vmware-config.pl as vmware wasnt configured for my kernel

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
Ryan Coates wrote:
> I was quite impressed to find vmware ready and available for emerge,
> and its one of my primary apps, i have however never tried it on linux
> anyway after getting it working and running the vmware-config.pl i had
> a few problems, firstly it wouldnt start the virtual ethernet, and the
> virtual machine monitor
> not entirely sure why, im assuming something to do with my kernel? do
> i have to compile things like PCNet32 AMD network card and BusLogic
> SCSI controller into my kernel? these are the things vmware uses but
> they are purely virtual, not sure what else to try bar downing to a
> 2.4 kernel and giving it a try
>
> any help appreciated, sorry for the lack of info, it didnt return a
> very useful error message, just kept telling me to run the
> vmware-config.pl as vmware wasnt configured for my kernel

This is a raw guess, but AFAIK many emulators (as vmware is one) use the
kernel's TUN/TAP network emulation for their virtual ethernets. So you
should simply activate it in your kernel-config and you should be done.

Those "virtual hardware" you mentioned, is named after real existing
hardware. So the PCNet 32 AMD network card is emulated by vmware, while the
kernel option is for its hardware driver. You don't need to activate the
kernel option if you don't have such a card. The emulator wouldn't have any
benefit from it, even if you had this card (but then you would be stuck with
a non-working network card ;-)).

Hope, this helps.
Greetings,
Felix
Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
no joy so far mate, but thanks for your help, seems to give the exact
same problem but i have now compiled TUN/TAP into the kernel, so
perhaps this will avoid a future problem :)

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 13:09:31 +0200, Felix Tiede <lists@pc-tiede.de> wrote:

> Ryan Coates wrote:
> > I was quite impressed to find vmware ready and available for emerge,
> > and its one of my primary apps, i have however never tried it on linux
> > anyway after getting it working and running the vmware-config.pl i had
> > a few problems, firstly it wouldnt start the virtual ethernet, and the
> > virtual machine monitor
> > not entirely sure why, im assuming something to do with my kernel? do
> > i have to compile things like PCNet32 AMD network card and BusLogic
> > SCSI controller into my kernel? these are the things vmware uses but
> > they are purely virtual, not sure what else to try bar downing to a
> > 2.4 kernel and giving it a try
> >
> > any help appreciated, sorry for the lack of info, it didnt return a
> > very useful error message, just kept telling me to run the
> > vmware-config.pl as vmware wasnt configured for my kernel
> >

> This is a raw guess, but AFAIK many emulators (as vmware is one) use the
> kernel's TUN/TAP network emulation for their virtual ethernets. So you
> should simply activate it in your kernel-config and you should be done.
>
> Those "virtual hardware" you mentioned, is named after real existing
> hardware. So the PCNet 32 AMD network card is emulated by vmware, while the
> kernel option is for its hardware driver. You don't need to activate the
> kernel option if you don't have such a card. The emulator wouldn't have any
> benefit from it, even if you had this card (but then you would be stuck with
> a non-working network card ;-)).
>
> Hope, this helps.
> Greetings,
> Felix

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
VMWare doesn't use TUN. I emerged this later for open vpn.

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
What is it saying when you try to startup the services? If it says that
you need to go run the vmware-config.pl again, then you can try removing
a lock file in the '/etc/vmware' directory. Then just:

/etc/init.d/vmware start

and the network servers should start. If not, cut & paste some errors,
so we can diagnose it better.

--Kurt

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
Excuse me for asking. Isn't vmware something I have to buy?

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:
> Excuse me for asking. Isn't vmware something I have to buy?

You have to buy a license key.
But you can freely download vmware from their servers, so there's no point
in having portage doing that for you.

Greetings,
Felix
Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:17:34 +0200, Felix Tiede <lists@pc-tiede.de> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Excuse me for asking. Isn't vmware something I have to buy?
> >
> You have to buy a license key.
> But you can freely download vmware from their servers, so there's no point
> in having portage doing that for you.

