Mailing List Archive

scheduling
Ok, I'm not even sure if I have the correct term here so bear with me
:-P Just to get things straight, balancing CPU load is called
scheduling, correct? I was just wondering if anybody on the list knows
of a kernel patch or an already patched kernel src tree that will
immediately give the majority of the available CPU resources to whatever
it is that you're doing in the foreground. For example, say I'm on X
checking mail and talking on Gaim or something and meanwhile I have a
really large set of packages like KDE compiling on a virtual console.
I'd sort of like it to work this way:

As soon as I start actively running new programs like Mozilla and
interacting with them, I'd like the kernel to immediately schedule as
many resources as are needed to keep what I'm doing running smoothly.
Currently, when I'm compiling large packages in the background, it
leaves everything else jittery and extremely slow. I'd also like the
kernel to schedule most of the system's resources back to the compile
job is I ever leave what I'm doing idle for a while (possibly without
closing the programs I was using.) I know that this is probably just
dreaming, but are there any kernels out there that will at least come
kinda sorta close to this? :-P Thanks very much in advance :)

James
--
My blog: http://www.crazydrclaw.com/
My homepage: http://james.colannino.org/

"Black holes are where God divided by zero." --Steven Wright

Re: scheduling [ In reply to ]
James Colannino wrote:

> As soon as I start actively running new programs like Mozilla and
> interacting with them, I'd like the kernel to immediately schedule as
> many resources as are needed to keep what I'm doing running smoothly.

you may want to check out ck-sources. I'm running it on all my desktops
(and even one server), and it's wonderful :) I can compile a kernel, and
the 10 other people using the system with their X window sessions can't
even tell the difference.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

and he also has a very helpful mailing list designed to support his
patch set.

Re: scheduling [ In reply to ]
Ed Donahue wrote:

>> As soon as I start actively running new programs like Mozilla and
>> interacting with them, I'd like the kernel to immediately schedule as
>> many resources as are needed to keep what I'm doing running
>> smoothly. Currently, when I'm compiling large packages in the
>> background, it leaves everything else jittery and extremely slow.
>> I'd also like the kernel to schedule most of the system's resources
>> back to the compile job is I ever leave what I'm doing idle for a
>> while (possibly without closing the programs I was using.) I know
>> that this is probably just dreaming, but are there any kernels out
>> there that will at least come kinda sorta close to this? :-P Thanks
>> very much in advance :)
>>

> Rather than making all your user processes faster, simply change the
> priority on the background compile job to 19 (lowest priority). See
> manpages for 'nice' and 'renice'.

Ah, good idea ;) Thank you.

James

Re: scheduling [ In reply to ]

Re: scheduling [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:29:37 -0700
Ed Donahue <ed@2dum.com> wrote:

> > As soon as I start actively running new programs like Mozilla and
> > interacting with them, I'd like the kernel to immediately schedule
> > as many resources as are needed to keep what I'm doing running
> > smoothly. Currently, when I'm compiling large packages in the
> > background, it leaves everything else jittery and extremely slow.
> > I'd also like the kernel to schedule most of the system's resources
> > back to the compile job is I ever leave what I'm doing idle for a
> > while (possibly without closing the programs I was using.) I know
> > that this is probably just dreaming, but are there any kernels out
> > there that will at least come kinda sorta close to this? :-P Thanks
> > very much in advance :)
> >

> Rather than making all your user processes faster, simply change the
> priority on the background compile job to 19 (lowest priority). See
> manpages for 'nice' and 'renice'.

Also you can set niceness for compiling by putting in make.conf a line:

PORTAGE_NICENESS=3

or whatever nice level you want. That way you don't have to change it
all the time
--

Sarpy Sam
Thoughts from the Middle of Nowhere