Mailing List Archive

Weired PCMCIA Bdhaviour
Has anyone else had trouble w/PCMCIA services coming up on boot? It takes anywhere from 3 --> ? boots for pcmcia to be usable. I am speaking of a flash disk card which, before XfFree was installed, worked perfectly; this goes for xorg, too.

Some of the modules required for PCMCIA are not loading all the time, for some weird reason. Also, I note that on each and every boot a couple modules are reportedly 'not found' --though the kernel was built w/gentoo-sources using genkernel, which supposedly, according to the Handbook, delivers the same kernel as on the boot disk. Uh-uh. Doesn't happen on *this* box...

"Yogi" CH
Namaste Yoga Studio
Re: Weired PCMCIA Bdhaviour [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 10:58, Yogi-CH wrote:
> Has anyone else had trouble w/PCMCIA services coming up on boot? It
> takes anywhere from 3 --> ? boots for pcmcia to be usable. I am
> speaking of a flash disk card which, before XfFree was installed,
> worked perfectly; this goes for xorg, too.
>
> Some of the modules required for PCMCIA are not loading all the time,
> for some weird reason. Also, I note that on each and every boot a
> couple modules are reportedly 'not found' --though the kernel was
> built w/gentoo-sources using genkernel, which supposedly, according to
> the Handbook, delivers the same kernel as on the boot disk. Uh-uh.
> Doesn't happen on *this* box...
>
> "Yogi" CH
> Namaste Yoga Studio

The only time I have had trouble with PCMCIA at boot was if I had a card
plugged in. Then it would usually lock up, but if I leave the card out
until it is completely booted, it work fine.

Is the module error something about module i82365? If so, and you are
using a 2.6 kernel, I wouldn't worry about it. It should automatically
try to use yenta_socket after that, which is the default for 2.6 now.

Actually, the only problems I've had with PCMCIA recently is that it
will segfault after about the second or third time plugging something
in. The first time it loads ok, then if I unplug it and plug it back in
later, it segfaults. I haven't narrowed it down to what is causing it or
exactly when though.

Robert