Mailing List Archive

First wireless setup
I'm trying to set up wireless via a PCMCIA card. What needs to be
done to my system to get that working? I made sure the card had Linux
support before I bought it, I just don't know where to start with
this. Maybe a good howto somewhere?

- Grant

Re: First wireless setup [ In reply to ]
what happens when you plug it in?
there must be some log messages. also ifconfig -a and iwconfig should
show some info.

depending on the card you should get a new network device, it may be
ethn (where n depends on how mant other ethernet devices you have) or
wlan0 or wifi0.

you can use iwconfig to give the wireless parameters such as the essid,
connection mode and so on, use ifconfig to set up an ip address, gateway
etc.

once you have those working you can automate the process by looking in
the /etc/pcmcia directory (i think thats where it is - i don't have the
laptop at work sorry).

Re: First wireless setup [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Grant wrote:

> I'm trying to set up wireless via a PCMCIA card. What needs to be
> done to my system to get that working? I made sure the card had Linux
> support before I bought it, I just don't know where to start with
> this. Maybe a good howto somewhere?

Do you have the wireless-tools ebuild installed?

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer