Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Music management [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:36:07 +0000, mark@brier.me.uk <mark@brier.me.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Andy Herrman <aherrman@gmail.com>:
> > A little off-topic, but has anyone had any success with an ipod? I
> > was thinking of getting one, but I don't wanna use my gf's powerbook
> > for all my music.
>
> I dont actually have an iPod, but I read somewhere that you can use iTunes
> through CodeWeavers CrossoverOffice, which is a commercial product (you can
> download a trial) for linux, which allows you to install Win98 into Linux and
> run all manor of programs such as photoshop / dreamweaver / msoffice / winamp /
> and of course iTunes.
>
> Google it :-)

Back when iTunes for windows first came out I spent part of a day
trying to get iTunes to work in wine. Never managed to get it to work
though. Haven't tried Crossover Office before, though I have heard it
mentioned a lot.

-Andy

Re: Music management [ In reply to ]
Quoting Andy Herrman <aherrman@gmail.com>:

> Back when iTunes for windows first came out I spent part of a day
> trying to get iTunes to work in wine. Never managed to get it to work
> though. Haven't tried Crossover Office before, though I have heard it
> mentioned a lot.

There's a fair bit of Win software which doesn't seem to work in wine with the
default config, but crossover office (which is just wine tweaked I think) runs
them with ease.

Re: Music management [ In reply to ]
On Monday 13 September 2004 06:49 pm, Alex wrote:

> > I dont actually have an iPod, but I read somewhere that you can use
> > iTunes through CodeWeavers CrossoverOffice, which is a commercial
> > product (you can download a trial) for linux, which allows you to
> > install Win98 into Linux and run all manor of programs such as
> > photoshop / dreamweaver / msoffice / winamp / and of course iTunes.

> AFAIK Apple started working on an iTunes release for linux.
> Till then how about rhythmbox. I haven't tried it but its supposed to
> work.

One doesn't install Windoze at all when using Codeweavers' Crossover
product. Crossover is an implementation of WINE. Although iTunes under
Crossover sort of runs, many features are missing and it runs, well,
funky. I suspect it'll be ready "before Christmas" (tm).

--
Ed Jabbour

Re: Music management [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:22:24 -0400
Andy Herrman <aherrman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently got myself an iRiver iHP-120 mp3 player. It has 20 Gigs,
> and can play ogg. I want to start re-ripping my music to ogg, and am
> wondering what everyone's preferred ripper is.
>
> Eventually I want to be able to use this player exclusively from
> Linux. In order to do this I would need the following:
>
> 1) Be able to mount as a USB 2.0 HD
> 2) Have some piece of software that can manage music (like iTunes does
> preferably, with ratings and such). This would need to be able to
> export playlists in M3U format

I think juk (a kde thing) is supposed to do this sort of thing, but not
sure of detailed abilities.

> 3) Be able to rip CDs to OGG

if you want a real simple but flexible ripper try abcde (yes thats the
name of the packeage, A Better CD Encoder. its command line only, but
vert good IMHO

Re: Music management [ In reply to ]
> 1) Be able to mount as a USB 2.0 HD
> 2) Have some piece of software that can manage music (like iTunes does
> preferably, with ratings and such). This would need to be able to
> export playlists in M3U format

gtkpod is an iTunes clone that's pretty decent. I've used it with
fairly decent success with my RCA Lyra RD2820, even though the Lyra
doesn't support some of the fancier stuff (like ratings)...

Essentially, gtkpod is smart enough to just mount & copy the files to
the device, so it doesn't matter if the device is USB 1.0/1.1/2.0, or
even a CD... as long as you don't mind the imposed folder structure
and file naming scheme...

> 3) Be able to rip CDs to OGG

I'd use grip for this.

