have to keep your eye out for, or does modutils now belong on this
system?

- Grant

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 20:29, Grant wrote:
> When I emerged hardened-sources I had to remove modutils because it
> was blocking a different required modules package. Now emerge -uD
> world wants to emerge modutils. Is this one of those situations you
> have to keep your eye out for, or does modutils now belong on this
> system?

2.6 kernels require module-init-tools, but until recently they would co-exist
happily enough. I think someone noticed that should modutils be updated after
module-init-tools, it'd hose your system.
So, uninstall moutils, and install module-init-tools, it'll work with 2.4 and
2.6 kernels.

- --
Mike Williams

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:38:49 +0100, Mike Williams <mike@gaima.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 September 2004 20:29, Grant wrote:
> > When I emerged hardened-sources I had to remove modutils because it
> > was blocking a different required modules package. Now emerge -uD
> > world wants to emerge modutils. Is this one of those situations you
> > have to keep your eye out for, or does modutils now belong on this
> > system?
>
> 2.6 kernels require module-init-tools, but until recently they would co-exist
> happily enough. I think someone noticed that should modutils be updated after
> module-init-tools, it'd hose your system.
> So, uninstall moutils, and install module-init-tools, it'll work with 2.4 and
> 2.6 kernels.

Actually module-init-tools is already installed. That's why I'm
wondering why it wants to install modutils. I'm on a 2.4 kernel, but
hardened-sources requires module-init-tools. During installation I
had to remove modutils so I could install module-init-tools.

- Grant

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 20:38 +0100, Mike Williams wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 September 2004 20:29, Grant wrote:
> > When I emerged hardened-sources I had to remove modutils because it
> > was blocking a different required modules package. Now emerge -uD
> > world wants to emerge modutils. Is this one of those situations you
> > have to keep your eye out for, or does modutils now belong on this
> > system?
>
> 2.6 kernels require module-init-tools, but until recently they would co-exist
> happily enough. I think someone noticed that should modutils be updated after
> module-init-tools, it'd hose your system.
> So, uninstall moutils, and install module-init-tools, it'll work with 2.4 and
> 2.6 kernels.

I have modutils in my /etc/portage/package.mask since I did an upgrade
world which installed modutils without me knowing. A month later, i
rebooted and didn't have any network support because I couldn't load my
modules. I had to boot with a live cd, copy the need module-init-tools
file into distfiles, then boot back into gentoo and re-emerge it.
modutils will quickly leave you with a broken system !

Mark

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]

> I have modutils in my /etc/portage/package.mask since I did an upgrade
> world which installed modutils without me knowing. A month later, i
> rebooted and didn't have any network support because I couldn't load my
> modules. I had to boot with a live cd, copy the need module-init-tools
> file into distfiles, then boot back into gentoo and re-emerge it.
> modutils will quickly leave you with a broken system !
>
> Mark

So is the user-community concensus decision that systems like this
need to emerge -C modutils?

flash mark $ qpkg -I | grep modutils
sys-apps/modutils *
flash mark $ qpkg -I | grep module-init-tools
sys-apps/module-init-tools *
flash mark $ uname -a
Linux flash 2.6.8-ck8 #2 Wed Sep 22 11:28:06 PDT 2004 i686 Mobile
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:29:07 -0700, Grant wrote:

> I had to remove modutils because it was blocking a different required
> modules package. Now emerge -uD world wants to emerge modutils.

Is modutils still in your world file?

/var/cache/edb/world

--
Lenroc

Re: Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:14:28 -0700, Lenroc <lenroc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:29:07 -0700, Grant wrote:
>
> > I had to remove modutils because it was blocking a different required
> > modules package. Now emerge -uD world wants to emerge modutils.
>
> Is modutils still in your world file?
>
> /var/cache/edb/world
>
> --
> Lenroc

It is definitely not in my world file.

- Grant

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
> I have modutils in my /etc/portage/package.mask since I did an upgrade
> world which installed modutils without me knowing. A month later, i
> rebooted and didn't have any network support because I couldn't load my
> modules. I had to boot with a live cd, copy the need module-init-tools
> file into distfiles, then boot back into gentoo and re-emerge it.
> modutils will quickly leave you with a broken system !
>
> Mark

Exactly what I'm worried about.

