Mailing List Archive

mount: command not found
I finished installing Gentoo from stage 1 on my new laptop, but when
it tries to boot the first message after the kernel stuff tells me
mount is an unknown command. I also noticed locate is an unknown
command and gentoolkit is definitely installed. Does anyone know what
is wrong?

- Grant

Re: mount: command not found [ In reply to ]

Re: mount: command not found [ In reply to ]
> I finished installing Gentoo from stage 1 on my new laptop, but when
> it tries to boot the first message after the kernel stuff tells me
> mount is an unknown command. I also noticed locate is an unknown
> command and gentoolkit is definitely installed. Does anyone know what
> is wrong?
>
> - Grant

Was your extraction of the Stage1 tar and subsiquent bootstrap of the
system successful and without errors during install? /bin/mount is
included in all 3 stage tarfiles. Sounds like yours had some problems.

Re: mount: command not found [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:43:01 +0200, Lode Vanstechelman
<lode.vanstechelman@vub.ac.be> wrote:

> Grant wrote:
> | I finished installing Gentoo from stage 1 on my new laptop, but when
>

> | it tries to boot the first message after the kernel stuff tells me
> | mount is an unknown command. I also noticed locate is an unknown
> | command and gentoolkit is definitely installed. Does anyone know what
> | is wrong?
> |
> | - Grant
> |
> | --
> |

> Perhaps you forgot to mount your /usr or your /bin partition?

I only created hda1, hda2, and hda3. I kept everything just about
dead-on with the manual. Should I start over?

- Grant

Re: mount: command not found [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:04:47 +0000, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:43:01 +0200, Lode Vanstechelman
> <lode.vanstechelman@vub.ac.be> wrote:
> >
> > Grant wrote:
> > | I finished installing Gentoo from stage 1 on my new laptop, but when
> >

> > | it tries to boot the first message after the kernel stuff tells me
> > | mount is an unknown command. I also noticed locate is an unknown
> > | command and gentoolkit is definitely installed. Does anyone know what
> > | is wrong?
> > |
> > | - Grant
> > |
> > | --
> > |

> > Perhaps you forgot to mount your /usr or your /bin partition?
>
> I only created hda1, hda2, and hda3. I kept everything just about
> dead-on with the manual. Should I start over?
>

> - Grant

Have you checked if there is a problem with your installation medium?
Check the md5 checksums if you have time...

Re: mount: command not found [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:07:23 +0300, Nikolaos Korkakakis
<korkakak@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:04:47 +0000, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:43:01 +0200, Lode Vanstechelman
> > <lode.vanstechelman@vub.ac.be> wrote:

> > > Perhaps you forgot to mount your /usr or your /bin partition?
> >
> > I only created hda1, hda2, and hda3. I kept everything just about
> > dead-on with the manual. Should I start over?
> >

> > - Grant
> >
> > --
> >

> Have you checked if there is a problem with your installation medium?
> Check the md5 checksums if you have time...

This is a non-issue with a stage 1 install isn't it? If not, I've
used the same minimal LiveCD in about 10 other installs. The last
half have been pretty routine, and never I've never seen a situation
like this.

Actually, a couple funny things come to mind. I did have to use
bootstrap-cascade.sh instead of bootstrap.sh because I updated my
deprecated profile as instructed to do by the initial emerge sync.
That hasn't happened before. After that I realized I had forgotten to
set up /etc/portage/package.use so I did a Ctrl+C, made the file,
started the bootstrap again, and everything went smoothly.

- Grant