Mailing List Archive

Handbook and question about manual network setup
Howdy,

I'm playing around with my NAS box again.  I ran into a network issue.
I sorta forgot I unplugged the network cable so obviously, it made it
difficult to ssh into the thing from my main rig.  After hooking up a
monitor and keyboard, I found the problem and plugged the network cable
back in.  ROFLMBO  Told y'all I forget stuff.

Anyway, while investigating this, I realized the network setup is not
like on my old rig.  Heck, I couldn't even figure out how to restart it
other than switching to the boot runlevel and back to default, or
rebooting.  After a bit, I think I can restart DHCP and it restart the
network.  I figured out the cable was unplugged before trying that.  I'm
wanting to set up the NAS box network the same way as my main rig.
That's the old manual way.  I went back to the install handbook, that's
what I followed when installing on my main rig.  Thing is, it has been
updated and the old way isn't all there.  I followed what little bit is
there but it defaults back to the new way.  I'm sure I'm missing some
file I need to edit but I can't figure out which one it is.  So, is
there a way to get the old instructions again?  The ones I followed
several years ago for my main rig?  I tried searching but it seems they
all gone.  Maybe there is a place I'm not aware of tho.  Basically, I
want to be able to start/stop/restart enp3s0 as a service and have it in
a runlevel.

Also, I'd like to get the install handbook as one large page.  My
intention is to save it locally for future reference as it is now.  I
may even print a copy.  I looked at all the places that have different
options but can't find the whole thing as one large page.  I looked
under several drop down menus and such.  A long time ago, it was a
option.  I just can't find it now.  May that option isn't available
anymore.  I wish I had a copy of the one from several years ago.  Back
when I installed on my main rig.

Some network info.  Lines that are commented out are options I tried but
didn't work.  It was worth a shot.  o_O

nas / # grep -r '!net' /etc/
/etc/rc.conf:rc_hotplug="!net.*"
nas / # grep -r 'enp3s0' /etc/
/etc/resolv.conf:# Generated by dhcpcd from enp3s0.dhcp
/etc/conf.d/net:config_enp3s0="dhcp"
/etc/conf.d/net:dns_servers_enp3s0="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
/etc/conf.d/net:#config_enp3s0="10.0.0.5"
nas / #nas / # ifconfig -s enp3s0
Iface      MTU    RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR    TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP
TX-OVR Flg
enp3s0           1500    16802      0      0 0         17196      0
0      0 BMRU
nas / #

Thoughts?  If I had the old install info, I think I could get it to
work.  I did last time.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2024-04-19 at 09:05 -0500, Dale wrote:
> Basically, I want to be able to start/stop/restart enp3s0 as a
> service and have it in a runlevel.

You should just need to create a symlink at /etc/init.d/net.enp3s0 that
points to /etc/init.d/net.lo and then you can do the usual rc-service
stuff with it.
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 19 April 2024 15:05:47 BST Dale wrote:

> Anyway, while investigating this, I realized the network setup is not
> like on my old rig. Heck, I couldn't even figure out how to restart it
> other than switching to the boot runlevel and back to default, or
> rebooting. After a bit, I think I can restart DHCP and it restart the
> network. I figured out the cable was unplugged before trying that. I'm
> wanting to set up the NAS box network the same way as my main rig.
> That's the old manual way. I went back to the install handbook, that's
> what I followed when installing on my main rig. Thing is, it has been
> updated and the old way isn't all there. I followed what little bit is
> there but it defaults back to the new way. I'm sure I'm missing some
> file I need to edit but I can't figure out which one it is. So, is
> there a way to get the old instructions again? The ones I followed
> several years ago for my main rig? I tried searching but it seems they
> all gone. Maybe there is a place I'm not aware of tho. Basically, I
> want to be able to start/stop/restart enp3s0 as a service and have it in
> a runlevel.

Without knowing what you refer to as 'The Old Way' Vs 'The New Way', or how
your 'main rig', Vs your 'old rig' may have been configured, I'll try to make
a guess, or two:

1. Old Way = netifrc

You configure /etc/conf.d/net using the well commented example provided in:

/usr/share/doc/netifrc-*/net.example.bz2

You symlink your interface enp3s0 to the net.lo netifrc init script and add it
to the default runlevel:

ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.enp3s0
rc-update add net.enp3s0 default

then (re)start, check the status, or stop your newly configured interface,
e.g.:

rc-service -v net.enp3s0 status
rc-service -v net.enp3s0 restart

More detailed info than you should ever need and all on one page, is provided
here:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netifrc

2. New Way = DHCP (?)

Although dhcp can be configured as a fallback option within /etc/conf.d/net in
addition to static addresses, gateways, etc., it can also be set up as a
standalone service without netifrc. Emerge dhcpcd and add it to the default
runlevel.