- Grant

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Daniel Drake:

>Hi,
>
>Mark Knecht wrote:
>> So is the user-community concensus decision that systems like this
>> need to emerge -C modutils?
>
>modutils provides tools such as modprobe, depmod, lsmod, ..., for 2.4
> kernels. module-init-tools provides similar tools (with the same names) for
> 2.6 kernels. module-init-tools also provides binaries such as modprobe.old,
> depmod.old, ..., which are for 2.4 (taken from modutils I believe).
>
>I'm assuming that you went from 2.4 to 2.6 at some point. When you used 2.4,
>you would have had modutils installed. When you went to 2.6, you would have
>merged module-init-tools (probably as a dependency). module-init-tools would
>have overwritten the 2.4 modutils with its own binaries. You then boot into
>2.6, your modules will load, all is happy. This worked for a while.
>
>However, you still have modutils installed. A new modutils enters portage. A
>gazillion users (who are running 2.6) merge it, not knowing the difference
>between modutils and module-init-tools. modutils overwrites the 2.6
>module-init-tools binaries. You reboot, and you can't load modules.
>
>To try and combat this, we have made modutils block module-init-tools. I
> don't regard this as a perfect solution, its still too confusing and not
> documented.
>
>I've just come up with an idea which might clear things up, I'll have a go
> at hacking it into place.
>
>Daniel

Then someone needs to be aware that there was a recent change made somewhere
for hardened users that is causing modutils to be installed for no reason. I
just noticed this last night. My /etc/make.profile is symlinked
to /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/x86/2.6, I do not have modutils installed
anywhere. It is not in my world file. In my virtuals file I have
sys-apps/modutils virtualised by module-init-tools. So as far as I can tell,
there would be no reason modutils needs to be installed. I have never run the
2.4 kernel at all on this system.

But last night I emerge sync'ed, and did an emerge -vpuD world and to my great
surprise and chagrin, modutils was going to be installed (marked with an N).
So I masked it. But before I did that, I poked around in the hardened
profiles and noticed that in the virtuals files in the hardened profiles
directory tree, there were lines such as "sys-apps/modutils
sys-apps/modutils", ie, modutils was a virtual for modutils?! I thought this
was weird,. so I changed the latter modutils to module-init-tools and reran
emerge -vpuD world. The modutils install went away. I'm not sure what's up
with this but hopefully one of you Gentoo folks will know if this is supposed
to be happening or not.

Incidentally, I don't even use any kernel modules and my kernel is compiled
without loadable module support. So this whole exercise for me has been
rather academic.

Cheers,
Ed

>--

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have
been searching for evidence which could support this."
--Bertrand Russell.

"The American empire is ideological, not territorial. We are the most
ideological people in the world, and we are so united in our view that we
don't understand there can be other views."
--Lt. Gen. William Odom, ret. (Former Director of NSA).

"When I was in school, I cheated on my metaphysics exam: I looked into the
soul of the boy sitting next to me.
--Woody Allen

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love."
--Charlie Brown

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
> Actually module-init-tools is already installed. That's why I'm
> wondering why it wants to install modutils. I'm on a 2.4 kernel, but
> hardened-sources requires module-init-tools. During installation I
> had to remove modutils so I could install module-init-tools.

Take a look at the world-file in /var/cache/edb, and check if it
contains an entry for modutils. Remove the line from the file, and
everything should be OK. I had exactly that case on one of my systems.

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
> It is definitely not in my world file.

OK, ignore my last post. modutils was not in my world file, but in the
virtuals-file in /var/cache/edb. Is modutils in there perhaps?

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Re: Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:10:10 +0200, Sven Köhler <skoehler@upb.de> wrote:
> > It is definitely not in my world file.
>
> OK, ignore my last post. modutils was not in my world file, but in the
> virtuals-file in /var/cache/edb. Is modutils in there perhaps?

Very interesting, I'd never looked in the virtuals file before. I do have this:

virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools

Are there any docs on this file? I see some things I'd like to
correct but I'm not totally sure how it all works.

- Grant

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
>>OK, ignore my last post. modutils was not in my world file, but in the
>>virtuals-file in /var/cache/edb. Is modutils in there perhaps?
>
> Very interesting, I'd never looked in the virtuals file before. I do have this:
>
> virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools

Well, that's the correct entry. And portage still wants to install
modutils? Strange ....

