something like "emerge world --except kde" is possible. I also didn't find
anythin in man emerge.

Thanks

Re: How to exclude packages from emerge world ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:55:27 +0200, Humbaba <humbaba@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi
> I am wondering whether the is a possibilty to exclude certain (big) packages
> from emerge world. For instance, when I don't want to upgrade from kde 3.2.3
> to kde 3.2.4. I have allready searched the gentoo forum for a solution. The
> only thing I found is to mask all version of a certain package
> in /etc/portage/package.mask above the version I currently use.
> for example:

The easiest suggestion I can think of would be to delete the directory
for that ebuild from the portage tree. If it can't emerge the package
if it can't see it.. Though that could get annoying because every time
you do an emerge sync it will put the directory for the ebuild
back.... I don't know of any flags to portage.

--
-Jokr 2 Thief
Your speedbump on the information super highway.

Re: How to exclude packages from emerge world ? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:23:41 -0400
Jokr2 Thief <jokr2thief@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:55:27 +0200, Humbaba <humbaba@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Hi
> > I am wondering whether the is a possibilty to exclude certain (big) packages
> > from emerge world. For instance, when I don't want to upgrade from kde 3.2.3
> > to kde 3.2.4. I have allready searched the gentoo forum for a solution. The
> > only thing I found is to mask all version of a certain package
> > in /etc/portage/package.mask above the version I currently use.
> > for example:
>
> The easiest suggestion I can think of would be to delete the directory
> for that ebuild from the portage tree. If it can't emerge the package
> if it can't see it.. Though that could get annoying because every time
> you do an emerge sync it will put the directory for the ebuild
> back.... I don't know of any flags to portage.

well you could avoid using world and pick the packages you want to
update, or you could use pye (pick your emerge) from http://dev.gentoo.org/~strangedr/

don't delete stuff from your portage tree, it'll just get reinstated
when you rsync anyway.

Re: How to exclude packages from emerge world ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:55:27 +0200, Humbaba wrote:

> I am wondering whether the is a possibilty to exclude certain (big) packages
> from emerge world. For instance, when I don't want to upgrade from kde 3.2.3
> to kde 3.2.4.

Why not just remove kde from your 'world' file, and update it yourself
when you want?

--
Lenroc

Re: How to exclude packages from emerge world ? [ In reply to ]
> > The easiest suggestion I can think of would be to delete the directory
> > for that ebuild from the portage tree. If it can't emerge the package
> > if it can't see it.. Though that could get annoying because every time
> > you do an emerge sync it will put the directory for the ebuild
> > back....

> don't delete stuff from your portage tree, it'll just get reinstated
> when you rsync anyway.

Is there an echo in here?

Re: How to exclude packages from emerge world ? [ In reply to ]
> well you could avoid using world and pick the packages you want to
> update, or you could use pye (pick your emerge) from
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~strangedr/
pye is exactly what i searched for.
Thanks.