Mailing List Archive

Xbox Modding WAS [gentoo-user] Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation
Quoting Alexey Starinsky <ssstttaaaa@yandex.ru>:

> Looked here
> http://www.xbox-scene.com/diagrams.php
> Wow, but what modchip solution should I use if I want to do it by
> myself?

Higher generations are newer chips basically. I would suggest going with a
soldered chip personally, of you can solder, as the solderless solutions have
been known to be unreliable.

I currently have an Alladin Advance, which has been working perfectly for around
6 months. Before that, I had an Xecuter-2.3b, which was THE modchip when it came
out. Last thing I heard, Team Xecuter were working on an Xecuter-3, maybe this
is now available. There are many chips available, and they all pretty much do
the same job, i.e. let you run unsigned code.

The forums on Xbox-Scene would be a good place to get an idea of which chip is
best to use. I'm out of the loop currently, as my chip has been operational for
some time.

Happy Hacking :-)

Re: Xbox Modding WAS [gentoo-user] Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Hello, Mark.

20.09.2004, 15:51 you wrote:
>> Wow, but what modchip solution should I use if I want to do it by
>> myself?
m> Higher generations are newer
m> chips basically. I would suggest going with a
m> soldered chip personally, of you
m> can solder, as the solderless solutions have
m> been known to be unreliable.
Ok, thanks!

m> I currently have an Alladin
m> Advance, which has been working perfectly for around
m> 6 months. Before that, I had an
m> Xecuter-2.3b, which was THE modchip when it came
m> out. Last thing I heard, Team
m> Xecuter were working on an Xecuter-3, maybe this
m> is now available. There are many
m> chips available, and they all pretty much do
m> the same job, i.e. let you run unsigned code.

So, did I understand well that I have to buy the "chip" whatever?
Actually it is PCB with something like Flash Memory?

Is it possible to find circuitry and firmware?
(I am able to make OrCAD schematics, and to route PCB with no problem)

Even this work could be GPL-ed, because it is not a problem for me and
would take less than working day to complete.

m> The forums on Xbox-Scene would be
m> a good place to get an idea of which chip is
m> best to use. I'm out of the loop
m> currently, as my chip has been operational for
m> some time.
m> Happy Hacking :-)
I'm already reading the forums, but see more questions than answers.
That is why I try to ask someone who can recommend me something that
"just works" and works enougth well to start Linux on Xbox.

Whatever, thank you very much for reply!

--
WBR,
Alex Stark

Re: Re: Xbox Modding WAS [gentoo-user] Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Quoting Alexey Starinsky <ssstttaaaa@yandex.ru>:
> So, did I understand well that I have to buy the "chip" whatever?
> Actually it is PCB with something like Flash Memory?

I think you're right there mate.

> Is it possible to find circuitry and firmware?
> (I am able to make OrCAD schematics, and to route PCB with no problem)

The firmware, or BIOS is made available in a particular place. Mail me off-list
for this. As far as making the chip from scratch, I know it's been done, and
there are some tutorials somewhere on the web which tell you how to make one,
no links I'm afraid, but there is stuff out there. Hit google with a large
sledgehammer, and take no prisoners!

> I'm already reading the forums, but see more questions than answers.
> That is why I try to ask someone who can recommend me something that
> "just works" and works enougth well to start Linux on Xbox.

I would suggest using the following chip as Team Xecuter are IMO the best.

http://www.kanection.co.uk/product.php/261/77//f677bc8fdf7c7686ff02006e5b87bcfa

You can actually also flash the onboard TSOP, meaning you don't even need a
mod-chip, but this is an elaborate solution that requires you to buy an action
replay device and download a hack, however I have zero experience with this,
and obviously opted for the mod-chip solution. The tutorials on xbox-scene
should help if you want to go down this route