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
> Which version of portage? Might be helpful if you posted "emerge info".
>
> Thanks
>
> Daniel

bash-2.05b# emerge info
Portage 2.0.50-r11 (x86, gcc-3.3.4, glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r1, 2.4.27-hardened-r2)
System uname: 2.4.27-hardened-r2 i686 Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.0
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER=""
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config
/usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs ccache sandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage//packages/x86/"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage/"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X acl caps crypt cscope gtk2 gtkhtml hardened java jpeg kerberos
krb4 mailwrapper mmx motif ncurses pam pcre perl pic png python
readline spell sse ssl tcpd tiff truetype unicode x86 zlib"

bash-2.05b# emerge -puDv world

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild U ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.4-r5 [5.4-r1] -bootstrap -build
-debug -debug -doc -(uclibc) +unicode 0 kB
[ebuild U ] media-libs/libpng-1.2.7 [1.2.5-r8] -debug 370 kB
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/modutils-2.4.25 -debug 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 370 kB

- Grant

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Daniel Drake:

>Hi,
>
>Edward Epstein wrote:
>> Then someone needs to be aware that there was a recent change made
>> somewhere for hardened users that is causing modutils to be installed for
>> no reason. I just noticed this last night. My /etc/make.profile is
>> symlinked
>> to /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/x86/2.6, I do not have modutils
>> installed anywhere. It is not in my world file. In my virtuals file I have
>> sys-apps/modutils virtualised by module-init-tools. So as far as I can
>> tell, there would be no reason modutils needs to be installed. I have
>> never run the 2.4 kernel at all on this system.
>
>Which version of portage? Might be helpful if you posted "emerge info".

You're right, my bad. Many apologies.

Portage 2.0.50-r11 (2.6, gcc-3.3.4, glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r1,
2.6.7-hardened-r8)
System uname: 2.6.7-hardened-r8 i686
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-Os -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER=""
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-Os -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs ccache sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.ccccom.com ftp://gentoo.ccccom.com
http://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo ftp://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage//packages/x86/"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage/"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/etc/portage/overlay"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X acpi alsa arts avi berkdb cdr crypt curl dbx divx4linux dvd encode esd
exif flac freetype ftp gdbm gif gphoto2 gpm gtk2 hardened hardenedphp
icqimlib innodb jpeg kde libwww mad maildir mmx motif mpeg mysql nls
objprelink oggvorbis opengl pam perl pic pie png postgres python qt quicktime
readline samba sdl slang sse ssl svg svga tcpd tidy tiff truetype usb
wxwindows x86 xine xinerama xmms xv xvid zlib"

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 23 September 2004 06:57, Edward Epstein wrote:
> Thus spake Daniel Drake:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Mark Knecht wrote:
> >> So is the user-community concensus decision that systems like this
> >> need to emerge -C modutils?
> >
> >modutils provides tools such as modprobe, depmod, lsmod, ..., for 2.4
> > kernels. module-init-tools provides similar tools (with the same names)
> > for 2.6 kernels. module-init-tools also provides binaries such as
> > modprobe.old, depmod.old, ..., which are for 2.4 (taken from modutils I
> > believe).
> >
> >I'm assuming that you went from 2.4 to 2.6 at some point. When you used
> > 2.4, you would have had modutils installed. When you went to 2.6, you
> > would have merged module-init-tools (probably as a dependency).
> > module-init-tools would have overwritten the 2.4 modutils with its own
> > binaries. You then boot into 2.6, your modules will load, all is happy.
> > This worked for a while.
> >
> >However, you still have modutils installed. A new modutils enters portage.
> > A gazillion users (who are running 2.6) merge it, not knowing the
> > difference between modutils and module-init-tools. modutils overwrites
> > the 2.6 module-init-tools binaries. You reboot, and you can't load
> > modules.
> >
> >To try and combat this, we have made modutils block module-init-tools. I
> > don't regard this as a perfect solution, its still too confusing and not
> > documented.
> >
> >I've just come up with an idea which might clear things up, I'll have a go
> > at hacking it into place.
> >
> >Daniel
>
> Then someone needs to be aware that there was a recent change made
> somewhere for hardened users that is causing modutils to be installed for
> no reason. I just noticed this last night. My /etc/make.profile is
> symlinked
> to /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/x86/2.6, I do not have modutils installed
> anywhere. It is not in my world file. In my virtuals file I have
> sys-apps/modutils virtualised by module-init-tools. So as far as I can
> tell, there would be no reason modutils needs to be installed. I have never
> run the 2.4 kernel at all on this system.

If you are still running portage-2.0.50-rx, you should have a line that goes
something like "virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools" -
virtual/modutils rather than sys-apps/modutils.

