hours the last time on this old heap.
--
Free image hosting at http://www.rickserver.com

Re: xorg 6.7 on an old laptop [ In reply to ]
Rick Hennigan wrote:

>Hi all. I just installed xorg 6.7 on my old Dell Latitude Cpi 266. I
>ran the Xorg -configure command to generate an automatic config
>because I'm not too good at X configs. When testing X with X -config
>/root/xorg.conf.new, I get the gray screen like normal and the cursor
>works fine, but no terminal shows up. When I ctrl-alt backspace outta
>there I see this warning:
>
>(WW) NEOMAGIC(0): Failed to set up write-combining range
>(0xe1000000,0xe2000000) Could not init font path element
>/usr/share/fonts/CID, removing list!
>
>Any ideas? Hopefully I wont have to remerge X, as it took me like 12
>hours the last time on this old heap.

I don't know about first part but I would remove /usr/share/fonts/CID
from config atleast under 6.8.0 if you are missing fonts that are in
your config it slows down

Re: xorg 6.7 on an old laptop [ In reply to ]
I know from when I was doing some chipset design that 'write
combining' was an AGP term having to do with how the chipset speeds up
writes from the processor to the screen. Maybe you can look at AGP
options in your kernel and make some changes there.

Good luck,
Mark