If you have set static IP address(es) at your home router for the old box and
its MAC address, then that's all you need to do before you run:

rc-service -v dhcpcd restart

If you prefer to not set up a configuration for your old rig on the router,
then you can add a static IP address in your /etc/dhcpcd.conf.

Again, more info than you should need is provided here:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dhcpcd

HTH, otherwise ask if you get stuck.
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
Matt Connell wrote:
> On Fri, 2024-04-19 at 09:05 -0500, Dale wrote:
>> Basically, I want to be able to start/stop/restart enp3s0 as a
>> service and have it in a runlevel.
> You should just need to create a symlink at /etc/init.d/net.enp3s0 that
> points to /etc/init.d/net.lo and then you can do the usual rc-service
> stuff with it.

I did that and went from default to boot runlevel and back to default
again but I still couldn't restart with the net.enp3s0 file.  Luckily, I
shut the rig down a bit ago.  I went to mow some grass.  Using push
mower since battery went bad on riding mower.  Anyway, when I booted it
back up just now, it worked.  I can start/stop/restart with the enp3s0
file like on my main rig.  It still says it is defaulting to DHCP which
makes me think I'm still missing something.  It says, I'm typing this in
manually.

Bringing up interface enp3s0
config_enp3s0 not specified; defaulting to DHCP

Then it continues bringing up the network.  I have this set:

nas / # cat /etc/conf.d/net
config_enp3s0="dhcp"
dns_servers_enp3s0="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
nas / #

Since I have it set to use DHCP already, why is it saying it is
defaulting to it?  Did I miss a file or something?   Shouldn't it just
use it without saying it is defaulting to it?  I don't recall seeing
this on my main rig.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
Michael wrote:
> On Friday, 19 April 2024 15:05:47 BST Dale wrote:
>
>> Anyway, while investigating this, I realized the network setup is not
>> like on my old rig. Heck, I couldn't even figure out how to restart it
>> other than switching to the boot runlevel and back to default, or
>> rebooting. After a bit, I think I can restart DHCP and it restart the
>> network. I figured out the cable was unplugged before trying that. I'm
>> wanting to set up the NAS box network the same way as my main rig.
>> That's the old manual way. I went back to the install handbook, that's
>> what I followed when installing on my main rig. Thing is, it has been
>> updated and the old way isn't all there. I followed what little bit is
>> there but it defaults back to the new way. I'm sure I'm missing some
>> file I need to edit but I can't figure out which one it is. So, is
>> there a way to get the old instructions again? The ones I followed
>> several years ago for my main rig? I tried searching but it seems they
>> all gone. Maybe there is a place I'm not aware of tho. Basically, I
>> want to be able to start/stop/restart enp3s0 as a service and have it in
>> a runlevel.
> Without knowing what you refer to as 'The Old Way' Vs 'The New Way', or how
> your 'main rig', Vs your 'old rig' may have been configured, I'll try to make
> a guess, or two:
>
> 1. Old Way = netifrc
>
> You configure /etc/conf.d/net using the well commented example provided in:
>
> /usr/share/doc/netifrc-*/net.example.bz2
>
> You symlink your interface enp3s0 to the net.lo netifrc init script and add it
> to the default runlevel:
>
> ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.enp3s0
> rc-update add net.enp3s0 default
>
> then (re)start, check the status, or stop your newly configured interface,
> e.g.:
>
> rc-service -v net.enp3s0 status
> rc-service -v net.enp3s0 restart
>
> More detailed info than you should ever need and all on one page, is provided
> here:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netifrc
>

> 2. New Way = DHCP (?)
>
> Although dhcp can be configured as a fallback option within /etc/conf.d/net in
> addition to static addresses, gateways, etc., it can also be set up as a
> standalone service without netifrc. Emerge dhcpcd and add it to the default
> runlevel.
>
> If you have set static IP address(es) at your home router for the old box and
> its MAC address, then that's all you need to do before you run:
>
> rc-service -v dhcpcd restart
>
> If you prefer to not set up a configuration for your old rig on the router,
> then you can add a static IP address in your /etc/dhcpcd.conf.
>
> Again, more info than you should need is provided here:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dhcpcd
>
> HTH, otherwise ask if you get stuck.

