http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=gnome-base

Also, curious why I was not able to get 2.8 as an ~x86 version like I am
most other packages?

Re: Gnome 2.8 ebuild still not available. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:31:14 -0700, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> Any idea when I'll be able to get Gnome 2.8 which was released last
> Wednesday the 15th?

New versions of Gnome usually take less than two months before they're out
in Gentoo stable. Give the Devs some leeway, just in case HAL from Project
Utopia is a problem:)

You may already know about it, but if you really want your Gnome 2.8 right
*now* you can make a new user and install Gnome using GarGnome
http://cipherfunk.org/garnome/

Re: Gnome 2.8 ebuild still not available. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:31:14 -0700 "Daevid Vincent" <daevid@daevid.com>
wrote:
| Any idea when I'll be able to get Gnome 2.8 which was released last
| Wednesday the 15th?

Whenever it's reasonably stable and likely to build cleanly.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: Gnome 2.8 ebuild still not available. [ In reply to ]
I unmasked it and emerged it, HAL doesn't seem to pickup events, as
certain features aren't working. I'd say wait until it's stable, or at
least not hard masked, they'll probably have a few things worked out
by then.

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:01:08 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:31:14 -0700 "Daevid Vincent" <daevid@daevid.com>
> wrote:
> | Any idea when I'll be able to get Gnome 2.8 which was released last
> | Wednesday the 15th?
>
> Whenever it's reasonably stable and likely to build cleanly.
>
> --
> Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
> Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
> Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm

--
Abe Al-Saleh
And then came the Apocolypse. It actually wasn't that

Re: Gnome 2.8 ebuild still not available. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 22:18 -0600, Abraham Al-Saleh wrote:
> I'd say wait until it's stable, or at
> least not hard masked, they'll probably have a few things worked out
> by then.

Here's how it works:

Gnome (and GTK, Freedesktop.org underneath it, and a bunch of other
things) are running on time based release cycle, with a release every 6
months. The most recent was 15 September.

The gentoo Gnome developers **are a part of the Gnome project and many
are Gnome developers themselves**. This means that you *really* don't
need to tell them that gnome 2.x (x even) is out - they were a part of
getting it there, yo!

It generally takes about a month from that point to shake out all the
glitches in terms of getting all the ebuilds squared away so that the
new version of Gnome will integrate with the rest of your Gentoo system.
[if it doesn't then what's the point of installing it?]

Meanwhile, the Gnome people upstream are madly fixing bugs and in
particular updating translations. Typically there is a 2.x.1 release
about a month after the 6 month time based 2.x.0 release. And then,
about a month after that, is a final wrap up 2.x.2 release.

YOU WANT THE 2.x.2 VERSION. BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONE WITH ALL THE BUGS
WORKED OUT. If (and only if) you want to help bug test Gnome 2.x on
Gentoo would I recommend upgrading to it before Gnome 2.x.1 or 2.x.2 is
available from upstream. And remember - ebuilds for such a large number
of interdependent packages do take a little bit of time to get right.

In practice, this all means that you can expect Gnome 2.8.2 to be
stable on Gentoo at about 3 months out of phase with the upstream Gnome
release. As a data point, 3 or so months of 2.6.0 coming out is about
when we got 2.6.2 marked stable in Portage. 2.4.2 was similar.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that you can expect distributions to
release on a 6 month time based release schedule some number between 1
and 3 months later than the major upstream project release schedule.
Fedora, Gentoo, and Debian are already (completely coincidentally)
converging on a practice along these lines.

[.The Ubuntu team has just raised the bar a bit in terms of getting it
out the door quickly, but they too aren't having their gold plated 6
month time based release of the distro until a month or two after their
public x.0 launch (which was also 15 Sep). Before you whine about that,
remember that Canonical *pays* a lot of the Gnome developers to ensure
Gnome is ready to go on Ubuntu. Gentoo people aren't generally employed
to make Gnome work on Gentoo, so have patience]

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.7/ if you would like to see the (just
finished) upstream schedule for 2.8

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

OPERATIONAL DYNAMICS
Operations Consultants and Infrastructure Engineers

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/