Interesting to see what folks say about Gentoo...

enjoy...

James

Re: article on gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:44:49 -0400, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello
> http://linuxgazette.net/106/orr.html
>
> Has a nice little article on Gentoo, from a debian user.
> Interesting to see what folks say about Gentoo...

I was a little confused to read it to find that packages.gentoo.org
wasn't something he looked for... I'm guessing the author was in a
rush and didn't read all the lniks on the left hand side of
gentoo.org.

...Ric
--
Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)

Re: article on gentoo [ In reply to ]
in addition there was a promise of an article on Gentoo in Linux Journal
"real soon"

'twas in the letters page either the current issue or the one before.

Re: article on gentoo [ In reply to ]
Ric de France wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:44:49 -0400, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>http://linuxgazette.net/106/orr.html
>>
>>Has a nice little article on Gentoo, from a debian user.
>>Interesting to see what folks say about Gentoo...
>

> I was a little confused to read it to find that packages.gentoo.org
> wasn't something he looked for... I'm guessing the author was in a
> rush and didn't read all the lniks on the left hand side of
> gentoo.org.
>
> ...Ric

I think what he was referring to is the way Debian has packages
organized into categories, such as: Admin, Communications, Editors,
Electronics, Games, Graphics, Gnome.....

Is there a way to search packages.gentoo.org by category? keyword?

I often find myself looking at Debian's package classifications to
discover packages, then once I find something interesting or new, I
use emerge -s or emerge -pv to see if it is in portage. I also
recently used the new debian installer to install a sarge(testing) web
server for a friend. It was a breeze with scsi disks and including
apache2, php4, postgressql....Debian Installer is a very sweet and
easy install; 5 months ago it was a disaster. I recommend it(DI) for
newbies, but recommend Gentoo, for the die-hards and wannabies....

I agree with the author on one point. If you want to get the latest,
and see the details of the dependencies and options, and build from
sources, nothing comes close to Gentoo....

It is nice to have 2 really cool open source linux distros.... YMMV

James

Re: article on gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:57:19 -0400, wireless <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to search packages.gentoo.org by category? keyword?

http://packages.gentoo.org/categories/

Searching is usually done by the text box and the search button on the
right hand panel of every packages.gentoo.org page.

...Ric

Re: article on gentoo [ In reply to ]
I thought Gentoo packages where organised by category! If you want a easy
browsing frontend try:

emerge porthole

then you can browse in X by category

Re: article on gentoo [ In reply to ]
Sometimes porthole crashes after an emerge action.
This is a little annoying, but for browsing in the packages is good
enough. Better than portagemaster.

Re: article on gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 15:02 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> promise of an article on Gentoo in Linux Journal
> "real soon"

Since you asked:

"likely in the November issue..."

so said my trusty Editor. :)

That, of course, isn't official until it's, well, official [.in other
words, they'll get it in when they get a chance, so there's no need to
bug them about it].

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

OPERATIONAL DYNAMICS
Operations Consultants and Infrastructure Engineers

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/