president of Algeria.

Homer: C'mon, pal, I don't want to hear your life story! Paw me.

Treehouse of Horror II

Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 18:10, Matthias F. Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am still using xfree, version 4.2.1.
>
> Are there any _good_ reasons to switch to Xorg? Until now, I am living
> happily with my "old" xfree... ;)
>
> Greetings, Matthias

Is system security a good enough reason?

http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200409-34.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200407-05.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200402-02.xml

luke
Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 18:10, Matthias F. Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am still using xfree, version 4.2.1.
>
> Are there any _good_ reasons to switch to Xorg? Until now, I am living
> happily with my "old" xfree... ;)

Well, you'll likely be switching eventually anyway, since:

1. XFree is being dropped from Gentoo (and most other major distros, I
think) and

2. Xorg is being actively developed while XFree will probably continue
to stagnate.

Are you going to notice some big huge difference if you switch to Xorg
right now? No, probably not (unless you go straight to version 6.8.0
(which is currently masked) and make a point of using the new
transparency and drop-shadow features). But, if you're going to switch
eventually anyway, you might as well get it over with.

Oh, and then there's the security issues Luke mentioned. ;)

Tom

Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 29 September 2004 06:10 pm, Matthias F. Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am still using xfree, version 4.2.1.
>
> Are there any _good_ reasons to switch to Xorg? Until now, I am living
> happily with my "old" xfree... ;)
>
> Greetings, Matthias

There's nothing wrong with xfree, it's the user license. You may want to
upgrade the version on your installation, bug and security fixes... But if
it's working, is it worth the bother?

Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:29:31 -0400, Thomas J. Hamman wrote:

> But, if you're going to switch
> eventually anyway, you might as well get it over with.

With the projects being developed independently, it is likely they will
diverge. Migration won't get any easier if you leave it until later. You
may as well get it over with while the two projects are still quite
similar.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Have you lived in this village all your life?"
"No, not yet."
Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:28:11 +0100, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:29:31 -0400, Thomas J. Hamman wrote:
>
> > But, if you're going to switch
> > eventually anyway, you might as well get it over with.
>
> With the projects being developed independently, it is likely they will
> diverge. Migration won't get any easier if you leave it until later. You
> may as well get it over with while the two projects are still quite
> similar.

That's true... and the major desktop systems under Linux, KDE/Gnome
are following the freedesktop standards right now... so in the future,
xorg will diverge from XFree, and will follow the freedesktop
standards (FreeDesktop.org is the people developing xorg). In the next
version that will be out sortly... Xorg will have implemented the
protocol Xprint, XDamage and the real transparency and shadows... and
more things... things that you won't see in XFree (for the moment,
maybe they will added later)...

David GP

Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
---------- quoting David García Pérez ----------
> That's true... and the major desktop systems under Linux, KDE/Gnome
> are following the freedesktop standards right now... so in the future,
> xorg will diverge from XFree, and will follow the freedesktop
> standards (FreeDesktop.org is the people developing xorg). In the next
> version that will be out sortly... Xorg will have implemented the
> protocol Xprint, XDamage and the real transparency and shadows... and
> more things... things that you won't see in XFree (for the moment,
> maybe they will added later)...

thx for all your input.
I think I will upgrade to Xorf soon...

Greets, Matthias

--
Jeez. No beer ... no opera dogs ...

-- Homer Simpson
Bart the Genius

Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
> That's true... and the major desktop systems under Linux, KDE/Gnome
> are following the freedesktop standards right now... so in the future,
> xorg will diverge from XFree, and will follow the freedesktop
> standards (FreeDesktop.org is the people developing xorg). In the next
> version that will be out sortly... Xorg will have implemented the
> protocol Xprint, XDamage and the real transparency and shadows... and
> more things... things that you won't see in XFree (for the moment,
> maybe they will added later)...

Does v4l and xawtv with overlay work with Xorg?
Last time I emerged Xorg it completely broke my xawtv even when I was
running xfree (under opengl-update)!
Mick

--
<BR/> "The future influences the present just as much as the past." Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
040930 Matthias F. Brandstetter wrote:
> I think I will upgrade to Xorf soon...

i tried Xorg & was stuck w hideous fonts, so i'm back w Xfree.
my impression is that Xorg is still much more promise than performance
& the real pressure to switch is political, ie the licence issue.

just my CAD 0,02 .

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:01:41 -0400 purslow@sympatico.ca wrote:
| 040930 Matthias F. Brandstetter wrote:
| > I think I will upgrade to Xorf soon...
|
| i tried Xorg & was stuck w hideous fonts, so i'm back w Xfree.
| my impression is that Xorg is still much more promise than performance
| & the real pressure to switch is political, ie the licence issue.

Probably because you didn't read the einfo messages about switching over
to /usr/share/fonts :)

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
<purslow@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> i tried Xorg & was stuck w hideous fonts, so i'm back w Xfree.
> my impression is that Xorg is still much more promise than performance
> & the real pressure to switch is political, ie the licence issue.

On the other hand, my experience on three boxes leads me to think that
your experience WRT fonts is atypical.

My USD .02, of course.

Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
<purslow@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> 040930 Matthias F. Brandstetter wrote:
> > I think I will upgrade to Xorf soon...
>
> i tried Xorg & was stuck w hideous fonts, so i'm back w Xfree.
> my impression is that Xorg is still much more promise than performance
> & the real pressure to switch is political, ie the licence issue.

Off course the creation of xorg is about license problems... the
version 6.7 has no much differences with XFree, it is mainly the XFree
4.4 rc2 with a lot of patches... and it is totally mature, as much as
mature as XFree is, the version 6.8 will have significant changes...
transparency, xprint, xdamage... the XFree project was an old
project... that need a complete fresh start since a long time, it is
big, and monolitic... and I didn't see the XFree people trying to
change it... right now... I see more future in Xorg than in XFree...
well, mainly because nearly all linux distribution are moving to Xorg,
and big companies too, such as HP, IBM and SUN.

Anyway... about your fonts problems... read this threath in the gentoo forums:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=220144&highlight=xorg+fonts

David GP

Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
040930 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:01:41 -0400 purslow@sympatico.ca wrote:
>> i tried Xorg & was stuck w hideous fonts, so i'm back w Xfree.
>> my impression is that Xorg is still much more promise than performance
>> & the real pressure to switch is political, ie the licence issue.
> Probably because you didn't read the einfo messages
> about switching over to /usr/share/fonts

rubbish! of course, i read it & a lot more!
and i posted a long account on Gentoo-User & got no reply:
care to have a look in the archive, do your own share of reading
& tell me where you believe i really went wrong ?

Re: Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:12:05 +0200, Mick Wever <mick@machina.no> wrote:
> Does v4l and xawtv with overlay work with Xorg?
> Last time I emerged Xorg it completely broke my xawtv even when I was
> running xfree (under opengl-update)!

I was unable tu run xawtv successfully under xorg 6.8.0. I am using
xawdecode instead and it works great.

Bye.
--
Obstáculos es lo que ves cuando apartas la vista del objetivo.

Re: Re: should I switch to Xorg? [ In reply to ]
> I was unable tu run xawtv successfully under xorg 6.8.0. I am using
> xawdecode instead and it works great.

Maybe you have to wait until it is stable realese on portage tree... I
suppose that when the package is not masked it will be ok with
xawtv...

David GP

> Bye.
> --
> Obstáculos es lo que ves cuando apartas la vista del objetivo.

Me gusta la frase ;).