Mailing List Archive

SOLVED: Re: Getting WiFi to work
On Tuesday, 9 April 2024 14:23:31 BST I wrote:

> I want to move my Intel i5 NUC box to a place where Ethernet is not
> available, nor like to become so. That means I have to get WiFi working,
> but I've had no success so far. The wiki pages are many, confusing and
> contradictory, so I'd like the panel's advice on the way to proceed.

Just reporting back.

I built a new system - using NetworkManager (after all I've said about it!) -
now that it's so much quicker using binpkgs.

It all went fairly smoothly, taking one step at a time through changing
several USE flags, installing various tools, and finally, adding the new wlan0
interface to shorewall.

The machine can now boot with either wired or wireless network, or both.

Thank you, all who helped.

Peter.
Re: SOLVED: Re: Getting WiFi to work [ In reply to ]
On 19/04/2024 17:02, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 April 2024 14:23:31 BST I wrote:

> Just reporting back.
>
> I built a new system - using NetworkManager (after all I've said about it!) -
> now that it's so much quicker using binpkgs.
>
> It all went fairly smoothly, taking one step at a time through changing
> several USE flags, installing various tools, and finally, adding the new wlan0
> interface to shorewall.
>
> The machine can now boot with either wired or wireless network, or both.
>
> Thank you, all who helped.

Any chance you can document those steps? I'm struggling to get wireless
working on my laptop - the statement in the handbook

> Wireless networking on Linux is usually pretty straightforward. There
are three ways of configuring wifi: graphical clients, text-mode
interfaces, and command-line interfaces.

just seems to be complete rubbish :-(

As far as I can tell, my kernel is bringing up the hardware fine - dmesg
tells me my wireless interface has come up fine with iwlwifi, and has
been renamed from wlan0 to wlo1. Network manager detects the ethernet
connection but can't even see the wireless connection.

Ummm ... of course, sod has just struck, I've rebooted, started Network
Manager (which I thought I'd uninstalled) and wonder of wonders I have
internet!

But some documentation would certainly be appreciated.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: SOLVED: Re: Getting WiFi to work [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 21 April 2024 23:30:54 BST Wol wrote:
> On 19/04/2024 17:02, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> >
> > Just reporting back.
> >
> > I built a new system - using NetworkManager (after all I've said about
> > it!) - now that it's so much quicker using binpkgs.
> >
> > It all went fairly smoothly, taking one step at a time through changing
> > several USE flags, installing various tools, and finally, adding the new
> > wlan0 interface to shorewall.
> >
> > The machine can now boot with either wired or wireless network, or both.
> >
> > Thank you, all who helped.
>
> Any chance you can document those steps?

Yes, I ought to do that. I just need to remember... ;-)

> I'm struggling to get wireless working on my laptop - the statement in the
> handbook Wireless networking on Linux is usually pretty straightforward.
> There are three ways of configuring wifi: graphical clients, text-mode
> interfaces, and command-line interfaces.
>
> just seems to be complete rubbish :-(

It does seem that way, indeed. It was certainly no use to me.

> As far as I can tell, my kernel is bringing up the hardware fine - dmesg
> tells me my wireless interface has come up fine with iwlwifi, and has
> been renamed from wlan0 to wlo1. Network manager detects the ethernet
> connection but can't even see the wireless connection.
>
> Ummm ... of course, sod has just struck, I've rebooted, started Network
> Manager (which I thought I'd uninstalled) and wonder of wonders I have
> internet!
>
> But some documentation would certainly be appreciated.

I'll see what I can do in the next day or two.

Peter.