Mailing List Archive

File permission strangeness
Hi.

I work in a computer shop and we take in systems (running mostly the
best OSs in the world - Windows XP Home and Windows ME) which we connect
to our network in order to run windows update to get all the updates for
the bugs.

Anywho.. downloading the windows updates takes ages so we've set up a
Gentoo system running squid and apache to cache the updates on our local
system, thus speeding up future updates. - everything is working -- almost.

The problem arises when a windows system attempts to download an update
which isn't already in the cache. Squid starts off downloading the file
but it sets permissions on the file that apache can't access - so the
update fails and won't install. If I chmod all the updates to 777 it
will work and the updates download.

So the question is: how do I get squid to, by default, set permissions
of every file it creates to 777. I've looked around and I've seen a few
references to umask but I can't figure it out.

Thanks muchly.

Regards

Dave

p.s Windows XP and Windows ME *aren't* the best OSs in the world.

Re: OT: File permission strangeness [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Dave Holloway wrote:

> I work in a computer shop and we take in systems (running mostly the
> best OSs in the world - Windows XP Home and Windows ME) which we connect
> to our network in order to run windows update to get all the updates for
> the bugs.

Did you ever work with Psion computers?

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer

Re: File permission strangeness [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 16 September 2004 12:23, Dave Holloway wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I work in a computer shop and we take in systems (running mostly the
> best OSs in the world - Windows XP Home and Windows ME) which we connect
> to our network in order to run windows update to get all the updates for
> the bugs.
>
> Anywho.. downloading the windows updates takes ages so we've set up a
> Gentoo system running squid and apache to cache the updates on our local
> system, thus speeding up future updates. - everything is working -- almost.

Why are you using apache?
The whole point in squid is it caches files.
Set it to cache files larger than the biggest update you want to cache, and
next time it'll serve it from it's cache.

--
Mike Williams