I have a P4 processor and 256M RAM. Why they are so slow? Any idea? Do
i need more RAM (swap is used when i run them)?

Thanks in advance.
Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

>On Wednesday 29 September 2004 01:28, Salvador Blasco Llopis wrote:
>

>>Hi everybody:
>> I've emerged some games: freedroidrpg and vegastrike. Both run
>>terribly slow in my laptop. It may be opengl, both use it. don't they?
>>I have a P4 processor and 256M RAM. Why they are so slow? Any idea? Do
>>i need more RAM (swap is used when i run them)?
>>

>hard to say without any information, isn't it?
>
>You could have at least posted which chip your laptop you are using, what you
>have done to get ogl installed&setup, and output of glxinfo/xorg.log. But
>since you said nothing at all, I would say: you forgot opengl-update blabla,
>or botched your config, or forgot something else. Oh, and vegastrike really
>is a big memory hog. 256mb ram is not very much with this monster (but, it is
>fun to play.. hehe).

i just emerged vegastrike to see what its all about, but.....how to you
run the thing? vega+tab+tab brings back nothing, there is a vsinstall
file but it brings up some error, is there something im missing or
should a plain emerge vegastrike give me a playable game?

nick

Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]

--
Conclusions
In a straight-up fight, the Empire squashes the Federation like a bug. Even

Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
Salvador Blasco Llopis wrote:
> Hi everybody:
> I've emerged some games: freedroidrpg and vegastrike. Both run
> terribly slow in my laptop. It may be opengl, both use it. don't they?
> I have a P4 processor and 256M RAM. Why they are so slow? Any idea? Do
> i need more RAM (swap is used when i run them)?
>
> Thanks in advance.

What is your video chip, and what drivers are you using for it?

Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org wrote:

> Hi everybody:
> I've emerged some games: freedroidrpg and vegastrike. Both run
> terribly slow in my laptop. It may be opengl, both use it. don't they?
> I have a P4 processor and 256M RAM. Why they are so slow? Any idea? Do
> i need more RAM (swap is used when i run them)?
>

> Thanks in advance.

Maybe your graphics-card isn't properly installed. Try

$ glxinfo | grep rendering

You should then get

direct rendering: Yes

If not, read http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/dri-howto.xml

Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Nick Smith wrote:

> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:05:15 +0000
> From: Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com>
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] opengl very slow
>
> Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday 29 September 2004 01:28, Salvador Blasco Llopis wrote:
> >

> >>Hi everybody:
> >> I've emerged some games: freedroidrpg and vegastrike. Both run
> >>terribly slow in my laptop. It may be opengl, both use it. don't they?
> >>I have a P4 processor and 256M RAM. Why they are so slow? Any idea? Do
> >>i need more RAM (swap is used when i run them)?
> >>

> >hard to say without any information, isn't it?
> >
> >You could have at least posted which chip your laptop you are using, what you
> >have done to get ogl installed&setup, and output of glxinfo/xorg.log. But
> >since you said nothing at all, I would say: you forgot opengl-update blabla,
> >or botched your config, or forgot something else. Oh, and vegastrike really
> >is a big memory hog. 256mb ram is not very much with this monster (but, it is
> >fun to play.. hehe).
> >

> i just emerged vegastrike to see what its all about, but.....how to you
> run the thing? vega+tab+tab brings back nothing, there is a vsinstall
> file but it brings up some error, is there something im missing or
> should a plain emerge vegastrike give me a playable game?
>
> nick

You should run vsinstall, solve the problems if there are any, and after
it there will a vs* executable which will start the game.
vsinstall will create some files in your $HOME dir, so all user should
do it, who wants play.

Cheers,
Tamas Sarga
--
A day is 24 hours long. Egy nap 24 órából áll.
A box of beer contains 24 bottles. Egy tálcán 24 üveg sör van.

Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
Salvador Blasco Llopis wrote:
> On 02:48 Wed 29 Sep , Mirco Antonio Coralles wrote:
>
>>Maybe your graphics-card isn't properly installed. Try
>>
>>$ glxinfo | grep rendering
>>
>>You should then get
>>
>>direct rendering: Yes
>

> Yes. You were right. The answer was no.
>

>>If not, read http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/dri-howto.xml
>>

> I've read it. I have the kernel properly (i think) configured:
> * MTTR is set
> * /dev/agpgart is set (not as module)
> * config_agp_intel is set for my Intel 852GME
> * direct rendiring (i830) is set. The howto says not to set it
> because you should emerge xfree-drm but it doesn't exist in portage.

No, but

x11-drm

does, and that's probably what you should use. The how-to you're using
would seem to have been written before X.org became a serious player.
These days, you always have to look out for XFree-specific references
and see if there is now a generic X server alternative/workaround.

> I use xorg.
>
> In my xorg.conf (created by Xorg -configure) says:
<snip>

> but no section "dri" exists. Should i add it? Is everything right?
>
> Thank you very much for your help.

If I was you, I would unset direct rendiring (i830) in the kernel,
recompile and reboot, emerge x11-drm, and re-run xorgconfig.

