..."Yogi" CH
Namasté Yoga Studio
"If music be the food of love, why can't rabbits sing?"

Re: Documentation [ In reply to ]
Hi!

There are many documentations on the web-site.

Look here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml

Cheers,
valirion

--

Text mails preferred!
No HTML-mail please!
Re: Documentation [ In reply to ]

Re: Documentation [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 18 September 2004 02:52 pm, C Hamel wrote:
> Since I am completely unfamiliar w/Gentoo --on a CLI basis, especially-- I
> am wondering what happened to the 'lsof' (list open files) command? I find
> it indespensible when something won't umount because it is 'busy'.
>
> Also, I am sure there is a complete tutorial as to how to manage the
> portage tree and deal w/upgrading pkgs but I am uncertain just where to
> look ...or under what heading. Any assistance greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

Do "emerge lsof"

As for documentation.... gentoo.org has it all. All you need do is.... READ.

Cheers.

Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
> Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!

how does that work?
Cheers
Antoine
--
G System, The Evolving GUniverse - http://www.g-system.at

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:29:00 +0200, Antoine <melser.anton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
>
> how does that work?

Microsoft loses money on the hardware on every Xbox, with the hope of
gaining market share and eventually a platform through which to bring
more potential Windows customers into the fold. Theoretically, if you
purchase an Xbox and install linux on it, Microsoft have spent
whatever it costs them to make the unit, with no gain for them on the
new-windows-user angle.

--
Chris Woods || chris.woods@gmail.com
chris@javagroup.org || ICQ 21740987

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Chris Woods wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:29:00 +0200, Antoine <melser.anton@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
>>>

>>how does that work?
>>

>Microsoft loses money on the hardware on every Xbox, with the hope of
>gaining market share and eventually a platform through which to bring
>more potential Windows customers into the fold. Theoretically, if you
>purchase an Xbox and install linux on it, Microsoft have spent
>whatever it costs them to make the unit, with no gain for them on the
>new-windows-user angle.

Aren't these xbox's less money now days?

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 19 September 2004 05:29, Antoine wrote:
> > Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
>
> how does that work?
> Cheers
> Antoine
In the case of my box, if I just blew M$ away (didn't accept the user
agreement) and installed Linux I could expect a check for the cost of the M$
OS which was less than $100, but still a good hunk of change. I didn't do
that because the hunt for a Linux system that wouldn't lock on boot was a
long one, but I may do that next time.

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
wrote:
| > Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses
| > $150.00!
|
| how does that work?

It doesn't, because Microsoft have already made the xbox you buy.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 19 September 2004 11:03 am, Ralph wrote:
> Chris Woods wrote:
> >>
> >>how does that work?
> >
> >Microsoft loses money on the hardware on every Xbox, with the hope of
> >gaining market share and eventually a platform through which to bring
> >more potential Windows customers into the fold. Theoretically, if you
> >purchase an Xbox and install linux on it, Microsoft have spent
> >whatever it costs them to make the unit, with no gain for them on the
> >new-windows-user angle.
>
> Aren't these xbox's less money now days?

I dug around my bookmarks, but it looks as though what I want is gone now. But
there were a few articles that went into depth on with the Microsoft Xbox
project. Basically, ms admitted that they made no money off the hadrware and
in fact lost as much as $150.00 for each game console sold. However, the
earnings made on the sales of games, either from in house projects or
external vendors was astronomical.

Yes, Xboxs are selling pretty cheap these days, in fact I've seen them priced
at $149.00 with a $20.00 rebate inside the box... Makes them an even better
linux driven internet device. Where can you find a similar piece of hardware
for less?

I push them mostly as samba, dns and/or mp3, etc servers. I haven't done it to
any extreme, but I would bet that they would make a great distcc cluster for
somebody.

Cheers.

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, September 19, 2004 8:49 am, Ciaran McCreesh said:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:29:00 +0200 Antoine <melser.anton@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> | > Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses
> | > $150.00!
> |
> | how does that work?
>
> It doesn't, because Microsoft have already made the xbox you buy.

But after you buy, they will make another to replace the inventory...

The point is that the device is a loss-leader with expected future
earnings. If you never buy any of the add-on cruft, then they lose money.

