Mailing List Archive

how to do a "--prefix=$PREFIX" emerge?
Suppose I want to emerge a package in /usr/local...
How to do that?

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas

Re: how to do a "--prefix=$PREFIX" emerge? [ In reply to ]
Nuno Lucas wrote:
> Suppose I want to emerge a package in /usr/local...

Why would you want to do that?

> How to do that?

man emerge shows:

ENVIRONMENT OPTIONS
ROOT = [path]
Use ROOT to specify the target root filesystem to be used for merging pack-
ages or ebuilds. Defaults to /.

So, I don't think there's a way to install to /usr/local. I suppose,
if you set ROOT=/usr/local, you'd get /usr/local/usr/bin, /usr/local/usr/share/man
etc.pp..

Alexander Skwar
--
panic("aha1740.c"); /* Goodbye */
2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aha1740.c

Re: how to do a "--prefix=$PREFIX" emerge? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:24:17 +0100 Nuno Lucas <ntl@nlucas.homeip.net>
wrote:
| Suppose I want to emerge a package in /usr/local...
| How to do that?

You don't. /usr/local is for things not installed by the package
manager. /usr is for things installed by the package manager.

[ Sidenote: *BSD gets this wrong. ]

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: how to do a "--prefix=$PREFIX" emerge? [ In reply to ]
Alexander W. Skwar, dando pulos de alegria, escreveu :
> Why would you want to do that?

It was to answer another guy who asked me.

> man emerge shows:
>
> ENVIRONMENT OPTIONS
> ROOT = [path]
> Use ROOT to specify the target root filesystem to be used for merging pack-
> ages or ebuilds. Defaults to /.
>
> So, I don't think there's a way to install to /usr/local. I suppose,
> if you set ROOT=/usr/local, you'd get /usr/local/usr/bin, /usr/local/usr/share/man
> etc.pp..

Damn, I hate asking questions whose answers are on the manual page.
Didn't see that somehow.

Sorry about that and thanks :)

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas

Re: how to do a "--prefix=$PREFIX" emerge? [ In reply to ]
Quoting Ciaran McCreesh (ciaranm@gentoo.org):
> You don't. /usr/local is for things not installed by the package
> manager. /usr is for things installed by the package manager.
>
> [ Sidenote: *BSD gets this wrong. ]

No they don't. /usr over there is for everything managed by the OS
itself and that is built from /usr/src.

/usr/local (or /usr/pkg for netbsd) is where the stuff NOT *BSD is
located. That is consistant with the philosophy of BSD and
historically has ben consistant with the UNIX-way.

In fact, only with Linux in general, that did I see stuff not provided
by a "vendor" put in /usr.

Maybe because with linux distros, everything is taken from a gazillion
of sources and brought back to form what we call an OS. So, in that
respect, maybe the usage of /usr is suitable there.

Ciao,
...David

--
// david lebel <lebel@{lebel.org,nobiaze.com}> //
// http://www.lebel.org/ http://www.nobiaze.com/ //

Re: how to do a "--prefix=$PREFIX" emerge? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:26:35 -0400 David Lebel <lebel@lebel.org> wrote:
| Quoting Ciaran McCreesh (ciaranm@gentoo.org):
| > You don't. /usr/local is for things not installed by the package
| > manager. /usr is for things installed by the package manager.
| >
| > [ Sidenote: *BSD gets this wrong. ]
|
| No they don't. /usr over there is for everything managed by the OS
| itself and that is built from /usr/src.

Aaah, this is the source of many great flamefests, and no-one ever
wins...

[ Sidenote: *BSD still gets this wrong. ]

[ Another Sidenote: Slowaris is far worse. ]

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: how to do a "--prefix=$PREFIX" emerge? [ In reply to ]
Quoting Ciaran McCreesh (ciaranm@gentoo.org):
> Aaah, this is the source of many great flamefests, and no-one ever
> wins...

Yeah, I rather not divulge myself into them. I'm a BSD-guy at heart.
I still think that with Linux in general, the distinction between what
is the OS and what is third-party software is blurred. With BSD, I
know that ls(1) is part of the OS and is managed by /usr/src and if I
want to fiddle with it's source code, I know where to go.

Firefox or even worse, Gimp isn't part of what we call the OS. It's
third-party software. ls(1) in Linux is from sys-apps/coreutils in
gentoo, but from GNU fileutils elsewhere.

So, I guess, in the end, since what we call "Linux" is a sum of a
gazillion of parts coming from a gazillion of sources, I guess it's
best to put it in a centralized way and provide support for all of
them as if they were part of the OS.

> [ Sidenote: *BSD still gets this wrong. ]

Well, you should say "*I think* *BSD still gets this wrong". To that,
I reply for *BSD, they do it right.

> [ Another Sidenote: Slowaris is far worse. ]

Yeah, sometimes it's /opt, sometimes it's /usr. Mostly since 2.8 they
started to do it the "Linux-way" by importing a bunch of GNU and free
software into the base OS (perl, bash, and other stuff).

Ciao,
...David