> But last night I emerge sync'ed, and did an emerge -vpuD world and to my
> great surprise and chagrin, modutils was going to be installed (marked with
> an N). So I masked it. But before I did that, I poked around in the
> hardened profiles and noticed that in the virtuals files in the hardened
> profiles directory tree, there were lines such as "sys-apps/modutils
> sys-apps/modutils", ie, modutils was a virtual for modutils?!

It might have changed already, but I only see the line
"virtual/modutils sys-apps/modutils" under x86, and
"virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools" under 2.6, which is correct.

> I thought this was weird,. so I changed the latter modutils to
> module-init-tools and reran emerge -vpuD world. The modutils install went
> away. I'm not sure what's up with this but hopefully one of you Gentoo folks
> will know if this is supposed to be happening or not.

The easiest way to find the cause is to use --tree as an option to emerge and
then check the *DEPEND lines from the parent ebuild.

It would help to know whether you are running the 2.0.51 series of portage or
not as a lot has changed with regard to the implementation of virtuals.

> Incidentally, I don't even use any kernel modules and my kernel is compiled
> without loadable module support. So this whole exercise for me has been
> rather academic.

Good to hear that you are still choosing to battle with it then. :)

Regards,
Jason Stubbs

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Jason Stubbs:

>On Thursday 23 September 2004 06:57, Edward Epstein wrote:
>> Thus spake Daniel Drake:
>> >Hi,

>> >modutils provides tools such as modprobe, depmod, lsmod, ..., for 2.4
>> > kernels. module-init-tools provides similar tools (with the same names)
>> > for 2.6 kernels. module-init-tools also provides binaries such as
>> > modprobe.old, depmod.old, ..., which are for 2.4 (taken from modutils I
>> > believe).
>> >
>> >I'm assuming that you went from 2.4 to 2.6 at some point. When you used
>> > 2.4, you would have had modutils installed. When you went to 2.6, you
>> > would have merged module-init-tools (probably as a dependency).
>> > module-init-tools would have overwritten the 2.4 modutils with its own
>> > binaries. You then boot into 2.6, your modules will load, all is happy.
>> > This worked for a while.
>> >
>> >However, you still have modutils installed. A new modutils enters
>> > portage. A gazillion users (who are running 2.6) merge it, not knowing
>> > the difference between modutils and module-init-tools. modutils
>> > overwrites the 2.6 module-init-tools binaries. You reboot, and you can't
>> > load modules.
>> >
>> >To try and combat this, we have made modutils block module-init-tools. I
>> > don't regard this as a perfect solution, its still too confusing and not
>> > documented.
>> >
>> >I've just come up with an idea which might clear things up, I'll have a
>> > go at hacking it into place.
>> >
>> >Daniel
>>
>> Then someone needs to be aware that there was a recent change made
>> somewhere for hardened users that is causing modutils to be installed for
>> no reason. I just noticed this last night. My /etc/make.profile is
>> symlinked
>> to /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/x86/2.6, I do not have modutils
>> installed anywhere. It is not in my world file. In my virtuals file I have
>> sys-apps/modutils virtualised by module-init-tools. So as far as I can
>> tell, there would be no reason modutils needs to be installed. I have
>> never run the 2.4 kernel at all on this system.
>
>If you are still running portage-2.0.50-rx, you should have a line that goes
>something like "virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools" -
>virtual/modutils rather than sys-apps/modutils.

Arrgh, yes, I'm sorry, I made an error in my description. virtual/modutils is
_exactly_ what I do have in my virtuals file. I'm very sorry for this. It is
not good reporting. I did it from memory.

>> But last night I emerge sync'ed, and did an emerge -vpuD world and to my
>> great surprise and chagrin, modutils was going to be installed (marked
>> with an N). So I masked it. But before I did that, I poked around in the
>> hardened profiles and noticed that in the virtuals files in the hardened
>> profiles directory tree, there were lines such as "sys-apps/modutils
>> sys-apps/modutils", ie, modutils was a virtual for modutils?!
>
>It might have changed already, but I only see the line
>"virtual/modutils sys-apps/modutils" under x86, and
>"virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools" under 2.6, which is correct.

I will re-sync and check to see if it's changed.

>> I thought this was weird,. so I changed the latter modutils to
>> module-init-tools and reran emerge -vpuD world. The modutils install went
>> away. I'm not sure what's up with this but hopefully one of you Gentoo
>> folks will know if this is supposed to be happening or not.
>
>The easiest way to find the cause is to use --tree as an option to emerge
> and then check the *DEPEND lines from the parent ebuild.