Hope this helps.

Holly

Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 28 September 2004 22:05, Nick Smith wrote:
> Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

> i just emerged vegastrike to see what its all about, but.....how to you
> run the thing? vega+tab+tab brings back nothing, there is a vsinstall
> file but it brings up some error, is there something im missing or
> should a plain emerge vegastrike give me a playable game?

I used the vs-install-script from the vs-homepage:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

I complaint about the bugs in their forums, until they got fixed and have vs
0.42 now running fine.

Re: Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
Use vsinstall to set things up. Then you can run vslauncher to select new, save, games, etc. Or just run vegastrike and the game starts.

I found that vslauncher has problems - it won't launch an option selection but complains about something in X not synching (I'm not at the machine so I don't have the exact message).

I saw it mentioned here, merged it last night. It looks like a neat game.

Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
On 02:48 Wed 29 Sep , Mirco Antonio Coralles wrote:

> Maybe your graphics-card isn't properly installed. Try
>
> $ glxinfo | grep rendering
>
> You should then get
>
> direct rendering: Yes

Yes. You were right. The answer was no.

> If not, read http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/dri-howto.xml

I've read it. I have the kernel properly (i think) configured:
* MTTR is set
* /dev/agpgart is set (not as module)
* config_agp_intel is set for my Intel 852GME
* direct rendiring (i830) is set. The howto says not to set it
because you should emerge xfree-drm but it doesn't exist in portage.
I use xorg.

In my xorg.conf (created by Xorg -configure) says:

Section "Module"
Load "dri"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "i810"
VendorName "Intel Corp."
BoardName "82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
On 17:11 Wed 29 Sep , Holly Bostick wrote:

> If I was you, I would unset direct rendiring (i830) in the kernel,
> recompile and reboot, emerge x11-drm, and re-run xorgconfig.

Calculating dependencies  ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) x11-base/x11-drm-4.3.0-r7 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) xfree-drm-4.3.0-r7-gentoo-0.4.tar.bz2
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) linux-drm-4.3.0-kernelsource-20031202.tar.bz2

!!! ERROR: x11-base/x11-drm-4.3.0-r7 failed.
!!! Function pkg_setup, Line 72, Exitcode 0
!!! Please link //usr/src/linux to 2.4 kernel sources. x11-drm does not yet work with 2.6 kernels, use the DRM in the kernel.

What else can i try?
Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
Salvador Blasco Llopis wrote:
> On 17:11 Wed 29 Sep , Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>>If I was you, I would unset direct rendiring (i830) in the kernel,
>>recompile and reboot, emerge x11-drm, and re-run xorgconfig.
>>

> Calculating dependencies  ...done!

> !!! ERROR: x11-base/x11-drm-4.3.0-r7 failed.
> !!! Function pkg_setup, Line 72, Exitcode 0
> !!! Please link //usr/src/linux to 2.4 kernel sources. x11-drm does not yet work with 2.6 kernels, use the DRM in the kernel.
>
> What else can i try?

what chip do you have on your videocard?

--

Adi

Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org wrote:

> On 02:48 Wed 29 Sep , Mirco Antonio Coralles wrote:
>>
>> Maybe your graphics-card isn't properly installed. Try
>>
>> $ glxinfo | grep rendering
>>
>> You should then get
>>
>> direct rendering: Yes
>

> Yes. You were right. The answer was no.
>

>> If not, read http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/dri-howto.xml
>>

> I've read it. I have the kernel properly (i think) configured:
> * MTTR is set
> * /dev/agpgart is set (not as module)
> * config_agp_intel is set for my Intel 852GME
> * direct rendiring (i830) is set. The howto says not to set it
> because you should emerge xfree-drm but it doesn't exist in portage.
> I use xorg.
>

> In my xorg.conf (created by Xorg -configure) says:

> Section "Module"
> Load "dri"
> Load "glx"
> EndSection

> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Card0"
> Driver "i810"
> VendorName "Intel Corp."
> BoardName "82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device"
> BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
> EndSection
>

> but no section "dri" exists. Should i add it? Is everything right?

If you now get "yes" instead of "no" it should be ok.
If not:

Configure and recompile your kernel+modules exactly like it is described
in the howto. Restart into your new kernel then and add the line
VIDEO_CARDS="your_card" to our /etc/make.conf. After that emerge
x11-drm. Now add

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

to the end of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart X. I think this should
work ....

> Thank you very much for your help.

No problem,
antonio

Re: opengl very slow [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 07:25:57PM +0000, Salvador Blasco Llopis wrote:
> Calculating dependencies  ...done!
>
> !!! ERROR: x11-base/x11-drm-4.3.0-r7 failed.
> !!! Function pkg_setup, Line 72, Exitcode 0
> !!! Please link //usr/src/linux to 2.4 kernel sources. x11-drm does not yet work with 2.6 kernels, use the DRM in the kernel.
>
> What else can i try?

emerge sync
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge x11-drm

I get x11-drm-20040827, which works with 2.6..