did emerge -UD world
did etc-update.
etc-update comes with 5 (now 4) files to merge, and on request, no
diffs are shown.

Cheers
Antoine
--
G System, The Evolving GUniverse - http://www.g-system.at

Re: horrible etc-update problem! [ In reply to ]
Antoine wrote, On 29.09.2004 19:25:
> Hi,
> There may be a bug for this but... etc-update is no longer showing the
> diffs between the files! Arrggh. How do I get around this? I thought
> it might have been just one, but the second one (of 5) shows no diffs
> either... I do not want to stuff up all my configs so any help here is
> appreciated.
> Prob is:
> did emerge -UD world
> did etc-update.
> etc-update comes with 5 (now 4) files to merge, and on request, no
> diffs are shown.
>
> Cheers
> Antoine

hmmm the only thing I could think of to check if your
diff command /etc/etc-update.conf is set right.
I have:

diff_command="colordiff -uN %file1 %file2"
using_editor=0

Maybe those files are really the same?

bye Thilo

Re: Re: horrible etc-update problem! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:20:40 +0200, Thilo Six <t.six@gmx.de> wrote:
> Antoine wrote, On 29.09.2004 19:25:
> > Hi,
> > There may be a bug for this but... etc-update is no longer showing the
> > diffs between the files! Arrggh. How do I get around this? I thought
> > it might have been just one, but the second one (of 5) shows no diffs
> > either... I do not want to stuff up all my configs so any help here is
> > appreciated.
> > Prob is:
> > did emerge -UD world
> > did etc-update.
> > etc-update comes with 5 (now 4) files to merge, and on request, no
> > diffs are shown.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Antoine

I just experienced the same thing. I ran etc-update, and out of 8
files, about half showed no difference between the two. The files were
related to XFree86, though I cannot now remember which files they were
exactly. I assumed that, because etc-update showed no differences, the
files were identical. Hmm, let's see if I get any strange system
behavior.

Matt

Re: Re: horrible etc-update problem! [ In reply to ]
Matthew Cline <matthew.cline@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:20:40 +0200, Thilo Six <t.six@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Antoine wrote, On 29.09.2004 19:25:
> > > Hi,
> > > There may be a bug for this but... etc-update is no longer showing the
> > > diffs between the files! Arrggh. How do I get around this? I thought
> > > it might have been just one, but the second one (of 5) shows no diffs
> > > either... I do not want to stuff up all my configs so any help here is
> > > appreciated.

> I just experienced the same thing. I ran etc-update, and out of 8
> files, about half showed no difference between the two. The files were
> related to XFree86, though I cannot now remember which files they were
> exactly.

I've merged X numerous times, though usually Xorg instead of XFree.
There's not much difference. Several of the /etc files are recognized
by diff as binary files, and so you don't get a diff. Probably you
should use the new versions, if this is what's happening.

--
Barry.Schwartz@acm.org http://www.livejournal.com/users/chemoelectric/
"It struck me as I was speaking to people in Bangor, Maine, that

Re: Re: horrible etc-update problem! [ In reply to ]
On чт, 2004-09-30 at 01:05, BarrySchwartz124@comcast.net wrote:
> Matthew Cline <matthew.cline@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I just experienced the same thing. I ran etc-update, and out of 8
> > files, about half showed no difference between the two. The files were
> > related to XFree86, though I cannot now remember which files they were
> > exactly.
>
> I've merged X numerous times, though usually Xorg instead of XFree.
> There's not much difference. Several of the /etc files are recognized
> by diff as binary files, and so you don't get a diff. Probably you
> should use the new versions, if this is what's happening.

Hi,
Also had something similar with X/Xorg. As i'm using meld in etc-update
config, after a new X is installed problems may appear when using X and
starting new apps /not already loaded and running ones/ as there already
are new X/libs in place, while u running previous X/libs & apps loaded
in memory.
So think it's better (specially after X update) to logout of X then
login and run etc-update. Or use etc-update in text console (w/o X).
HTH
Rumen
Re: Re: horrible etc-update problem! [ In reply to ]
Yes, I think etc-update should show what will be changed of the
configuration file.

Re: Re: horrible etc-update problem! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 03:35:33PM -0400, Matthew Cline wrote:
> > Antoine wrote, On 29.09.2004 19:25:
> > > Hi,
> > > There may be a bug for this but... etc-update is no longer showing the
> > > diffs between the files! Arrggh. How do I get around this? I thought
> > > it might have been just one, but the second one (of 5) shows no diffs
> > > either... I do not want to stuff up all my configs so any help here is
> > > appreciated.
> > > Prob is:
> > > did emerge -UD world
> > > did etc-update.
> > > etc-update comes with 5 (now 4) files to merge, and on request, no
> > > diffs are shown.

It would really help if you reported the files (reporting the exact
output is really the thing to do when you have trouble).

There is a case when etc-update (or diff) shows no differences BUT
says that "Files differ." or some such. This happens with binary
files (or all files that diff thinks are binary).

> I just experienced the same thing. I ran etc-update, and out of 8
> files, about half showed no difference between the two. The files were
> related to XFree86, though I cannot now remember which files they were
> exactly.

At least some X related files seem to be binary, for example some
keymap file. Can't remember now what it was ;-) but when I updated it,
my keymap changed from Finnish to US.

Hand-To-Hand,

Mikko

--
mikko.ruuska@solidtech.com --//-- research & development
http://www.solidtech.com

Re: Re: horrible etc-update problem! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:58:32 +0300, Mikko 'Mr. Ethics' Ruuska
<mikko.ruuska@solidtech.com> wrote:

> It would really help if you reported the files (reporting the exact
> output is really the thing to do when you have trouble).
>
> There is a case when etc-update (or diff) shows no differences BUT
> says that "Files differ." or some such. This happens with binary
> files (or all files that diff thinks are binary).
>
> > I just experienced the same thing. I ran etc-update, and out of 8
> > files, about half showed no difference between the two. The files were
> > related to XFree86, though I cannot now remember which files they were
> > exactly.
>
> At least some X related files seem to be binary, for example some
> keymap file. Can't remember now what it was ;-) but when I updated it,
> my keymap changed from Finnish to US.

Yip, they were X ones. Sorry for not mentioning that... I just had
never seen that before and got a bit scared... I ran a few automatic
updates on some heavily changed configs and was extremely annoyed to
have to relearn a lot of stuff to get back where I was...
All good now.
Cheers
Antoine

--