Rebooting the NAS box improved things.  See reply to Matt.  By old way,
I mean using a symlink to net.lo with the interface/card name such as
enp3s0 to start/stop/restart the service.  It still uses DHCP to get
connection info but I'd also like to specify the IP address if I can.  I
like to set those so that they don't change even if I move cables
around.  Main rig, NAS box, cell phone and printer.  The printer really
gets upset when something changes.

I think I should have used the word "older" instead of "old".  ROFL  :-D

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 19 April 2024 17:26:43 BST Dale wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > rc-service -v dhcpcd restart
> >
> > If you prefer to not set up a configuration for your old rig on the
> > router,
> > then you can add a static IP address in your /etc/dhcpcd.conf.
> >
> > Again, more info than you should need is provided here:
> >
> > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dhcpcd
> >
> > HTH, otherwise ask if you get stuck.
>
> Rebooting the NAS box improved things. See reply to Matt. By old way,
> I mean using a symlink to net.lo with the interface/card name such as
> enp3s0 to start/stop/restart the service. It still uses DHCP to get
> connection info but I'd also like to specify the IP address if I can. I
> like to set those so that they don't change even if I move cables
> around. Main rig, NAS box, cell phone and printer. The printer really
> gets upset when something changes.
>
> I think I should have used the word "older" instead of "old". ROFL :-D

OKey, dOKey, you can:

Configure static IP addresses for all your LAN devices on your home router.
Then set your devices to use DHCP to obtain an address from the router when
they come up. With a large number of devices which often change (e.g. guests
in a hotel) this is inadvisable, but with a home LAN with a handful of devices
this is not too much of a chore.

Alternatively, you can configure each of your devices with static IP
addresses. The URLs I sent you explain how to do this. For a couple of PCs
this should take less than 5 minutes, inc. restarting the NIC service, or a
reboot to make sure all works as intended on statup.
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 19 April 2024 17:20:44 BST Dale wrote:
> Matt Connell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2024-04-19 at 09:05 -0500, Dale wrote:
> >> Basically, I want to be able to start/stop/restart enp3s0 as a
> >> service and have it in a runlevel.
> >
> > You should just need to create a symlink at /etc/init.d/net.enp3s0 that
> > points to /etc/init.d/net.lo and then you can do the usual rc-service
> > stuff with it.
>
> I did that and went from default to boot runlevel and back to default
> again but I still couldn't restart with the net.enp3s0 file. Luckily, I
> shut the rig down a bit ago. I went to mow some grass. Using push
> mower since battery went bad on riding mower. Anyway, when I booted it
> back up just now, it worked. I can start/stop/restart with the enp3s0
> file like on my main rig. It still says it is defaulting to DHCP which
> makes me think I'm still missing something. It says, I'm typing this in
> manually.
>

> Bringing up interface enp3s0
> config_enp3s0 not specified; defaulting to DHCP
>

> Then it continues bringing up the network. I have this set:
>
> nas / # cat /etc/conf.d/net
> config_enp3s0="dhcp"
> dns_servers_enp3s0="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
> nas / #
>

> Since I have it set to use DHCP already, why is it saying it is
> defaulting to it? Did I miss a file or something? Shouldn't it just
> use it without saying it is defaulting to it? I don't recall seeing
> this on my main rig.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Normally you would use netifrc to configure a gateway and static IP address.
DHCP is a fallback, in case the static IP subnet has changed - e.g. because
you changed your home router.

If you *are* using dhcpcd to obtain an IP address from the router then
arguably your don't need netifrc at all, as I explained in my other message
earlier.

Regarding the messages you see on your main rig Vs the old rig, you can
compare the two PC's conf.net files for any differences.
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2024-04-19 at 17:34 +0100, Michael wrote:
> Configure static IP addresses for all your LAN devices on your home
> router.  Then set your devices to use DHCP to obtain an address from
> the router when they come up.  With a large number of devices which
> often change (e.g. guests in a hotel) this is inadvisable, but with a
> home LAN with a handful of devices this is not too much of a chore.

