-march=pentium4 in a Pentium 3.
Hi All,

How safe would it be to try to boot up a Pentium 3 with a gentoo system that
was installed using -march=pentium4? I expect that some programs will die
with some kind of 'illegal instruction' possibly, but would it be
potentially damaging? or just unstable?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: -march=pentium4 in a Pentium 3. [ In reply to ]
Tom Eastman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How safe would it be to try to boot up a Pentium 3 with a gentoo system that
> was installed using -march=pentium4? I expect that some programs will die
> with some kind of 'illegal instruction' possibly, but would it be
> potentially damaging? or just unstable?

I suppose that it could be damaging to your filesystem, at most. But
in no way it can destroy your hardware.

> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Alexander Skwar
--
panic("aha1740.c"); /* Goodbye */
2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aha1740.c

Re: -march=pentium4 in a Pentium 3. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:07:05 +1200, Tom Eastman <tom@cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> How safe would it be to try to boot up a Pentium 3 with a gentoo system that
> was installed using -march=pentium4? I expect that some programs will die
> with some kind of 'illegal instruction' possibly, but would it be
> potentially damaging? or just unstable?

I'm not sure from which -O on gcc generates SSE2 instructions, and if
gcc even generates them at all if not forced to do so. There have been
some Problems with gcc and SSE2. Do you know the exact compiler flags
used?
Chances are, that you don't have any programs with SSE2 instructions.

Anyway, it won't destroy your hardware, as Alex said.

Jonas

--
Jonas Witt <jonas.witt@gmail.com>