Mailing List Archive

Files from remote to desktop
What would be the best way to move files stored on my remote server to
my local machine on my home network? I know scp could move something
from here to there, but what about the other way around?

- Grant

Re: Files from remote to desktop [ In reply to ]

Re: Files from remote to desktop [ In reply to ]
> I know scp could move something
> from here to there, but what about the other way around?

Just swap the arguments around so that your machine becomes the
destination and the remote machine is the host. Other than that you
can use the same switches (-r, -C etc.) as you would for copying the
other way.

Paul

Re: Files from remote to desktop [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 07:59:53PM +0000, Paul Waring wrote:
> > I know scp could move something
> > from here to there, but what about the other way around?
>
> Just swap the arguments around so that your machine becomes the
> destination and the remote machine is the host. Other than that you
> can use the same switches (-r, -C etc.) as you would for copying the
> other way.

If you're using scp to keep files on the two machines in sync, there's always
the danger that you'll scp the wrong way round and over-write the new version
with the old.

For synchronizing files, I highly recommend unison (it's in portage). It works
over ssh, uses the rsync protocol to determine when files have changed and
which one is newer, and to save bandwidth by only transferring differences,
and is extremely easy to use.

Toby
--
PhD Student
Quantum Information Theory group

email: toby@dr-qubit.org
web: www.dr-qubit.org

Re: Files from remote to desktop [ In reply to ]
Looks nice. I'll have to try it out.

Re: Files from remote to desktop [ In reply to ]
Quoting Grant (emailgrant@gmail.com):
> What would be the best way to move files stored on my remote server to
> my local machine on my home network? I know scp could move something
> from here to there, but what about the other way around?

scp works both way.

scp outthere:file.txt file.txt

or

scp file.txt outthere:file.txt

Ciao,
...David

--
// david lebel <lebel@{lebel.org,nobiaze.com}> //
// http://www.lebel.org/ http://www.nobiaze.com/ //

Re: Files from remote to desktop [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:10:19 -0400, David Lebel <lebel@lebel.org> wrote:

> Quoting Grant (emailgrant@gmail.com):
> > What would be the best way to move files stored on my remote server to
> > my local machine on my home network? I know scp could move something
> > from here to there, but what about the other way around?
>
> scp works both way.
>
> scp outthere:file.txt file.txt
>
> or
>
> scp file.txt outthere:file.txt
>
> Ciao,
> ...David

Worked perfectly. Thanks.

- Grant

Re: Files from remote to desktop [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:45:58 +0200, Toby Cubitt wrote:

> For synchronizing files, I highly recommend unison (it's in portage).
> It works over ssh, uses the rsync protocol to determine when files
> have changed and which one is newer, and to save bandwidth by only
> transferring differences, and is extremely easy to use.

I used to use Unison and found it excellent. Unfortunately, I can't get
it to work on amd64. Has anyone managed this?

--
Neil Bothwick

I am not arguing with you, I'm telling you.