I saw that the new method is via /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
Is working for all packages except sys-devel/gcc-3.4.1-r3.

How to emerge -uD world without new gcc ?

Re: new inject method , failed with gcc SOLVED [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:57:09 +0000, Spoiala Cristian
<scristian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to do a emerge uD world, without upgrading to new gcc (3.4.1).
> I saw that the new method is via /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
> Is working for all packages except sys-devel/gcc-3.4.1-r3.
>
> How to emerge -uD world without new gcc ?

Solved, gcc was not protected well.

Re: Re: new inject method , failed with gcc SOLVED [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 22 September 2004 20:37, Spoiala Cristian wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:57:09 +0000, Spoiala Cristian
> <scristian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to do a emerge uD world, without upgrading to new gcc (3.4.1).
> > I saw that the new method is via /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
> > Is working for all packages except sys-devel/gcc-3.4.1-r3.
> >
> > How to emerge -uD world without new gcc ?
>
> Solved, gcc was not protected well.

package.provided is not for if you don't want portage to upgrade a package.
package.provided is for when you don't want portage to install/manage a
package *at all*. For example, some users prefer to download a kernel from
kernel.org rather than using vanilla-sources or development-sources. Why? I
don't know, but it is their prerogative and this allows them to do that.

If you want to prevent portage from upgrading a package to a certain version,
you can add it to package.mask. For what you wanted above, you would add
"=sys-devel/gcc-3.4.1-r3". If you want to prevent portage from upgrading a
package whatsoever, you would add something like ">=sys-devel/gcc-3.4.1-r3".

To reiterate, any prior use of --inject and/or any future use of
package.provided should only ever be done when you want portage to not care
about any files that a package deals with, for the package to be excluded
from all dependency calculation and for portage to assume that the package's
maintanence is 100% completely and absolutely managed outside of portage's
domain.

Regards,
Jason Stubbs

Re: Re: new inject method , failed with gcc SOLVED [ In reply to ]
> To reiterate, any prior use of --inject and/or any future use of
> package.provided should only ever be done when you want portage to not care
> about any files that a package deals with, for the package to be excluded
> from all dependency calculation and for portage to assume that the
> package's maintanence is 100% completely and absolutely managed outside of
> portage's domain.

Along these same lines - is there a way to see a list of all packages that
have been "--inject"ed, so that I can add them to package.provided instead?
I know I've done a few (KDE, nvidia drivers, etc) - but I don't remember
exactly which ones I have done. I'd like to just get a list of all of them.

-Nathan
Re: Re: new inject method , failed with gcc SOLVED [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 22 September 2004 21:54, Nathan Toone wrote:
> > To reiterate, any prior use of --inject and/or any future use of
> > package.provided should only ever be done when you want portage to not
> > care about any files that a package deals with, for the package to be
> > excluded from all dependency calculation and for portage to assume that
> > the package's maintanence is 100% completely and absolutely managed
> > outside of portage's domain.
>
> Along these same lines - is there a way to see a list of all packages that
> have been "--inject"ed, so that I can add them to package.provided instead?
> I know I've done a few (KDE, nvidia drivers, etc) - but I don't remember
> exactly which ones I have done. I'd like to just get a list of all of
> them.

for i in /var/db/pkg/*/*; do [ -f $i/CONTENTS ] || echo $i; done

Regards,
Jason Stubbs