> > 2) Have some piece of software that can manage music (like
> iTunes does
> > preferably, with ratings and such). This would need to be able to
> > export playlists in M3U format
>
> gtkpod is an iTunes clone that's pretty decent. I've used it
> with fairly decent success with my RCA Lyra RD2820, even
> though the Lyra doesn't support some of the fancier stuff
> (like ratings)...
>
> Essentially, gtkpod is smart enough to just mount & copy the
> files to the device, so it doesn't matter if the device is
> USB 1.0/1.1/2.0, or even a CD... as long as you don't mind
> the imposed folder structure and file naming scheme...
>
> > 3) Be able to rip CDs to OGG
>
> I'd use grip for this.

Second on grip, used it to rip my entire library, although never tried
connecting my Rio Karma to my linux box.

Re: Music management [ In reply to ]
On Monday 13 September 2004 12:36, mark@brier.me.uk wrote:
> Quoting Andy Herrman <aherrman@gmail.com>:
> > A little off-topic, but has anyone had any success with an ipod? I
> > was thinking of getting one, but I don't wanna use my gf's
> > powerbook for all my music.
>
> I dont actually have an iPod, but I read somewhere that you can use
> iTunes through CodeWeavers CrossoverOffice, which is a commercial
> product (you can download a trial) for linux, which allows you to
> install Win98 into Linux and run all manor of programs such as
> photoshop / dreamweaver / msoffice / winamp / and of course iTunes.
>
> Google it :-)

AFAIK Apple started working on an iTunes release for linux.
Till then how about rhythmbox. I haven't tried it but its supposed to
work.
--
Alex

A hydrogen atom walks worried when a friend sees him:
- What's wrong? he asks
- I've lost an electron.
- Are you sure?
- I'm positive...
Re: Music management [ In reply to ]
On Monday 13 September 2004 19:55, ejbr@comcast.net wrote:
> On Monday 13 September 2004 06:49 pm, Alex wrote:
> > > I dont actually have an iPod, but I read somewhere that you can
> > > use iTunes through CodeWeavers CrossoverOffice, which is a
> > > commercial product (you can download a trial) for linux, which
> > > allows you to install Win98 into Linux and run all manor of
> > > programs such as photoshop / dreamweaver / msoffice / winamp /
> > > and of course iTunes.
> >
> > AFAIK Apple started working on an iTunes release for linux.
> > Till then how about rhythmbox. I haven't tried it but its supposed
> > to work.
>
> One doesn't install Windoze at all when using Codeweavers' Crossover
> product. Crossover is an implementation of WINE. Although iTunes
> under Crossover sort of runs, many features are missing and it runs,
> well, funky. I suspect it'll be ready "before Christmas" (tm).

Yep, I know.
Well it will sure work better if it is a native linux app.
I trust apple will do good. :)

Re: Music management [ In reply to ]
daniel <danstemporaryaccount@yahoo.ca> writes:

> On September 11, 2004 12:44 am, Rick Hennigan wrote:
>> But the ipod is just so darn cool!
>
> well ya. i'll give you that. and the commercials are pretty slick too ;-)

For coolness (and a lot more features than an iPod) you might want to
look at the iAudio M3...

--MC

--
Martin Corley Martin.Corley@ed.ac.uk
http://homepages.ed.ac.uk/martinc/

Re: Music management [ In reply to ]
On Monday 13 September 2004 05:18 pm, Brenden Walker wrote:
> [...]
KDE 3.2 used to open the audio cd with konqueror, and just rip to ogg right
from there, but since upgrading to 3.3 I have lost this for some reason?

Mike
--
Michael W. Holdeman

Powered by Gentoo Linux www.gentoo.org 2004.0
Kernel 2.6.7-win4lin-r3
Windows apps thanks to Win4Lin 5.1.16 netraverse.com
Wireless thanks to ndiswrapper

Re: Music management [ In reply to ]
I just checked and I already have kdemultimedia installed. However,
juk doesn't seem to exist. Is there a particular USE flag that's
needed to get juk?

(sent this once but I think it went just to Nick instead of the list)
Btw, for those who suggested grip, just something you might find
interesting. I ripped a few CDs to Ogg in Windows using dbPowerAmp,
and once CD in linux using grip. They all play fine, but grip did a
better job of tagging the files (and handled a multi-artist CD just
fine), though it seemed to rip slower, though that may have just been
my settings.

-Andy