!!! Error fetching binhost package info from 'https://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/binpackages/27/x86-64'
!!! HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Then I tried setting 'default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma' as the <arch>,
but I still got the 404 error.

What am I doing wrong?

1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Optional:_Adding_a_binary_package_host

2. sync-uri = https://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/<arch>/binpackages/<profile>/x86-64/

Peter.
Re: Using the new binpkgs [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 15 April 2024 12:19:02 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've decided to follow the instructions in [1] on one of my machines, which
> runs too hot for my comfort on long emerges, but I need some advice, please:
> where the wiki gives this [2], I'm setting 'amd64' as the <arch> and '27'
> as the <profile>.
>
> Then, when I try to emerge a package, I get this:
>
> !!! Error fetching binhost package info from
> 'https://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/binpackages/27/x86-64' !!!
> HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>
> Then I tried setting 'default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma' as the
> <arch>, but I still got the 404 error.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Sorry about the noise. The answer is simple: go to the ...binpackages page and
look! The 27 should be 23.0.

Peter.
Re: Using the new binpkgs [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

I'd like to understand your confusion. Where did you get 27 from?

Cheers,
Waldo

Re: Using the new binpkgs [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 15 April 2024 13:24:59 BST Waldo Lemmer wrote:

> I'd like to understand your confusion. Where did you get 27 from?

From ref 1, viz:
"The architecture and profile targets within the sync-uri value do matter and
should align to the respective computer architecture (amd64 in this case) and
system profile selected in the Choosing the right profile section."

I think it should refer to a family of profiles, or perhaps a series. Something
to refer specifically to, in this case, 23.0.

It might have saved me some sawdust under the finger-nails. :)

Peter.
Re: Using the new binpkgs [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

"Profile version" is the correct term here.

I don't have the privileges required to edit the Handbook, but as soon as I
have the time, I will propose a fix and make sure it gets applied.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Regards,
Waldo

Re: Using the new binpkgs [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 15 April 2024 12:19:02 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:

Hello list,

[Big snip]

I'm still mystified by these Gentoo binary packages. I assume that they're
generated using the default USE flags in the profile version (whence the need to
specify it in gentoobinhost.conf).

So why is portage not fetching webkit-gtk from the repo? I've just had to
compile it from source, even though nothing in /etc/portage/ refers to it
(except for wxGTK depending on it). Therefore I assume i meet the conditions
for using the binpkg, but apparently not.

Clues, anyone?

Peter.
Re: Using the new binpkgs [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 at 15:43, Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm still mystified by these Gentoo binary packages. I assume that they're
> generated using the default USE flags in the profile version (whence the need to
> specify it in gentoobinhost.conf).
>
> So why is portage not fetching webkit-gtk from the repo? I've just had to
> compile it from source, even though nothing in /etc/portage/ refers to it
> (except for wxGTK depending on it). Therefore I assume i meet the conditions
> for using the binpkg, but apparently not.

A variety of USE combinations are built, but it needs to match your
case. Check your binhost mirror to see which combinations exist, for
instance at https://ftp.lysator.liu.se/gentoo/releases/amd64/binpackages/23.0/x86-64/Packages

Search for 'CPV: net-libs/webkit-gtk' and check the USE line for the
matching package versions you're wondering about.

Regards,
Arve
Re: Using the new binpkgs [ In reply to ]
If you add --ask --verbose, Portage should tell you why it's falling back
to the source package.

Does your emerge command include --getbinpkg, or -g?

Re: Using the new binpkgs [ In reply to ]
(Rearranged in chronological order...)

On Tuesday, 16 April 2024 15:08:33 BST Waldo Lemmer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2024, 15:43 Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Monday, 15 April 2024 12:19:02 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
--->8
> > I'm still mystified by these Gentoo binary packages. I assume that they're
> > generated using the default USE flags in the profile version (whence the
> > need to specify it in gentoobinhost.conf).
> >
> > So why is portage not fetching webkit-gtk from the repo? I've just had to
> > compile it from source, even though nothing in /etc/portage/ refers to it
> > (except for wxGTK depending on it). Therefore I assume i meet the
> > conditions
> > for using the binpkg, but apparently not.
> >
> > Clues, anyone?
>
> If you add --ask --verbose, Portage should tell you why it's falling back
> to the source package.

