Mailing List Archive

eselect repository and adding overlay.
Howdy,

A while back using overlays changed.  Using eselect is supposed to be
the new way, and easier.  Either I'm missing something or something is
missing from the docs.  I tried to add voyageur to my NAS box/backup
rig.  The command to add it works fine.  However, when I try to sync it,
either just the overlay or the whole tree with eix-sync, I get this:

>>> Syncing repository 'voyageur' into '/var/db/repos/voyageur'...
/usr/bin/git clone --depth 1
https://cafarelli.fr/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/voyageur-overlay/ .
fatal: destination path '.' already exists and is not an empty directory.
!!! git clone error in /var/db/repos/voyageur

Action: sync for repo: gentoo, returned code = 0
Action: sync for repo: voyageur, returned code = 128

When I try to emerge something, anything will do, I start seeing this.

WARNING: One or more repositories have missing repo_name entries:

        /var/db/repos/voyageur/profiles/repo_name

NOTE: Each repo_name entry should be a plain text file containing a
unique name for the repository on the first line.

Shouldn't adding the overlay or syncing it fix that?  Shouldn't all the
files it needs be put there by either eselect or a sync?

Can someone give the exact steps it takes to add a overlay and it not
error out?  Maybe someone has some notes or something??  I've went
through the docs a few times and it gets me back to this problem.
Something is wrong somewhere.

Oh, I tried to google this, all I find is hits about the old layman
days.  Doesn't really apply now.  Need more up to date info.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: eselect repository and adding overlay. [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 7 April 2024 20:17:31 BST Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> A while back using overlays changed. Using eselect is supposed to be
> the new way, and easier. Either I'm missing something or something is
> missing from the docs. I tried to add voyageur to my NAS box/backup
> rig. The command to add it works fine. However, when I try to sync it,
> either just the overlay or the whole tree with eix-sync, I get this:

> /usr/bin/git clone --depth 1
> https://cafarelli.fr/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/voyageur-overlay/ .
> fatal: destination path '.' already exists and is not an empty directory.
> !!! git clone error in /var/db/repos/voyageur
>
> Action: sync for repo: gentoo, returned code = 0
> Action: sync for repo: voyageur, returned code = 128
>

> When I try to emerge something, anything will do, I start seeing this.
>

> WARNING: One or more repositories have missing repo_name entries:
>
> /var/db/repos/voyageur/profiles/repo_name
>
> NOTE: Each repo_name entry should be a plain text file containing a
> unique name for the repository on the first line.
>

> Shouldn't adding the overlay or syncing it fix that? Shouldn't all the
> files it needs be put there by either eselect or a sync?

If you have older files in there it may be causing a clash. I'd run:

eselect repository remove -f voyageur

Then check the directory /var/db/repos/ no longer contains the subdirectory
voyager. If it does remove it manually. Then add the repository afresh:

eselect repository add voyageur

and finally try to resync it. Should the error repeat itself, then something
must be amiss with the overlay itself and you should report it to the overlay
maintainer.

HTH,
Re: eselect repository and adding overlay. [ In reply to ]
Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 April 2024 20:17:31 BST Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> A while back using overlays changed. Using eselect is supposed to be
>> the new way, and easier. Either I'm missing something or something is
>> missing from the docs. I tried to add voyageur to my NAS box/backup
>> rig. The command to add it works fine. However, when I try to sync it,
>> either just the overlay or the whole tree with eix-sync, I get this:

>> /usr/bin/git clone --depth 1
>> https://cafarelli.fr/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/voyageur-overlay/ .
>> fatal: destination path '.' already exists and is not an empty directory.
>> !!! git clone error in /var/db/repos/voyageur
>>
>> Action: sync for repo: gentoo, returned code = 0
>> Action: sync for repo: voyageur, returned code = 128
>>

>> When I try to emerge something, anything will do, I start seeing this.
>>

>> WARNING: One or more repositories have missing repo_name entries:
>>
>> /var/db/repos/voyageur/profiles/repo_name
>>
>> NOTE: Each repo_name entry should be a plain text file containing a
>> unique name for the repository on the first line.
>>

>> Shouldn't adding the overlay or syncing it fix that? Shouldn't all the
>> files it needs be put there by either eselect or a sync?
> If you have older files in there it may be causing a clash. I'd run:
>
> eselect repository remove -f voyageur
>
> Then check the directory /var/db/repos/ no longer contains the subdirectory
> voyager. If it does remove it manually. Then add the repository afresh:
>
> eselect repository add voyageur
>
> and finally try to resync it. Should the error repeat itself, then something
> must be amiss with the overlay itself and you should report it to the overlay
> maintainer.
>
> HTH,

I tested another overlay, it works.  Maybe it is the voyageur overlay
itself.  Now to figure out how to fix it.

I guess I could copy the directory from my main rig to the NAS box rig.
My main rig isn't complaining.  Yet.

Thanks.  Didn't occur to me that it was the overlay itself.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)