Mailing List Archive

phpWebsite (php) problem: Call to undefined function session_start()
Hi All,

When I tried to setup the phpWebsite, after completed first screen (some
data about DB server and some other things), I got the following error
message in the browser:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function session_start() in
/var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpwebsite/setup/setup.php on line 55

I'm not familiar (yet) in php and I can't pass this problem until now. I
tried to find on the net some info about this problem.

Somebody said, apache2.x and php don't like to each other (I don't think
so). This guy use SuSE, they start the Yast or similar to setup
something. After this step, it works for him. Of course, the real
problem unknown....

Another person adviced, setup something (but what?) in php.ini to got
working sessions (????? <- for me).

Did anybody run into this problem? Any solution / description of the
real problem, which is caused this error?

details:
apache 2.0.51-r1
php 5.0.1
mod_php 5.0.1
phpWebsite 0.9.3_p4-r1

Thank you,
István

Re: phpWebsite (php) problem: Call to undefined function session_start() [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 28 September 2004 22:58, Mac wrote:

> Fatal error: Call to undefined function session_start() in
> /var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpwebsite/setup/setup.php on line 55

> details:
> apache 2.0.51-r1
> php 5.0.1
> mod_php 5.0.1
> phpWebsite 0.9.3_p4-r1

PHP 5 has optional session support.
I'd imagine the USE flag for it would be 'session'.

emerge mod_php -pv

--
Mike Williams
Re: phpWebsite (php) problem: Call to undefined function session_start() [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I'm totally forgot to check the USE flags, thank you.
Now I'm upgrading php and mod_php setting up with lot of USE flags.

I must learn all USE flags and install all wanted packages with
carefully to avoid problems in the future.

I'll report for the result.

Bye, István

Re: phpWebsite (php) problem: Call to undefined function session_start() [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 29 September 2004 12:04, Mac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm totally forgot to check the USE flags, thank you.
> Now I'm upgrading php and mod_php setting up with lot of USE flags.
>
> I must learn all USE flags and install all wanted packages with
> carefully to avoid problems in the future.

No need to learn them, waaaaay too many to remember.
I got into the habit a long time ago to always do an 'emerge pacakge -pv' to
check USE flags before installing.

--
Mike Williams
Re: phpWebsite (php) problem: Call to undefined function session_start() [ In reply to ]
> I must learn all USE flags and install all wanted packages with
> carefully to avoid problems in the future.

Good luck with that, I think PHP overall has about 70+ (perhaps more)
USE flags. :)

Paul

Re: phpWebsite (php) problem: (SOLVED) [ In reply to ]
:)
Two things:
- don't use msession flag, because portage don't contain the related
package :)
- iodbc flag not supported yet

I used to check flags, but sometimes I can't figure out 4 example
session is important to phpwebsite :)

phpWebsite working now!!! Thanks! By the way, does anybody remember to
my admin password? I forgot it :)

The reason: I forgot add the session flag to the USE variable.

István

Re: phpWebsite (php) problem: Call to undefined function session_start() [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Paul Waring wrote:

> Good luck with that, I think PHP overall has about 70+ (perhaps more)
> USE flags. :)

41 to be precise (for php that is, mod_php has 40).

I do a lot of PHP stuff and I explicitly set my USE flags for php/mod_php
in /etc/portage/package.use on all of my servers.

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer

Re: phpWebsite (php) problem: Call to undefined function session_start() [ In reply to ]
2004-09-30, cs keltezéssel 18:42-kor Ajai Khattri ezt írta:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Paul Waring wrote:
>
> > Good luck with that, I think PHP overall has about 70+ (perhaps more)
> > USE flags. :)
>
> 41 to be precise (for php that is, mod_php has 40).
>
> I do a lot of PHP stuff and I explicitly set my USE flags for php/mod_php
> in /etc/portage/package.use on all of my servers.

One question to you: what is php_cgi and do I need it for something? Can
you explain in short the differences between the three php packages?

As I know at this level (very low :) php is the core, mod_php for apache
(for example) and php_cgi what for?

Thanx, István

Re: phpWebsite (php) problem: Call to undefined function session_start() [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Mac wrote:

> One question to you: what is php_cgi and do I need it for something? Can
> you explain in short the differences between the three php packages?
>
> As I know at this level (very low :) php is the core, mod_php for apache
> (for example) and php_cgi what for?

The php package is an interpreter that can be used to write pure PHP
scripts (in a similar fashion to shell scripts).

mod_php embeds the PHP interpreter into Apache such that PHP code in web
pages can be passed to it for execution.

The php-cgi package is for using PHP as a CGI environment (similar to
Perl). Apache, when running a CGI process will start a sub-process, load
the CGI interpreter (i.e. Perl, or a shell or php-cgi) and then execute
the script before returning the output back to the browser.

Naturally, mod_php gives you the best performance (no sub-process needed
and the interpreter is always loaded as part of Apache). CGI processing
tends to be the slowest way to provide web functionality.

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer

Re: phpWebsite (php) problem: Call to undefined function session_start() [ In reply to ]
Thank you!
István