Is this the default behavior of gentoo? Can it be changed in some way to do it
more secure? At least to ask for the root's password.

10x

Re: kernel boot options [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 15 September 2004 07:41 am, Todor Tzankov wrote:
> Hi guys,
> recently I had to boot into single user mode and after passing the "single"
> kernel option surprisingly to me the machine booted and dropped into root
> shell even without asking for the root's password.
> Is this the default behavior of gentoo? Can it be changed in some way to do
> it more secure? At least to ask for the root's password.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=174126

http://security.linux.com/print.pl?sid=04/07/13/1922253

Beers,

Corey

- Benjamin Franklin

Re: kernel boot options [ In reply to ]
Am Mittwoch, 15. September 2004 09:41 schrieb ext Todor Tzankov:
> Hi guys,
> recently I had to boot into single user mode and after passing the
> "single" kernel option surprisingly to me the machine booted and dropped
> into root shell even without asking for the root's password.
> Is this the default behavior of gentoo? Can it be changed in some way to
> do it more secure? At least to ask for the root's password.

Use a password for grub. As long as you don't do that, everyone can boot
into linux w/o any password by editing the grub entry before booting and
append "init=/bin/bash" to the kernel boot params.

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)151 1513 6954
Cap Gemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@capgemini.com

Re: kernel boot options [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 14 September 2004 16:10, Corey wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 September 2004 07:41 am, Todor Tzankov wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > recently I had to boot into single user mode and after passing the
> > "single" kernel option surprisingly to me the machine booted and dropped
> > into root shell even without asking for the root's password.
> > Is this the default behavior of gentoo? Can it be changed in some way to
> > do it more secure? At least to ask for the root's password.
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=174126
>
> http://security.linux.com/print.pl?sid=04/07/13/1922253
>

> Beers,
>
> Corey

Thanks for the quick replies :)
I think that a grub password for changing boot options will suffice.