I did. There is no dependency on modutils. It just wants to be there.

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Jason Stubbs:

[snip snip snip]

>> Incidentally, I don't even use any kernel modules and my kernel is
>> compiled without loadable module support. So this whole exercise for me
>> has been rather academic.
>
>Good to hear that you are still choosing to battle with it then. :)

Well honestly, I'm surprised at myself. I more often than not choose the
selfish route and don't report things I discover. And I rarely ever help
answer questions from other users either, even though I think I could do so.
I'm always complaining to myself that I shoudl be more involved, but then I
never take the initiative anyway. It's kind of stupid. But, anyway. What was
the point of this email again? ;)

>Regards,
>Jason Stubbs

Cheers,
Ed

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 23 September 2004 08:49, Edward Epstein wrote:
> Thus spake Jason Stubbs:
> >On Thursday 23 September 2004 06:57, Edward Epstein wrote:
> >> Thus spake Daniel Drake:

> >> Then someone needs to be aware that there was a recent change made
> >> somewhere for hardened users that is causing modutils to be installed
> >> for no reason. I just noticed this last night. My /etc/make.profile is
> >> symlinked
> >> to /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/x86/2.6, I do not have modutils
> >> installed anywhere. It is not in my world file. In my virtuals file I
> >> have sys-apps/modutils virtualised by module-init-tools. So as far as I
> >> can tell, there would be no reason modutils needs to be installed. I
> >> have never run the 2.4 kernel at all on this system.
> >
> >If you are still running portage-2.0.50-rx, you should have a line that
> > goes something like "virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools" -
> >virtual/modutils rather than sys-apps/modutils.
>
> Arrgh, yes, I'm sorry, I made an error in my description. virtual/modutils
> is _exactly_ what I do have in my virtuals file. I'm very sorry for this.
> It is not good reporting. I did it from memory.
>
> >> But last night I emerge sync'ed, and did an emerge -vpuD world and to my
> >> great surprise and chagrin, modutils was going to be installed (marked
> >> with an N). So I masked it. But before I did that, I poked around in the
> >> hardened profiles and noticed that in the virtuals files in the hardened
> >> profiles directory tree, there were lines such as "sys-apps/modutils
> >> sys-apps/modutils", ie, modutils was a virtual for modutils?!
> >
> >It might have changed already, but I only see the line
> >"virtual/modutils sys-apps/modutils" under x86, and
> >"virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools" under 2.6, which is correct.
>
> I will re-sync and check to see if it's changed.
>
> >> I thought this was weird,. so I changed the latter modutils to
> >> module-init-tools and reran emerge -vpuD world. The modutils install
> >> went away. I'm not sure what's up with this but hopefully one of you
> >> Gentoo folks will know if this is supposed to be happening or not.
> >
> >The easiest way to find the cause is to use --tree as an option to emerge
> > and then check the *DEPEND lines from the parent ebuild.
>
> I did. There is no dependency on modutils. It just wants to be there.

If that's the case, it's either listed as so in /var/cache/edb/virtuals or
it's part of system. I checked system for the hardened x86 2.6 profile and
only found virtual/modutils which would imply that /var/cache/edb/virtuals
contains "virtual/modutils sys-apps/modutils".

Can you give the output of:
# grep modutils /var/cache/edb/virtuals
and
# python -c 'import portage; print \
portage.settings.virtuals["virtual/modutils"]'

Regards,
Jason Stubbs

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Jason Stubbs:

>On Thursday 23 September 2004 08:49, Edward Epstein wrote:
>> Thus spake Jason Stubbs:

>> >If you are still running portage-2.0.50-rx, you should have a line that
>> > goes something like "virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools" -
>> >virtual/modutils rather than sys-apps/modutils.
>>
>> Arrgh, yes, I'm sorry, I made an error in my description. virtual/modutils
>> is _exactly_ what I do have in my virtuals file. I'm very sorry for this.
>> It is not good reporting. I did it from memory.

>> >It might have changed already, but I only see the line
>> >"virtual/modutils sys-apps/modutils" under x86, and
>> >"virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools" under 2.6, which is
>> > correct.
>>
>> I will re-sync and check to see if it's changed.

