linux / #

What gives? Had a lightning strike about 1/2 a mile away, & a big explosion.
Modem went down & had to reset it, as well as the modem driver had to be
reloaded. This happened after that. Am I in big trouble?

--
..."Yogi" CH
Namasté Yoga Studio
"If music be the food of love, why can't rabbits sing?"

Re: How significant is this? [ In reply to ]
C Hamel wrote:
> I am suddenly getting this error upon booting, chrooting, emerging (though the
> log shows successful emerge):
> inux:/mnt/gentoo # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
> bash-2.05b# env-update

> * Caching service dependencies...
> /var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 11: -m: command not found
> /var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 12: -t: command not found
> /var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 28: *n*n*n*n: command not found
> bash-2.05b# source /etc/profile
> linux / #
>
> What gives? Had a lightning strike about 1/2 a mile away, & a big explosion.
> Modem went down & had to reset it, as well as the modem driver had to be
> reloaded. This happened after that. Am I in big trouble?

try re-emerging baselayout
hth

--

Adi

Re: How significant is this? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 19 September 2004 04:14, Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:
> C Hamel wrote:
> > I am suddenly getting this error upon booting, chrooting, emerging
> > (though the log shows successful emerge):
> > inux:/mnt/gentoo # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
> > bash-2.05b# env-update

> > * Caching service dependencies...
> > /var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 11: -m: command not found
> > /var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 12: -t: command not found
> > /var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 28: *n*n*n*n: command not found
> > bash-2.05b# source /etc/profile
> > linux / #
> >
> > What gives? Had a lightning strike about 1/2 a mile away, & a big
> > explosion. Modem went down & had to reset it, as well as the modem driver
> > had to be reloaded. This happened after that. Am I in big trouble?
>
> try re-emerging baselayout
> hth
Thanks. I ended up getting out a backup of the system in a state not long
prior to the problem and that fixed it --so I could emerge kde overnight.
Still not done. <LOL> Guess I should've stayed on the CLI but I'm looking
for a SuSE replacement.

Re: How significant is this? [ In reply to ]
C Hamel wrote:
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 04:14, Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:
>
>>C Hamel wrote:
>>
>>>I am suddenly getting this error upon booting, chrooting, emerging
>>>(though the log shows successful emerge):
>>>inux:/mnt/gentoo # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
>>>bash-2.05b# env-update

>>> * Caching service dependencies...
>>>/var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 11: -m: command not found
>>>/var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 12: -t: command not found
>>>/var/lib/init.d/depcache: line 28: *n*n*n*n: command not found
>>>bash-2.05b# source /etc/profile
>>>linux / #
>>>
>>>What gives? Had a lightning strike about 1/2 a mile away, & a big
>>>explosion. Modem went down & had to reset it, as well as the modem driver
>>>had to be reloaded. This happened after that. Am I in big trouble?
>>
>>try re-emerging baselayout
>>hth
>
> Thanks. I ended up getting out a backup of the system in a state not long
> prior to the problem and that fixed it --so I could emerge kde overnight.
> Still not done. <LOL> Guess I should've stayed on the CLI but I'm looking
> for a SuSE replacement.

fvwm is a good window mananger IMO. Though the default themes are ugly
(this is being very polite) you will finmd some extremly usefull fvwm2rc
files out there. I've conviced 5 people to try gentoo with mine based on
[1]. And they were all using windows. Silly people!

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/ (something here)
--

Adi