Mailing List Archive

Samba Problem?
I'm getting this in my Samba log whenever I start Samba:

[2004/09/17 23:42:12, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(664)
Netbios nameserver version 3.0.7 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2004
[2004/09/17 23:42:12, 0] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(2435)
Unknown parameter encountered: "read size"
[2004/09/17 23:42:12, 0] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(3125)
Ignoring unknown parameter "read size"

My smb.conf:

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
log file = /var/log/samba3/log.%m
load printers = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192
map to guest = bad user
encrypt passwords = yes
printer admin = @adm
dns proxy = no
netbios name = hcfs
server string = hcfs
printing = cups
workgroup = HC
os level = 20
printcap name = cups
security = user
getwd cache = yes
max log size = 50
read size = 1024

[homes]
browseable = no
comment = Home Directories
writable = yes
available = no

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r # using client side
printer drivers.
; print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers (use
generic PostScript on clients).
# The following two commands are the samba defaults for printing=cups
# change them only if you need different options:
; lpq command = lpq -P %p
; lprm command = cancel %p-%j

# This share is used for Windows NT-style point-and-print support.
# To be able to install drivers, you need to be either root, or listed
# in the printer admin parameter above. Note that you also need write access
# to the directory and share definition to be able to upload the drivers.
# For more information on this, please see the Printing Support Section of
# /usr/share/doc/samba-<version>/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
[print$]
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
browseable = yes
read only = yes
write list = @adm root
guest ok = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
;[tmp]
; comment = Temporary file space
; path = /tmp
; read only = no
; public = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
;[public]
; comment = Public Stuff
; path = /home/samba/public
; public = yes
; writable = no
; write list = @staff
# Audited directory through experimental VFS audit.so module:
# Uncomment next line.
; vfs object = /usr/lib/samba/vfs/audit.so

# Other examples.
#
# A private printer, usable only by Fred. Spool data will be placed in
Fred's
# home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool
directory,
# wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
; comment = Fred's Printer
; valid users = fred
; path = /homes/fred
; printer = freds_printer
; public = no
; writable = no
; printable = yes

# a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
# this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
# also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
# The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
; comment = PC Directories
; path = /usr/pc/%m
; public = no
; writable = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that
all files
# created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
# any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
# directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of
course
# be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead.
;[public]
; path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
; public = yes
; only guest = yes
; writable = yes
; printable = no
# The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
# users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users.
In this
# setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
# sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
# as many users as required.
;[myshare]
; comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
; path = /usr/somewhere/shared
; valid users = mary fred
; public = no
; writable = yes
; printable = no
; create mask = 0765

[yeahwho]
comment = YeahWho Projects
valid users = @yeahwho
writeable = yes
create mode = 770
path = /yeahwho
directory mode = 770

[Network]
comment = Network
writeable = yes
valid users = @internal
path = /data/Network

[Users]
comment = Users
valid users = @rogeronly
writeable = yes
path = /data/users

[Qbdata]
writeable = yes
path = /data/qbdata
force group = root
force user = root
comment = Qbdata
valid users = @financial
create mode = 770
directory mode = 770

[Qbbakup]
comment = Qbbackup
writeable = yes
valid users = @financial
path = /data/qbbakup

[Extra]
comment = Extra
writeable = yes
valid users = @internal
path = /extra

[Woof]
comment = Woof
valid users = @rogeronly
writeable = yes
create mode = 770
path = /woof
directory mode = 770

Even with this error(s) it seems to be working fine, should I be worried?

Thanks,
Kent