P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
423-559-LINK (v) 423-559-5145 (f)
http://www.wingnet.net

Re: how to get epatch to leave a .rej file?? [ In reply to ]
Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I get a .rej file from epatch, or cause the
> ebuild to terminate on failure without cleaning up?

any emerge's that I've done that have failed, I've always had the
/var/tmp/portage/<foo> directory still there so I could take a peek and
see what happened.

Re: how to get epatch to leave a .rej file?? [ In reply to ]
Billy Holmes wrote:

> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> How can I get a .rej file from epatch, or cause the
>> ebuild to terminate on failure without cleaning up?
>
> any emerge's that I've done that have failed, I've always had the
> /var/tmp/portage/<foo> directory still there so I could take a peek and
> see what happened.

It's there, but I've got no .rej files in it or the work
subdir. I did this:

EPATCH_OPTS="-p1 -r /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej" \

Before my epatch line, and I get this in the .out file:

1 out of 9 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej

But /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej doesn't exist in my homedir.

What gives??

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,

Re: Re: how to get epatch to leave a .rej file?? [ In reply to ]
Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> EPATCH_OPTS="-p1 -r /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej" \
> Before my epatch line, and I get this in the .out file:
> 1 out of 9 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej
> But /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej doesn't exist in my homedir.
> What gives??

is /home/jesse writable by portage? (also are you using a sandbox?)

Re: Re: how to get epatch to leave a .rej file?? [ In reply to ]
Billy Holmes wrote:

> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>
>> EPATCH_OPTS="-p1 -r /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej" \
>> Before my epatch line, and I get this in the .out file:
>> 1 out of 9 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>> /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej But /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej doesn't exist
>> in my homedir. What gives??
>
> is /home/jesse writable by portage?

Uh, no. But /tmp *is*, and I just changed it to that with the same results:

1 out of 9 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /tmp/rblsmtpd.c.rej

# ls -al /tmp/rblsmtpd.c.rej
ls: /tmp/rblsmtpd.c.rej: No such file or directory
Exit 1

> (also are you using a sandbox?)

I think I must be, but how do I tell? And how do I work around it.
BTW, I'm modifying the sys-apps/ucspi-tcp-0.88-r8 ebuild, not
creating an entirely new one...

Re: Re: how to get epatch to leave a .rej file?? [ In reply to ]
Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> Billy Holmes wrote:
>
>> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>>
>>> EPATCH_OPTS="-p1 -r /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej" \
>>> Before my epatch line, and I get this in the .out file:
>>> 1 out of 9 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>>> /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej But /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej doesn't exist
>>> in my homedir. What gives??
>>
>> is /home/jesse writable by portage?
>
> Uh, no. But /tmp *is*, and I just changed it to that with the same
> results:
>
> 1 out of 9 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /tmp/rblsmtpd.c.rej
>
> # ls -al /tmp/rblsmtpd.c.rej
> ls: /tmp/rblsmtpd.c.rej: No such file or directory
> Exit 1
>

>> (also are you using a sandbox?)
>
> I think I must be, but how do I tell? And how do I work around it.
> BTW, I'm modifying the sys-apps/ucspi-tcp-0.88-r8 ebuild, not
> creating an entirely new one...

This must be a bug or undocumented feature of epatch or something.
If I just use normal patch then I get the .rej file. Ugh!

Re: Re: Re: how to get epatch to leave a .rej file?? [ In reply to ]
> EPATCH_OPTS="-p1 -r /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej" \
> Before my epatch line, and I get this in the .out file:
> 1 out of 9 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej But /home/jesse/rblsmtpd.c.rej doesn't exist
> in my homedir. What gives??

epatch tests the patches first (basically, calling patch with
--dry-run) before it attempts to patch anything. dry-run = no rejects,
because none of the patches were actually applied. At a guess, you
overriding EPATCH_OPTS simply appeneded your options to the patch
command, and the --dry-run option was still used...