hello everyone!

i want to know what kernel patch set is suitable for gaming?
thanks!

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 19:55 +0200, Hoàng Tuân Nguyễn Đặng wrote:
> hello everyone!
>
> i want to know what kernel patch set is suitable for gaming?
> thanks!

I'm not sure of a certain patchset, but what I can tell you is not to
use gaming-sources. They may not even be around anymore.

And also, you do not want to use a preemptive kernel with gaming.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
might be interesting to try

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv ck-sources

Then again, who knows? ;-)

- Mark

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv ck-sources
> Then again, who knows? ;-)

it's a great kernel, though I don't use 2.4 sources, I only use his 2.6
patchset.

I wouldn't do the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, but rather add ~x86 to your
/etc/portage/package.keywords

why? cause the next time you do an emerge world -u, you'll snag a 2.4
kernel.

also, I'd update your linux-headers to linux26-headers if you're going 2.6.

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:05:22 -0400, Billy <billy@gonoph.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv ck-sources
> > Then again, who knows? ;-)
>
> it's a great kernel, though I don't use 2.4 sources, I only use his 2.6
> patchset.

~x86 gets you 2.6..1-ck8

> I wouldn't do the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, but rather add ~x86 to your
> /etc/portage/package.keywords

I agree to actually build and maintain it. This was just a suggestion
for him to see what he was getting.

> why? cause the next time you do an emerge world -u, you'll snag a 2.4
> kernel.

yep

> also, I'd update your linux-headers to linux26-headers if you're going 2.6.

Is that the user community concensus decision? I'm using
sys-kernel/linux-headers. I have sort of decided to wait on that
change until portage marks it as stable. If you make this change, then
what else do you have to do? Recompile the whole box or somethign
drastic?

thanks,
Mark

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:

>>also, I'd update your linux-headers to linux26-headers if you're going 2.6.
> change until portage marks it as stable. If you make this change, then
> what else do you have to do? Recompile the whole box or somethign
> drastic?

just re-emerge glibc, and it'll pick up the new headers. If you're using
a 2.6 kernel, why not use a glibc that using it, too?

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:16:54 -0700, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> > also, I'd update your linux-headers to linux26-headers if you're going 2.6.
> >

> Is that the user community concensus decision? I'm using
> sys-kernel/linux-headers. I have sort of decided to wait on that
> change until portage marks it as stable. If you make this change, then
> what else do you have to do? Recompile the whole box or somethign
> drastic?

In theory, you /should/ only need to recompile glibc, but I had
weirdness until I recompiled gcc, i.e., stuff like "c++ compiler
cannot build executables".
--
ciao,
cj

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:05:22 -0400, Billy <billy@gonoph.net> wrote:
>

>>Mark Knecht wrote:
>>

>>>ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv ck-sources
>>>Then again, who knows? ;-)
>>>

>>it's a great kernel, though I don't use 2.4 sources, I only use his 2.6
>>patchset.
>>

>~x86 gets you 2.6..1-ck8
>

>>I wouldn't do the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, but rather add ~x86 to your
>>/etc/portage/package.keywords
>>

>I agree to actually build and maintain it. This was just a suggestion
>for him to see what he was getting.
>

>>why? cause the next time you do an emerge world -u, you'll snag a 2.4
>>kernel.
>>

>yep
>

>>also, I'd update your linux-headers to linux26-headers if you're going 2.6.
>>

>Is that the user community concensus decision? I'm using
>sys-kernel/linux-headers. I have sort of decided to wait on that
>change until portage marks it as stable. If you make this change, then
>what else do you have to do? Recompile the whole box or somethign
>drastic?
>
>thanks,
>Mark
>
>--

you should rebuild glibc

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
> > Is that the user community concensus decision? I'm using
> > sys-kernel/linux-headers. I have sort of decided to wait on that
> > change until portage marks it as stable. If you make this change, then
> > what else do you have to do? Recompile the whole box or somethign
> > drastic?
>
> In theory, you /should/ only need to recompile glibc, but I had
> weirdness until I recompiled gcc, i.e., stuff like "c++ compiler
> cannot build executables".
> --
> ciao,
> cj

So emerge glibc and then emerge gcc?

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
hello, thanks for all reply!

> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv ck-sources
> > > Then again, who knows? ;-)
> >
> > it's a great kernel, though I don't use 2.4 sources, I only use his 2.6
> > patchset.
>
> ~x86 gets you 2.6..1-ck8
>

> > I wouldn't do the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, but rather add ~x86 to your
> > /etc/portage/package.keywords
>
> I agree to actually build and maintain it. This was just a suggestion
> for him to see what he was getting.

actually, i've been using -ck kernel for a long time; now i'm using
2.6.8.1-ck6 with a patch i915 video card for my Intel 855G card, but
i've a ploblem with mtrr overlap mem, which i can't fix although i've
apply some tips from the forum :-( (can someone tell me the link for
the detail info of mtrr)

thanks for all!

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
I believe there was a thread on headers recently. Basically, IIRC, it was
to stay with the current headers until Gentoo makes the change and the 2.6
headers become default.

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:25:25 -0400 (EDT), Brett I. Holcomb
<brettholcomb@charter.net> wrote:
> I believe there was a thread on headers recently. Basically, IIRC, it was
> to stay with the current headers until Gentoo makes the change and the 2.6
> headers become default.

That's what I remember. Thanks Brett.

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 14:47 -0400, fire-eyes wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 19:55 +0200, Hoàng Tuân Nguyễn Đặng wrote:
> > hello everyone!
> >
> > i want to know what kernel patch set is suitable for gaming?
> > thanks!

> And also, you do not want to use a preemptive kernel with gaming.

What's wrong with using a preemptive kernel with gaming? I have a
preemptive kernel and have noticed no problems with gaming, but only
improvements in the performance of my system when compiling things...

john d.

p.s. please take your reply-to setting off. thanks

Re: kernel for gaming ? [ In reply to ]
you're welcome. I've got enough to worry about know. When Gentoo says
it's ready then I'll install it - after a day or so wait <G>.