-Eric

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Jerry McBride wrote:

>On Sunday 19 September 2004 11:03 am, Ralph wrote:
>

>>Chris Woods wrote:

>>>Microsoft loses money on the hardware on every Xbox, with the hope of
>>>gaining market share and eventually a platform through which to bring
>>>more potential Windows customers into the fold. Theoretically, if you
>>>purchase an Xbox and install linux on it, Microsoft have spent
>>>whatever it costs them to make the unit, with no gain for them on the
>>>new-windows-user angle.
>>>

>>Aren't these xbox's less money now days?
>>
>>--
>>

>I dug around my bookmarks, but it looks as though what I want is gone now. But
>there were a few articles that went into depth on with the Microsoft Xbox
>project. Basically, ms admitted that they made no money off the hadrware and
>in fact lost as much as $150.00 for each game console sold. However, the
>earnings made on the sales of games, either from in house projects or
>external vendors was astronomical.
>
>Yes, Xboxs are selling pretty cheap these days, in fact I've seen them priced
>at $149.00 with a $20.00 rebate inside the box... Makes them an even better
>linux driven internet device. Where can you find a similar piece of hardware
>for less?
>
>I push them mostly as samba, dns and/or mp3, etc servers. I haven't done it to
>any extreme, but I would bet that they would make a great distcc cluster for
>somebody.
>
>Cheers.

I have 4 diskless client I put together for under $175 each using Matx
boards and have xp1800's which I think is a better deal than xbox for a
mere $25 more

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 19 September 2004 12:48 pm, Ralph wrote:

---snip---

> I have 4 diskless client I put together for under $175 each using Matx
> boards and have xp1800's which I think is a better deal than xbox for a
> mere $25 more

Matx? You mean mini/micro ATX? Well... there's a problem. If you don't have a
supply of cheap or free components to plug into the Matx boards.... you buy
the mother board, you buy the ram, you buy the powersupply, you buy the cpu,
you buy the case and.. Well, it just ain't all that cheap. Been there, done
that, bought the T-shirt.

However,

You make a stop at Walmart and for $149.00 (full retail) you get a new Xbox
console in a box with a controller, maybe a free game... ready to run. You
take the console, chip it, put linux on it, put your custom startup scripts
on it and it's ready to go. Then you take the controller, video cable, game
and sell them to the local kids. You can make back maybe $30 or $40 bucks
(more if you don't have a conscience) and your new Xbox internet appliance
only ends up costing you say.... $100.00 to $110.00. Nothing else needed.

You can also optionally upgrade the hard drive to a larger one and sell the
one removed for a few bucks too.

You take your new Xbox internet appliance to your customer, plug it in to the
power and ethernet and telnet into the appliance, set it up for whatever
purpose your selling... and bill the client for the hardware and your service
and hand them a contract for support and off you go.... It's a linux
solution, perfect for small offices, churches, homes, etc... Can't be beat in
terms of cost.

Maybe not the absolute performance platform out there, but plenty enough horse
power to do specific tasks for small to medium users. And best of all, "it's
a foot in the front door"... On occasion, I've even given them away free of
charge, knowing that it would give me future income in the way of support,
upgrades or expansion...

Cheers.

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Jerry McBride wrote:
> You make a stop at Walmart and for $149.00 (full retail) you get a new Xbox
> console in a box with a controller, maybe a free game... ready to run.

Can we stop the Microsoft & Walmart ads please?

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 19 September 2004 01:49 pm, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Jerry McBride wrote:
> > You make a stop at Walmart and for $149.00 (full retail) you get a new
> > Xbox console in a box with a controller, maybe a free game... ready to
> > run.
>
> Can we stop the Microsoft & Walmart ads please?

You not interested in buying a cheap linux solution?

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Has anyone tried xbox intergrated in a AP [WiFi//802.11x] and running
stuff like DNS apache and FTP? what's your impression if so? Is it
suffiecient?

--
-
Undergraduate Student of CEID

**Warning gmail may affect your mailing privacy**
If you like to mail me private please use:
korkakak *at* ceid *dot* upatras *dot* gr and my public key from
http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~korkakak/mykey

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Eric Paynter wrote:
> On Sun, September 19, 2004 8:49 am, Ciaran McCreesh said:

>>| how does that work?
>>
>>It doesn't, because Microsoft have already made the xbox you buy.
>

> But after you buy, they will make another to replace the inventory...
>
> The point is that the device is a loss-leader with expected future
> earnings. If you never buy any of the add-on cruft, then they lose money.
>
> -Eric

But don't I also lose money? I can buy a PII compaq system for under 80$
(TVA included so that goes at around 74$). It keeps a dhcp, www, traffic
shaping, dc server, squid and firewall for a network of 20 computers at
under 1% in normal circumstances (50% under heavy load ... cron job
reporting every minute).

--

Adi

Re: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
* On Mon Sep-20-2004 at 02:09:49 AM +0300, Adrian CAPDEFIER said:
> Eric Paynter wrote:
> >On Sun, September 19, 2004 8:49 am, Ciaran McCreesh said:

> >>It doesn't, because Microsoft have already made the xbox you buy.
> >
> >But after you buy, they will make another to replace the inventory...
> >
> >The point is that the device is a loss-leader with expected future
> >earnings. If you never buy any of the add-on cruft, then they lose money.
> >

> But don't I also lose money? I can buy a PII compaq system for under 80$
[...]

