I'am using Gentoo with a 2.6.8-gentoo-r1 kernel and vmware 4.5.2 from the
portage tree. Everything works fine except that the network devices vmnet0 -
vmnet7 are only active directly after using "vmware-config.pl". After a
restart they are no longer active.
I've also loaded the modules "vmmon" and "vmnet".
How can I setup the network devices automatically every time I boot?

Regards

Marc

Re: vmware and vmnet devices [ In reply to ]
you have to init those devices each time that you restart... you have
an script to do it in /etc/init.d/vmware

to start those devices you do: /etc/init.d/vmware start
and to kill them: /etc/init.d/vmware stop

if you want this to be do automatically each time you restart your computer:

rc-update add vmware default

all those commands as root. I hope this helps you

David GP

Re: vmware and vmnet devices [ In reply to ]
marcschlienger@t-online.de wrote:
> vmnet0
> - vmnet7 are only active directly after using "vmware-config.pl". After a
> restart they are no longer active.

Add:

for i in {0..8}; do \
mknod /dev/vmnet${i} c 119 $i; \
chown 600 /dev/vmnet${i}; done

to /etc/conf.d/local.start

NOTE: "{0..8}" will only work with >=bash-3.00. Replace with "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8" if you're running <bash-3.00

Regards,
Norberto

Re: vmware and vmnet devices [ In reply to ]
Norberto Bensa wrote:
> chown 600 /dev/vmnet${i}; done
^^^^^

s/chown/chmod/