samba.

Setting "use sendfile = no" in my smb.conf did indeed fix the problem, but
it raised a few questions in my mind.

Did I just compile my kernel wrong, or is this some sort of problem?
Should I file a bug? Should the ebuild somehow be able to tell if sendfile
would work on each user's kernel?

Unfortunately, the gentleman who suggested the solution did not know what
causes the problem, only that it was a 'kernel problem', and noone else on
the list respoded.

Does anyone here have any further insight?

--
Lenroc