This is what I do, for the sake of the argument. I never touch client
configuration on anything; the router is the boss. Much easier that way
in my experience.
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
Michael wrote:
> On Friday, 19 April 2024 17:20:44 BST Dale wrote:
>> Matt Connell wrote:
>>> You should just need to create a symlink at /etc/init.d/net.enp3s0 that
>>> points to /etc/init.d/net.lo and then you can do the usual rc-service
>>> stuff with it.
>> I did that and went from default to boot runlevel and back to default
>> again but I still couldn't restart with the net.enp3s0 file. Luckily, I
>> shut the rig down a bit ago. I went to mow some grass. Using push
>> mower since battery went bad on riding mower. Anyway, when I booted it
>> back up just now, it worked. I can start/stop/restart with the enp3s0
>> file like on my main rig. It still says it is defaulting to DHCP which
>> makes me think I'm still missing something. It says, I'm typing this in
>> manually.
>>

>> Bringing up interface enp3s0
>> config_enp3s0 not specified; defaulting to DHCP
>>

>> Then it continues bringing up the network. I have this set:
>>
>> nas / # cat /etc/conf.d/net
>> config_enp3s0="dhcp"
>> dns_servers_enp3s0="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
>> nas / #
>>

>> Since I have it set to use DHCP already, why is it saying it is
>> defaulting to it? Did I miss a file or something? Shouldn't it just
>> use it without saying it is defaulting to it? I don't recall seeing
>> this on my main rig.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
> Normally you would use netifrc to configure a gateway and static IP address.
> DHCP is a fallback, in case the static IP subnet has changed - e.g. because
> you changed your home router.
>
> If you *are* using dhcpcd to obtain an IP address from the router then
> arguably your don't need netifrc at all, as I explained in my other message
> earlier.
>
> Regarding the messages you see on your main rig Vs the old rig, you can
> compare the two PC's conf.net files for any differences.

That's thing.  I think they are the same.  Here is my main rig, fireball.

root@fireball / # cat /etc/conf.d/net
config_enp3s0="dhcp"
dns_servers_enp3s0="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
root@fireball / #

NAS box:

nas / # cat /etc/conf.d/net
config_enp3s0="dhcp"
dns_servers_enp3s0="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
nas / #

One says it is defaulting, the other doesn't.  I've used grep to search,
I've looked everywhere I can think of that even might have some config
file for network stuff and I can't find any difference.

On your other reply.  I think I did set up the router to set IP
addresses.  I know I did for my phone and printer.  That printer used to
drive me nuts.  Every time the power would blink, it wouldn't print.  No
IP address so can't access it except through that tiny little display
and the buttons on the printer.  What a drag.  o_O

I'm missing something.  I set up the network on this rig almost a decade
ago.  I have very little memory of how I did it.  I always thought I
could just refer back to the install guide.  Didn't occur to me they
would remove stuff.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S. Back to mowing grass.
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 19 April 2024 18:04:57 BST Dale wrote:

> I'm missing something.

I don't think you are. Shutdown your main rig. Pull the ethernet cable.
Reboot. If the main rig's config is the same as the old rig,

AND

the router addressing is analogous on both PCs,

THEN

their behaviour and messages ought to be the same.

Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
Michael wrote:
> On Friday, 19 April 2024 18:04:57 BST Dale wrote:
>
>> I'm missing something.
> I don't think you are. Shutdown your main rig. Pull the ethernet cable.
> Reboot. If the main rig's config is the same as the old rig,
>
> AND
>
> the router addressing is analogous on both PCs,
>
> THEN
>
> their behaviour and messages ought to be the same.
>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>
>> P. S. Back to mowing grass.

OK.  I did my weekend OS updates on my main rig, fireball.  That
involves me switching to boot runlevel and back again.  When the network
started, no message about going to default.  It just showed it starting
up and using DHCP.   Looks like this:

 * Bringing up interface enp3s0
 *   dhcp ...
 *     Running dhcpcd ...

I thought of something.  My NAS box is shutdown right now so can't
check.  I bet DHCP is set to start in the default runlevel.  On my main
rig it is not set to start the DHCP service at all.  I suspect the NAS
box finds the DHCP service first and starts the network and then finds
the network service but it is already started.  When it starts the
network with the DHCP service, it does the default thing.  I'll test
that next time I boot up the NAS box.

