Mailing List Archive

New installation, local TTY(s) freezes shortly after boot
I've just completed a new installation using:

stage2
gentoo-dev-sources (kernel-2.6.8-gentoo-r3)
genkernel all

When booting I get the following ...

vesafb: S3 Garphics Incorporated., VBE 3.0, Rev 0.0 (OEM: S3 Graphics
ProSavage DDR Family BIOS)
vesafb: VBE version: 3.0
vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:7082
vesafb: pmi: set display start = c00c7110, set palette = c00c7159
vesafb: hardware supports DCC2 transfers
vesafb: monitor limits: vf = 0 Hz, hf = 0 kHz, clk = 0 MHz
vesafb: scrolling: redraw
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xe0000000, mapped to 0xde807000, size 16384k
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
***** console output stops here *****
vesafb: mode switch failed (eax: 0x14f)
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30

... after "input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0" the console
freezes, obviously because the "vesafb mode switch failed".

The system continues to boot and I can login via ssh. So aside from the minor
inconvenience of not being able to use it locally it is AFAICS functional.

OK, I did some further testing. If I add these kernel options:

vga=ask splash=verbose

then these are the only modes that "work":

112 640x480x24
115 800x600x24
118 1024x768x24

When I say "work" I mean that they won't be rejected as "invalid mode ID". All
they bring up is a totally blank screen, bootup continues as normal, I can
login using ssh, but again local useability is zero. dmesg shows more or less
the same as above (vesafb: mode switch failed).

Any ideas on how I might go about solving this problem?

Is there any easy way to have a 2.6 kernel that acts just like the one on the
LiveCD?

Is there any way to get it not to use vesafb at all?

thanks
--
Jason Wong