Thanks Felix. I've not used vmware - was just curious.

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 20:17 +0200, Felix Tiede wrote:
> You have to buy a license key.
> But you can freely download vmware from their servers, so there's no point
> in having portage doing that for you.

Quite the opposite. The ebuild nicely installs vmware for you, takes
care of getting it setup so that you can add it's support programs' rc
script to an appropriate runlevel, and other tasks.

Even if you just want to "trial" it, it's far easier to have portage
download it than doing so manually.

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

OPERATIONAL DYNAMICS
Operations Consultants and Infrastructure Engineers

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
Ryan Coates wrote:
> I was quite impressed to find vmware ready and available for emerge,
> and its one of my primary apps, i have however never tried it on linux
> anyway after getting it working and running the vmware-config.pl i had
> a few problems, firstly it wouldnt start the virtual ethernet, and the
> virtual machine monitor
> not entirely sure why, im assuming something to do with my kernel? do
> i have to compile things like PCNet32 AMD network card and BusLogic
> SCSI controller into my kernel? these are the things vmware uses but
> they are purely virtual,

don't think you need to. These are the devices used by the _guest_ os,
not the host, so your guest would need them compiled.

not sure what else to try bar downing to a
> 2.4 kernel and giving it a try

I have it working well with 2.6

Make sure the service is started:
/etc/init.d/vmware start

and make sure its in your default runlevel so it starts automatically.

HTH,
Iain

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
ok heres the update everyone, sorry for the slow response, was
catching up on sleep, been at a LAN party all weekend

heres the error i get from /etc/init.d/vmware start

* VMware Workstation is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
* for the running kernel. To (re-)configure it, invoke the
* following command: /opt/vmware/bin/vmware-config.pl.
* VMware is not properly configured! See above. [ !! ]

and vmware-config.pl can never start the machine monitor and virtual
ethernet at the end of its script

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0930, Iain Buchanan
<iaindb@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> Ryan Coates wrote:
> > I was quite impressed to find vmware ready and available for emerge,
> > and its one of my primary apps, i have however never tried it on linux
> > anyway after getting it working and running the vmware-config.pl i had
> > a few problems, firstly it wouldnt start the virtual ethernet, and the
> > virtual machine monitor
> > not entirely sure why, im assuming something to do with my kernel? do
> > i have to compile things like PCNet32 AMD network card and BusLogic
> > SCSI controller into my kernel? these are the things vmware uses but
> > they are purely virtual,
>
> don't think you need to. These are the devices used by the _guest_ os,
> not the host, so your guest would need them compiled.
>
> not sure what else to try bar downing to a
> > 2.4 kernel and giving it a try
>
> I have it working well with 2.6
>
> Make sure the service is started:
> /etc/init.d/vmware start
>
> and make sure its in your default runlevel so it starts automatically.
>
> HTH,
> Iain

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 10:21 +0100, Ryan Coates wrote:
> * VMware is not properly configured! See above. [ !! ]

That might be a Gentoo bug. I seem to remember that I hit that and:

scratched my head for a moment,
said "yes, it's configured",
removed the file /etc/vmware/not_configured (or whatever) that was
causing the hold up,
and it worked fine.

<shrug> worth a try.

If that actually fixes it for you, file/comment a bug...

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd

The best Linux conference on the planet! You going to be there?
http://linux.conf.au/ Canberra, Australia 18-23 April 2005
Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
that trick worked a charm mate, very odd :)
I get a bit of fonts messed up in X when vmware is running, and a X
DGA error, anyone else get this or did you all compile X with DGA
support (not even sure what it is)
thanks for the help guys

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
here is the error i get, its looking for some XFree86 DGA extensions,
im using X.Org so perhaps this is the problem?