I guess no one else found a way to get the install handbook on a single
page.  I'll have to copy and paste I guess.  That's gonna take a while.
O_O

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
Hi Dale,

On Sunday, 21 April 2024 03:32:32 BST Dale wrote:

> OK. I did my weekend OS updates on my main rig, fireball. That
> involves me switching to boot runlevel and back again. When the network
> started, no message about going to default. It just showed it starting
> up and using DHCP. Looks like this:
>

> * Bringing up interface enp3s0
> * dhcp ...
> * Running dhcpcd ...
>

> I thought of something. My NAS box is shutdown right now so can't
> check. I bet DHCP is set to start in the default runlevel. On my main
> rig it is not set to start the DHCP service at all. I suspect the NAS
> box finds the DHCP service first and starts the network and then finds
> the network service but it is already started. When it starts the
> network with the DHCP service, it does the default thing. I'll test
> that next time I boot up the NAS box.

On one box here I have neither netifrc configured, nor dhcpcd, although both
are installed. I have also made sure networkmanager is not installed.

However, netmount is in the default runlevel and netmount has the default net
dependency enabled:

$ grep -v "^#" /etc/conf.d/netmount
rc_need="net"

$ rc-update show -v | grep -i net
local | default nonetwork
net-online |
net.lo |
netmount | default

I believe this is what kicks in on my system first and brings up dhcpcd, which
in turn obtains an IP address from my router. I mostly configure static IP
addresses for known devices in my LAN on the router.

You can compare which network services are configured to come up on your NAS
Vs your main PC and also check any differences in /etc/rc.conf. Finally
search for "rc_need=" dependencies defined in your /etc/conf.d/*.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC#Dependency_behavior

> I guess no one else found a way to get the install handbook on a single
> page. I'll have to copy and paste I guess. That's gonna take a while.
> O_O
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

To save you copying:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation

but note the warning about links redirecting to individual pages:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 19 April 2024 16:05:47 CEST Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm playing around with my NAS box again. I ran into a network issue.
> I sorta forgot I unplugged the network cable so obviously, it made it
> difficult to ssh into the thing from my main rig. After hooking up a
> monitor and keyboard, I found the problem and plugged the network cable
> back in. ROFLMBO Told y'all I forget stuff.
>
> Anyway, while investigating this, I realized the network setup is not
> like on my old rig. Heck, I couldn't even figure out how to restart it
> other than switching to the boot runlevel and back to default, or
> rebooting. After a bit, I think I can restart DHCP and it restart the
> network. I figured out the cable was unplugged before trying that. I'm
> wanting to set up the NAS box network the same way as my main rig.
> That's the old manual way. I went back to the install handbook, that's
> what I followed when installing on my main rig. Thing is, it has been
> updated and the old way isn't all there. I followed what little bit is
> there but it defaults back to the new way. I'm sure I'm missing some
> file I need to edit but I can't figure out which one it is. So, is
> there a way to get the old instructions again? The ones I followed
> several years ago for my main rig? I tried searching but it seems they
> all gone. Maybe there is a place I'm not aware of tho. Basically, I
> want to be able to start/stop/restart enp3s0 as a service and have it in
> a runlevel.
>
> Also, I'd like to get the install handbook as one large page. My
> intention is to save it locally for future reference as it is now. I
> may even print a copy. I looked at all the places that have different
> options but can't find the whole thing as one large page. I looked
> under several drop down menus and such. A long time ago, it was a
> option. I just can't find it now. May that option isn't available
> anymore. I wish I had a copy of the one from several years ago. Back
> when I installed on my main rig.
>
> Some network info. Lines that are commented out are options I tried but
> didn't work. It was worth a shot. o_O
>

> nas / # grep -r '!net' /etc/
> /etc/rc.conf:rc_hotplug="!net.*"
> nas / # grep -r 'enp3s0' /etc/
> /etc/resolv.conf:# Generated by dhcpcd from enp3s0.dhcp
> /etc/conf.d/net:config_enp3s0="dhcp"
> /etc/conf.d/net:dns_servers_enp3s0="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
> /etc/conf.d/net:#config_enp3s0="10.0.0.5"
> nas / #nas / # ifconfig -s enp3s0
> Iface MTU RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP
> TX-OVR Flg
> enp3s0 1500 16802 0 0 0 17196 0
> 0 0 BMRU
> nas / #
>

> Thoughts? If I had the old install info, I think I could get it to
> work. I did last time. ;-)

Yes, try:
config_enp3s0="10.0.0.5/24"
routes_enp3s0="default gw <ip of your router>"

Changes to what I see:
1) You forgot the netmask ( /24 ) for the network
2) I don't see a default route

--
Joost
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 21 April 2024 20:36:56 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
> [...]
> >

