(I have read the manual and not found this mentioned anywhere)

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: GDM installation [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 14:57, Ryan Coates wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask

It is!

> , please slap me silly if it's not
> I recently built my first Gentoo box, and im trying to get GDM to work
> i did emerge gdm and it installed
> but when i do rc-update add gdm default it gives me an error as its
> looking for gdm in /etc/init.d but its in /usr/bin
>
> what am i supposed to do?

The display manager seems to just have one generic init script, as
opposed to /etc/init.d/gdm and /etc/init.d/kdm, etc...

Make sure you set DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm" in /etc/rc.conf, then use
/etc/init.d/xdm start to run gdm. Hence, rc-update add xdm default .

-- Arran

Re: GDM installation [ In reply to ]
ahh great, i had configured the config with 'gdm' but didnt realise i
just had to
rc-update add xdm default
as i had just removed that in the hope of replacing it with gdm

thanks very much

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:04:41 -0300, Arran Fraser <afraser@w3internet.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 14:57, Ryan Coates wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask
>
> It is!
>
> > , please slap me silly if it's not
> > I recently built my first Gentoo box, and im trying to get GDM to work
> > i did emerge gdm and it installed
> > but when i do rc-update add gdm default it gives me an error as its
> > looking for gdm in /etc/init.d but its in /usr/bin
> >
> > what am i supposed to do?
>
> The display manager seems to just have one generic init script, as
> opposed to /etc/init.d/gdm and /etc/init.d/kdm, etc...
>
> Make sure you set DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm" in /etc/rc.conf, then use
> /etc/init.d/xdm start to run gdm. Hence, rc-update add xdm default .
>
> -- Arran

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com