'XFree86 DGA extension not present. Either your X Server is built
without this extension, or it is not configured to use it.
XFree86 direct graphics (DGA exension) initilization failed'

this caused some wierd graphical glitches on my monitor, not present
on a screen shot i took, so it obviously is only being portrayed on
the monitor

any ideas helpful, i did get WinXP installed on VMWare though :)

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:00:46 +0100, Ryan Coates <ryan.coates@gmail.com> wrote:
> that trick worked a charm mate, very odd :)
> I get a bit of fonts messed up in X when vmware is running, and a X
> DGA error, anyone else get this or did you all compile X with DGA
> support (not even sure what it is)
> thanks for the help guys
>

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:01:13 +1000, Andrew Cowie
> <andrew@operationaldynamics.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 10:21 +0100, Ryan Coates wrote:
> > > * VMware is not properly configured! See above. [ !! ]
> >
> > That might be a Gentoo bug. I seem to remember that I hit that and:
> >
> > scratched my head for a moment,
> > said "yes, it's configured",
> > removed the file /etc/vmware/not_configured (or whatever) that was
> > causing the hold up,
> > and it worked fine.
> >
> > <shrug> worth a try.
> >
> > If that actually fixes it for you, file/comment a bug...
> >
> > AfC
> > Sydney
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Frederick Cowie
> > Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd
> >
> > The best Linux conference on the planet! You going to be there?
> > http://linux.conf.au/ Canberra, Australia 18-23 April 2005
> >

> --
> Regards,
>
> Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
> ryan.coates@gmail.com

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
i cant actually get into full screen mode
this error ensues

'DVGA is nmot supported since the host uses kernel framebuffer
Full screen VGA initilization failed.
Cannot switch to full screen mode.'

guess that would be because of my framebuffer usage :)

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]

Re: vmware on gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:08:14 +0100, Ryan Coates <ryan.coates@gmail.com> wrote:
> i cant actually get into full screen mode
> this error ensues
>
> 'DVGA is nmot supported since the host uses kernel framebuffer
> Full screen VGA initilization failed.
> Cannot switch to full screen mode.'

I can fix that for you lickety-split. I had the same problem and
fixed it with this from vmware.com:

-----
The ability to place virtual machines in full screen mode is a
function of the X server and video card driver you have installed on
the Linux host. To run a virtual machine in full screen mode at
optimal performance, the following conditions need to be present:

* XFree86 must be installed on the physical host machine.
* The XF86Config file or XF86Config-4 file must be configured to
start DGA with acceleration.
* The XFree86 driver for your video card, and your video card
hardware, must support DGA with acceleration.

If the X server on your host cannot run DGA with acceleration, when
you try to place a virtual machine into full screen mode, an error
message should appear on your host stating that full screen mode will
run slowly. If this message appears, it is best to run the virtual
machine in windowed mode, as trying to switch to full screen mode may
be slow or may not work at all.

Here are more notes on the standard behavior of XFree86 4.x and higher
on Linux hosts.

1. Make sure that DGA is not disabled in your XF86Config-4 file.
Comment out the following lines in the XF86Config-4 file:

SubSection "extmod"

Option "omit xfree86-dga" # don't initialise the DGA extension

EndSubSection

Add the following line to the XF86Config-4 file:

load "extmod"

Then restart your host X server.
2. Not all drivers support DGA in XFree86 4.x. If there is an error
about DGA not being enabled, and you have already checked this, then
the driver for your graphics card probably does not support DGA.

3. Not all drivers in XFree86 4.x are optimized for DGA with
acceleration, so the performance might be poor in comparison to
XFree86 3.3.x.

4. Unlike XFree86 3.3.x, full screen mode does not resize the
screen, so if the virtual machine has a lower resolution then the
host, it displays in the center of the screen, surrounded by a black
border.

5. If your virtual machine performs erratically or not at all when
you try to use full screen mode on your Linux host, please contact
your video card manufacturer or computer manufacturer for the most
updated XFree86 4.x video driver for your type of graphics card. Make
sure to install that driver according to the manufacturer's
guidelines.
-----

I use Xorg too and this works great.

- Grant