Mailing List Archive

Synaptics Touch Pad [NOT SOLVED]
Many thanks for the replies to this list. I have copied the info & stashed it
for future use.

The fact is, unless I can get the ppp0/pppd figured out I cannot use the
distro for its intended purpose, and that is too bad. I have tried wvdial &
kppp --both of which will connect & instantaneously disconnect/redial. I
cannot negotiate any permanent connection. Since I am running a file server
I can't spend an open-ended amount of time poking around in the config files
trying to spot why gentoo --using the same settings as my other distro--
won't stay connected using the same dialer.

Once this elist encounters someone w/a similar problem as mine I hope to get
Gentoo working. I don't really need a gui... I *do* need the CLI, with the
ability to dial into the internet. I also need a distro that isn't going to
lock up on every 2nd or 3rd boot ..and Gentoo is the winner in that area! :-)

Again, many thanks for all the replies, to date, that helped me at least get
as far as I did! :o) Since I have been playing with this since before 2004.2
came out, I guess I can wait a bit & monitor the elist.

Best...
--
..."Yogi" CH
Namasté Yoga Studio

Re: Synaptics Touch Pad [NOT SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
C Hamel wrote:
> Many thanks for the replies to this list. I have copied the info & stashed it
> for future use.
>
> The fact is, unless I can get the ppp0/pppd figured out I cannot use the
> distro for its intended purpose, and that is too bad. I have tried wvdial &
> kppp --both of which will connect & instantaneously disconnect/redial. I
> cannot negotiate any permanent connection. Since I am running a file server
> I can't spend an open-ended amount of time poking around in the config files
> trying to spot why gentoo --using the same settings as my other distro--
> won't stay connected using the same dialer.

Running emerge -s ppp, I see many different packages you can try...
Avoid pppoe, ppp_over_ethernet, as regular ppp dialup is what you
want. Most of the time the trouble with ppp is what the ISP expects on
the the other end (chap, pap ....) Have you contacted your ISP to see
what they say about what packages to use, and any help getting ppp
working?

Try some of the packages listed:
net-dialup/ppp
net-dialup/pppconfig
net-dialup/gnome-ppp

emerge -pv wvdials reveals:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild N ] net-dialup/ppp-2.4.1-r14 -activefilter +crypt -ipv6
543 kB
[ebuild N ] net-libs/wvstreams-3.70-r2 -debug 178 kB
[ebuild N ] net-dialup/wvdial-1.53-r1 66 kB

James