fairly annoying.

Anyone else experience anything similar to this?

--
-Jokr 2 Thief
Your speedbump on the information super highway.
----
"It dosen't matter how many times you type them... 'u, ur, r ne1 b and
y' are *NOT* real words." - Me

Re: NForce 2 Network and Booting [ In reply to ]
> I'm running an NVidia NForce 2 chipset and using the forcedeth driver
> for the networking from the 2.6.8-gentoo-r4 kernel. When I boot the
> system, it gets through everything just fine until it gets to the
> default runlevel... At which point, it makes no mention of bringing up
> interface eth0, (though it proudly proclaims it's finished bringing up
> lo) then goes on to fail mounting the Samba file system, and failing
> to set the system clock via NTP... But once the system is up, and I've
> logged in (Be it console or X) I have no problem doing either one of
> these things manually, and the interface works normally... Which is
> fairly annoying.
>
> Anyone else experience anything similar to this?

are you using a static ip or is your system requesting an ip via dhcp on
bootup?

some of the (old redhat) systems i have at work which use dhcp don't wait
to get the ip before continuing, so they fail all the network dependent
parts of the startup (mostly just ntp). by the time i've logged on, they
usually have the ip, so things work right then.

--
trey

Re: NForce 2 Network and Booting [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:56:22 -0400, Jokr2 Thief <jokr2thief@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I boot the
> system, it gets through everything just fine until it gets to the
> default runlevel... At which point, it makes no mention of bringing up
> interface eth0, (though it proudly proclaims it's finished bringing up
> lo) then goes on to fail mounting the Samba file system, and failing
> to set the system clock via NTP...

Have you remembered to add the net.eth0 init script to the default runlevel?
To do so, do this:
rc-update add net.eth0 default

--
Calvin Walton

Re: NForce 2 Network and Booting [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:54:37 -0400, Calvin Walton
<calvin.walton@gmail.com> wrote:

> rc-update add net.eth0 default

Of course I did that. I think I would notice if I started my machine
and none of the networking worked...

Re: NForce 2 Network and Booting [ In reply to ]
Jokr2 Thief wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:54:37 -0400, Calvin Walton
><calvin.walton@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>rc-update add net.eth0 default
>>

>Of course I did that. I think I would notice if I started my machine
>and none of the networking worked...

A shot in the dark here: hotplug was recently updated (at least on
~x86), and had the following note: " /etc/init.d/hotplug doesn't do
anything anymore. Use the coldplug package for loading modules at boot
time based on the devices in your system".

Sure enough, on the next boot, my ethernet interface didn't start and
the ethernet modules (among others) weren't loaded.

So, I emerged coldplug and did an rc-update adding it to the boot runlevel.

Now, all works again.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

Re: NForce 2 Network and Booting [ In reply to ]
> A shot in the dark here: hotplug was recently updated (at least on
> ~x86), and had the following note: " /etc/init.d/hotplug doesn't do
> anything anymore. Use the coldplug package for loading modules at boot
> time based on the devices in your system".
>
> Sure enough, on the next boot, my ethernet interface didn't start and
> the ethernet modules (among others) weren't loaded.
>
> So, I emerged coldplug and did an rc-update adding it to the boot runlevel.
>
> Now, all works again.
>
> Hope that helps,

Unfortunately, no. I became painfully aware of the updates to hotplug
when I emerged the newer version and found that the only thing that
was loading on boot was the NVidia driver. This has been a problem
some time in the making... I've been working on figuring this one out
since the 2.6.7 kernel.... I finally admitted defeat.

Re: NForce 2 Network and Booting [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:39:42 -0400 (EDT), Trey Gruel
<drathos-gentoo@nightmoose.net> wrote:
> > > i use static for the two computers that are always on the network. i
> > > started with just the gentoo box so i could forward ssh, ftp, and smtp to
> > > it properly. it's really not that hard to change from dhcp to static ips
> > > as long as you know what the settings should be.

Well, This all worked as far as fixing NTP, but it *STILL* refuses to
mount the Samba filesystems on boot. I'm beginning to think it's got a
lot less to do with the network drivers and a lot more to do with
Samba, Or just the way I'm trying to mount it... I'm using /etc/fstab
to mout it at boot with this line:

//meltdown/share /mnt/meltdown smbfs
auto,user=guest,passwd=guest,fmask=777,dmask=777 0 0

Re: NForce 2 Network and Booting [ In reply to ]
Jokr2 Thief wrote:

> Well, This all worked as far as fixing NTP, but it *STILL* refuses to
> mount the Samba filesystems on boot. I'm beginning to think it's got a
> lot less to do with the network drivers and a lot more to do with
> Samba, Or just the way I'm trying to mount it... I'm using /etc/fstab
> to mout it at boot with this line:
>
> //meltdown/share /mnt/meltdown smbfs
> auto,user=guest,passwd=guest,fmask=777,dmask=777 0 0

Suppose the Samba service isn't available at the time /etc/fstab is
read? This occurs very early in the boot process, but the Samba daemons
are not yet started, nor is the network up.

Maybe you'd do better to either 1) mount the shares automatically at
login rather than during boot (using LinNeighborhood, for example, or by
adding the mount command to /etc/conf.d/local.start, or by running a
short script at login that mounts the share), 2) move the Samba startup
to the boot runlevel rather than default, 3) move the net.eth0 startup
to the boot runlevel rather than default. Basically, reconfigure the
startup order so that all the needed services are running at the time
you attempt to mount the share.

Just a thought; hope it helps.

Holly