I think the point is that it is simply /a/ good deal, not the only good
deal.

--
Sami Samhuri
Re[2]: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Hello, Jerry.

May I ask you some question about Xbox?

19.09.2004, 20:22 you wrote:
---snip---
Jerry McBride> You make a stop at Walmart and for
Jerry McBride> $149.00 (full retail) you get a new Xbox
Jerry McBride> console in a box with a controller,
What is "controller"?

Jerry McBride> maybe a free game... ready to run. You
Jerry McBride> take the console, chip it,
How "to chip" it?

Jerry McBride> put linux on it,
Xbox-Gentoo?

Jerry McBride> put your custom startup scripts
Jerry McBride> on it and it's ready to go.
Jerry McBride> Then you
Jerry McBride> take the controller, video cable, game
Jerry McBride> and sell them to the local kids.
Can it work without controller?

Jerry McBride> You can also optionally upgrade the
Jerry McBride> hard drive to a larger one and sell the
Jerry McBride> one removed for a few bucks too.
How large is hard drive there?

P.S. They are not sold widely where I live, and my questions might
sound stupid, so you can just kick me to address where I could read all
what I asked about :)

But anyway, thank you in advance!

--
WBR,
Alex Stark

Re: Re[2]: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
> What is "controller"?
A kind of joystick, a hand held device for controlling the games.

> Jerry McBride> maybe a free game... ready to run. You
> Jerry McBride> take the console, chip it,
> How "to chip" it?
Take it to a chipper :-P ( a guy that mods Consoles)

> Jerry McBride> put linux on it,
> Xbox-Gentoo?
If you want

If not then choose a distro of your choice (I'm pretty sure Debian
works as well)

--
Zen is total BS. When you realize that fact, you have mastered Zen.

Re[4]: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Hello, Senectus.

20.09.2004, 11:46 you wrote:
>> What is "controller"?
Senectus .> A kind of joystick, a hand held device for controlling the games.
Thanks! :)

>> Jerry McBride> maybe a free game... ready to run. You
>> Jerry McBride> take the console, chip it,
>> How "to chip" it?
Senectus .> Take it to a chipper :-P ( a guy that mods Consoles)
Hm.. I do nto know any guys who can do it here.
But I am electronics engineer (6+ years), so could I posiiby do it by
myself?

>> Jerry McBride> put linux on it,
>> Xbox-Gentoo?
Senectus .> If you want
Senectus .> If not then choose a distro of your choice
Senectus .> (I'm pretty sure Debian
Senectus .> works as well)
Hm... thanks for recommendations!

--
WBR,
Alex Stark

Re: Re[4]: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
> >> Jerry McBride> maybe a free game... ready to run. You
> >> Jerry McBride> take the console, chip it,
> >> How "to chip" it?
> Senectus .> Take it to a chipper :-P ( a guy that mods Consoles)
> Hm.. I do nto know any guys who can do it here.
> But I am electronics engineer (6+ years), so could I posiiby do it by
> myself?

Not being a sparky I couldn't say how hard it is.. but I'd recommend
taking it to someone thats done it before...
I don't know where you are physically but I'm in Australia.. and if
you pickup a weekend newspaper the mod chip guys tend to advertise in
the new and second hand computers section...

--
Zen is total BS. When you realize that fact, you have mastered Zen.

Re[6]: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Hello, Senectus.

20.09.2004, 12:29 you wrote:
>> Senectus .> Take it to a chipper :-P ( a guy that mods Consoles)
>> Hm.. I do nto know any guys who can do it here.
>> But I am electronics engineer (6+ years), so could I posiiby do it by
>> myself?
Senectus .> Not being a sparky I couldn't say how hard it is.. but I'd recommend
Senectus .> taking it to someone thats done it before...
Senectus .> I don't know where you are physically but I'm in Australia.. and if
Senectus .> you pickup a weekend newspaper the mod chip
Senectus .> guys tend to advertise in
Senectus .> the new and second hand computers section...
Ukraine, if you know where it is :)
But there are no guys who advertise chipping.

--
WBR,
Alexey Starinsky

Re: Re[4]: Re: OT M$ loses? was [gentoo-user] Documentation [ In reply to ]
Quoting Alexey Starinsky <ssstttaaaa@yandex.ru>:

> Hm.. I do nto know any guys who can do it here.
> But I am electronics engineer (6+ years), so could I posiiby do it by
> myself?

get youself to http://www.xbox-scene.com as they have a very extensive and
exhaustive database of tutorials. They make it easy!