> > nas / # grep -r '!net' /etc/
> > /etc/rc.conf:rc_hotplug="!net.*"
> > nas / # grep -r 'enp3s0' /etc/
> > /etc/resolv.conf:# Generated by dhcpcd from enp3s0.dhcp
> > /etc/conf.d/net:config_enp3s0="dhcp"
> > /etc/conf.d/net:dns_servers_enp3s0="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
> > /etc/conf.d/net:#config_enp3s0="10.0.0.5"
> > nas / #nas / # ifconfig -s enp3s0
> > Iface MTU RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP
> > TX-OVR Flg
> > enp3s0 1500 16802 0 0 0 17196 0
> > 0 0 BMRU
> > nas / #
> >

> > Thoughts? If I had the old install info, I think I could get it to
> > work. I did last time. ;-)
>
> Yes, try:
> config_enp3s0="10.0.0.5/24"
> routes_enp3s0="default gw <ip of your router>"
>
> Changes to what I see:
> 1) You forgot the netmask ( /24 ) for the network

That'll certainly work to specify a static IP address on the PC, but I
understood Dale wanted to use DHCP to obtain an IP dynamically from the router
and only use netifrc to set up DNS resolvers.
Re: Handbook and question about manual network setup [ In reply to ]
Michael wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> On Sunday, 21 April 2024 03:32:32 BST Dale wrote:
>
>> OK. I did my weekend OS updates on my main rig, fireball. That
>> involves me switching to boot runlevel and back again. When the network
>> started, no message about going to default. It just showed it starting
>> up and using DHCP. Looks like this:
>>

>> * Bringing up interface enp3s0
>> * dhcp ...
>> * Running dhcpcd ...
>>

>> I thought of something. My NAS box is shutdown right now so can't
>> check. I bet DHCP is set to start in the default runlevel. On my main
>> rig it is not set to start the DHCP service at all. I suspect the NAS
>> box finds the DHCP service first and starts the network and then finds
>> the network service but it is already started. When it starts the
>> network with the DHCP service, it does the default thing. I'll test
>> that next time I boot up the NAS box.
> On one box here I have neither netifrc configured, nor dhcpcd, although both
> are installed. I have also made sure networkmanager is not installed.
>
> However, netmount is in the default runlevel and netmount has the default net
> dependency enabled:
>
> $ grep -v "^#" /etc/conf.d/netmount
> rc_need="net"
>
> $ rc-update show -v | grep -i net
> local | default nonetwork
> net-online |
> net.lo |
> netmount | default
>
> I believe this is what kicks in on my system first and brings up dhcpcd, which
> in turn obtains an IP address from my router. I mostly configure static IP
> addresses for known devices in my LAN on the router.
>
> You can compare which network services are configured to come up on your NAS
> Vs your main PC and also check any differences in /etc/rc.conf. Finally
> search for "rc_need=" dependencies defined in your /etc/conf.d/*.
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC#Dependency_behavior
>

>> I guess no one else found a way to get the install handbook on a single
>> page. I'll have to copy and paste I guess. That's gonna take a while.
>> O_O
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
> To save you copying:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation
>
> but note the warning about links redirecting to individual pages:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full

My thought was right.  My main rig does not have dhcpcd in any
runlevel.  I booted up the NAS box and checked to see if dhcpcd was
listed anywhere.  Sure enough, it was in the default runlevel.  I
removed it and then rebooted.  There was no mention of defaulting to
anything, the network just came up.  So, I guess dhcpcd was trying to
start the network first which means it never really saw any of the
config files I was adding info too.  It was starting before those came
into the picture.  So, now both rigs work the same and I can
start/stop/restart the network on both machines the same way.

I suspect if I edited some dhcp config file and set up the ethernet the
proper way, it would just come up like it does now, after the change.
Also, nothing against dhcp on my part.  My main rig uses it.  I wanted
the NAS box to use it as well, just the same as my main rig.  It works
great, even if one doesn't do anything to it.  Having it set up tho does
give more consistent results, as in the same IP address.  I can't recall
the last time I had dhcp to fail actually.

Thanks for the links on the full docs on one page.  I already copy and
pasted it to a LOo doc and am editing out parts I won't ever use.  It's
116 pages and I'm sure there are parts in there that won't ever apply to
me, systemd for example.  Maybe I can get the page count down to 100 or
so.  If I'm lucky.

Is there anyway to know when the doc changes and what changes?  And how
did you find that link?  I looked everywhere.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)