>> >The easiest way to find the cause is to use --tree as an option to emerge
>> > and then check the *DEPEND lines from the parent ebuild.
>>
>> I did. There is no dependency on modutils. It just wants to be there.
>
>If that's the case, it's either listed as so in /var/cache/edb/virtuals or
>it's part of system. I checked system for the hardened x86 2.6 profile and
>only found virtual/modutils which would imply that /var/cache/edb/virtuals
>contains "virtual/modutils sys-apps/modutils".
>
>Can you give the output of:
># grep modutils /var/cache/edb/virtuals
>and
># python -c 'import portage; print \
> portage.settings.virtuals["virtual/modutils"]'

edward@interface edward $ grep modutils /var/cache/edb/virtuals
virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools
edward@interface edward $ python -c 'import portage; print \
portage.settings.virtuals["virtual/modutils"]'
['sys-apps/modutils', 'sys-apps/module-init-tools']

Weird, eh?

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 23 September 2004 09:49, Edward Epstein wrote:
> Thus spake Jason Stubbs:
> >On Thursday 23 September 2004 08:49, Edward Epstein wrote:
> >> Thus spake Jason Stubbs:

> >> Arrgh, yes, I'm sorry, I made an error in my description.
> >> virtual/modutils is _exactly_ what I do have in my virtuals file. I'm
> >> very sorry for this. It is not good reporting. I did it from memory.

> >> I will re-sync and check to see if it's changed.

> >> I did. There is no dependency on modutils. It just wants to be there.
> >
> >If that's the case, it's either listed as so in /var/cache/edb/virtuals or
> >it's part of system. I checked system for the hardened x86 2.6 profile and
> >only found virtual/modutils which would imply that /var/cache/edb/virtuals
> >contains "virtual/modutils sys-apps/modutils".
> >
> >Can you give the output of:
> ># grep modutils /var/cache/edb/virtuals
> >and
> ># python -c 'import portage; print \
> > portage.settings.virtuals["virtual/modutils"]'
>
> edward@interface edward $ grep modutils /var/cache/edb/virtuals
> virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools
> edward@interface edward $ python -c 'import portage; print \
> portage.settings.virtuals["virtual/modutils"]'
> ['sys-apps/modutils', 'sys-apps/module-init-tools']
>
> Weird, eh?

I just realized you're using a cascading profile with portage-2.0.50. I
suggest you don't because there's more breakage with that combination than
you've had the bad luck to experience yet. Apparently, the flat profile has
been deprecated so pretty much all you can do is upgrade to 2.0.51_rc1. If
you are worried about it being not stable just yet, the only known bug that
isn't in 2.0.50 is:

63443 portage can not obtain a lock when distfiles is on nfs

Regards,
Jason Stubbs

Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Jason Stubbs:

>On Thursday 23 September 2004 09:49, Edward Epstein wrote:
>> Thus spake Jason Stubbs:

>> >If that's the case, it's either listed as so in /var/cache/edb/virtuals
>> > or it's part of system. I checked system for the hardened x86 2.6
>> > profile and only found virtual/modutils which would imply that
>> > /var/cache/edb/virtuals contains "virtual/modutils sys-apps/modutils".
>> >
>> >Can you give the output of:
>> ># grep modutils /var/cache/edb/virtuals
>> >and
>> ># python -c 'import portage; print \
>> > portage.settings.virtuals["virtual/modutils"]'
>>
>> edward@interface edward $ grep modutils /var/cache/edb/virtuals
>> virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools
>> edward@interface edward $ python -c 'import portage; print \
>> portage.settings.virtuals["virtual/modutils"]'
>> ['sys-apps/modutils', 'sys-apps/module-init-tools']
>>
>> Weird, eh?
>
>I just realized you're using a cascading profile with portage-2.0.50.

Might you be able to tell me what a cascading profile is? I'm curious to know
for future reference.

>I suggest you don't because there's more breakage with that combination than
>you've had the bad luck to experience yet. Apparently, the flat profile has

Is a flat profile the same thing as a cascading one?

Re: Re: Why modutils now? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:53:43 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:10:10 +0200, Sven Köhler <skoehler@upb.de> wrote:
> > > It is definitely not in my world file.
> >
> > OK, ignore my last post. modutils was not in my world file, but in the
> > virtuals-file in /var/cache/edb. Is modutils in there perhaps?
>
> Very interesting, I'd never looked in the virtuals file before. I do have this:
>
> virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools

Because you are new and possibly didn't run a 2.4 kernel? Not sure.
Mine's a bit different:

virtual/modutils sys-apps/module-init-tools sys-apps/modutils

- Mark