computer i have to hard reset it. has anyone done this before? is there
something i have to do special to get it to work?
thanks for the help

nick
--
ComputerNick a.k.a. Nick Smith
Email - Nick@ComputerNick.com
Web - http://www.ComputerNick.com

Re: problems with raid install [ In reply to ]
What kind of RAID? I have Adaptec hardware RAID that worked fine. I
setup up the array using the Adaptec firmware menus and Gentoo sees it as
/dev/sda. If it's software or IDE RAID someone else will have to help
you.

Re: problems with raid install [ In reply to ]
Brett I. Holcomb said:
> What kind of RAID? I have Adaptec hardware RAID that worked fine. I
> setup up the array using the Adaptec firmware menus and Gentoo sees it
> as /dev/sda. If it's software or IDE RAID someone else will have to
> help you.

its a software raid, i have 2 scsi disks on a symbios card both are
detected at bootup, i have solved the screen blanking problem, for some
reason i have to use the smp-nofb this time around. i just installed
gentoo on this box on an ide drive and didnt have to do that, i got the
nice gui installer console, but with these scsi disks in i have to use the
nofb flag, i dont know how they relate but oh well, now im having problems
when i do smp-nofb doscsi, it gets down to scanning for all the scsi cards
it gets down to my driver the symXX something one and it just hangs there
forever even though it is the correct module. so now im stuck again!
argh.
help please

nick

Re: problems with raid install [ In reply to ]
Brett I. Holcomb said:
> What kind of RAID? I have Adaptec hardware RAID that worked fine. I
> setup up the array using the Adaptec firmware menus and Gentoo sees it
> as /dev/sda. If it's software or IDE RAID someone else will have to
> help you.

actuall let me add a little bit more, now i get a kernel panic when i do
smp-nofb doscsi
"kernel panic: attempted to kill an idle take
an idle task - not syncing"

any ideas? could it be my disks? i just got them but that doesnt mean they
arent bad, could it be the card? this keeps getting worse and worse
nick

Re: problems with raid install [ In reply to ]
Hmm, have you tried just booting to the CD without scanning the SCSI
(noscsi?) and then loading the modules for the RAID.

Another thing to try is do a noacpi at boot. I had one system that would
not boot and one of the people on this list suggest that - it worked.