This is what I get after this morning's update:

========
Dependency resolution took 16.03 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild N ] gui-libs/gtk-4.12.5:4::gentoo USE="X cups gstreamer
introspection wayland (-aqua) -broadway -cloudproviders -colord -examples (-
ffmpeg) -sysprof -test (-vulkan)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="f16c" 16,909 KiB
[binary NS ] net-libs/libsoup-3.4.4-2:3.0::gentoo [2.74.3:2.4::gentoo]
USE="brotli* introspection ssl vala -gssapi -gtk-doc -samba -sysprof -test"
ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 390 KiB
[ebuild NS ] net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.42.5-r600:6/0::gentoo
[2.42.5:4/37::gentoo] USE="X gstreamer introspection jpeg2k jumbo-build lcms
pdf (seccomp) spell wayland (-aqua) -avif -examples -gamepad -jpegxl -keyring
-systemd" 0 KiB

Total: 3 packages (1 new, 2 in new slots, 1 binary), Size of downloads: 17,299
KiB

!!! The following binary packages have been ignored due to non matching USE:

=gui-libs/gtk-4.12.5 colord -cpu_flags_x86_f16c sysprof
=gui-libs/gtk-4.12.5 -cpu_flags_x86_f16c -gstreamer
========

Notice that there's no mention of non-matching USE in webkit-gtk. And, re
gtk-4.12.5, why do the USE flags not match the default in the profile? And what
on earth is 'cpu_flags_x86_f16c'? And why does gtk get two different lines for
the same package?

What's more, neither gtk nor libsoup was mentioned this morning, and I haven't
sync'd in the interim.

You see why I'm mystified - unless I've messed up my scripts, of course.

> Does your emerge command include --getbinpkg, or -g?

Of course; I /am/ doing my best to follow the instructions verbatim.

Peter.
Re: Using the new binpkgs [ In reply to ]
On April 16, 2024 10:44:55 AM EDT, Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>This is what I get after this morning's update:
>
>========
>Dependency resolution took 16.03 s (backtrack: 0/20).
>
>[ebuild N ] gui-libs/gtk-4.12.5:4::gentoo USE="X cups gstreamer
>introspection wayland (-aqua) -broadway -cloudproviders -colord -examples (-
>ffmpeg) -sysprof -test (-vulkan)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="f16c" 16,909 KiB
>[binary NS ] net-libs/libsoup-3.4.4-2:3.0::gentoo [2.74.3:2.4::gentoo]
>USE="brotli* introspection ssl vala -gssapi -gtk-doc -samba -sysprof -test"
>ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 390 KiB
>[ebuild NS ] net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.42.5-r600:6/0::gentoo
>[2.42.5:4/37::gentoo] USE="X gstreamer introspection jpeg2k jumbo-build lcms
>pdf (seccomp) spell wayland (-aqua) -avif -examples -gamepad -jpegxl -keyring
>-systemd" 0 KiB
>
>Total: 3 packages (1 new, 2 in new slots, 1 binary), Size of downloads: 17,299
>KiB
>
>!!! The following binary packages have been ignored due to non matching USE:
>
> =gui-libs/gtk-4.12.5 colord -cpu_flags_x86_f16c sysprof
> =gui-libs/gtk-4.12.5 -cpu_flags_x86_f16c -gstreamer
>========
>
>Notice that there's no mention of non-matching USE in webkit-gtk. And, re
>gtk-4.12.5, why do the USE flags not match the default in the profile? And what
>on earth is 'cpu_flags_x86_f16c'? And why does gtk get two different lines for
>the same package?

CPU_FLAGS_X86 is probably in your make.conf. It is an expanded USE and not typically set per package.

Two different lines for the same package is because there are two different sets of USE flags available on the binhost. Because the binhost compiles it on two different builders with different USE flags. (There is a server profile, a gnome profile, and a KDE profile.)

webkit-gtk isn't mentioned at all, because the binhost doesn't have a binary package for SLOT="2.42.5". Is there a reason you expected it would be? The binhost has many packages, and lacks many packages. The ones it has tend to be popular leaf applications and their dependencies. The package you're trying to install is a library framework -- perhaps none of the binhost packages depend on that specific SLOT for webkit-gtk.

>What's more, neither gtk nor libsoup was mentioned this morning, and I haven't
>sync'd in the interim.

Why should they have been mentioned, if they are only needed (marked as "New", not updated) because you're trying to install webkit-gtk from scratch?

>You see why I'm mystified - unless I've messed up my scripts, of course.
>
> Does your emerge command include --getbinpkg, or -g?
>
>Of course; I /am/ doing my best to follow the instructions verbatim.

--
Eli Schwartz
Re: Using the new binpkgs [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 16 April 2024 16:29:09 BST Eli Schwartz wrote:

[Big snip]

Never mind. I've solved the problem by removing sci-misc/boinc and its 40-odd
dependencies. The machine was only barely capable of running it anyway.

Peter.