logic and not let binutils emerge gcc?

Cheers,
Wol
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 7 April 2024 11:00:49 BST Wols Lists wrote:
> What do I do here - "emerge binutils" (step 9) wants to emerge gcc,
> which the instructions say "emerge AFTER binutils".
>
> With gcc it says "don't let it emerge glibc", should I apply the same
> logic and not let binutils emerge gcc?
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Step 1:

Ensure your system backups are up to date. Please also update your system
fully and depclean before proceeding.

Have you done this already after a fresh rsync of portage?
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On 07/04/2024 11:00, Wols Lists wrote:
> What do I do here - "emerge binutils" (step 9) wants to emerge gcc,
> which the instructions say "emerge AFTER binutils".
>
> With gcc it says "don't let it emerge glibc", should I apply the same
> logic and not let binutils emerge gcc?

Just to follow up to myself, I've just done a complete update, but a lot
of the dependencies are pulled in by "change-use", namely lzma, zstd. Is
that fallout from the XZ debacle? Would a --no-deps be safe?

Cheers,
Wol
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 7 April 2024 11:21:00 BST Wols Lists wrote:
> On 07/04/2024 11:00, Wols Lists wrote:
> > What do I do here - "emerge binutils" (step 9) wants to emerge gcc,
> > which the instructions say "emerge AFTER binutils".
> >
> > With gcc it says "don't let it emerge glibc", should I apply the same
> > logic and not let binutils emerge gcc?
>
> Just to follow up to myself, I've just done a complete update, but a lot
> of the dependencies are pulled in by "change-use", namely lzma, zstd. Is
> that fallout from the XZ debacle? Would a --no-deps be safe?
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Are you still on your original profile, or have you used eselect to change it
to profile 23.0?

If the latter, change back to your old profile, update @world, depclean and
then start with the rest of the migration instructions.
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On 07/04/2024 11:15, Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 April 2024 11:00:49 BST Wols Lists wrote:
>> What do I do here - "emerge binutils" (step 9) wants to emerge gcc,
>> which the instructions say "emerge AFTER binutils".
>>
>> With gcc it says "don't let it emerge glibc", should I apply the same
>> logic and not let binutils emerge gcc?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wol
>
> Step 1:
>
> Ensure your system backups are up to date. Please also update your system
> fully and depclean before proceeding.
>
> Have you done this already after a fresh rsync of portage?

YES.

I've printed off the list, and am working my way down it ...

My system defaults to deep, changed use, etc etc. I could revert the
profile change and try again, we'll see.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On 07/04/2024 11:15, Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 April 2024 11:00:49 BST Wols Lists wrote:
>> What do I do here - "emerge binutils" (step 9) wants to emerge gcc,
>> which the instructions say "emerge AFTER binutils".
>>
>> With gcc it says "don't let it emerge glibc", should I apply the same
>> logic and not let binutils emerge gcc?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wol
>
> Step 1:
>
> Ensure your system backups are up to date. Please also update your system
> fully and depclean before proceeding.
>
> Have you done this already after a fresh rsync of portage?

Note that my current profile is marked experimental ...

[9] default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma/systemd/merged-usr (exp)

and I also have no stable 20 or 22 profiles to upgrade to.

And "emerge --changed-use" gives me nothing to emerge.

thewolery /usr/local/bin # emerge --update --deep --changed-use --newuse
@world
Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 21.46 s (backtrack: 0/20).

thewolery /usr/local/bin #

Cheers,
Wol
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On 07/04/2024 11:23, Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 April 2024 11:21:00 BST Wols Lists wrote:
>> On 07/04/2024 11:00, Wols Lists wrote:
>>> What do I do here - "emerge binutils" (step 9) wants to emerge gcc,
>>> which the instructions say "emerge AFTER binutils".
>>>
>>> With gcc it says "don't let it emerge glibc", should I apply the same
>>> logic and not let binutils emerge gcc?
>>
>> Just to follow up to myself, I've just done a complete update, but a lot
>> of the dependencies are pulled in by "change-use", namely lzma, zstd. Is
>> that fallout from the XZ debacle? Would a --no-deps be safe?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wol
>
> Are you still on your original profile, or have you used eselect to change it
> to profile 23.0?
>
> If the latter, change back to your old profile, update @world, depclean and
> then start with the rest of the migration instructions.

Just done that. See my other email.

NOTHING TO UPDATE (unless I've messed up my emerge ...)

Cheers,
Wol
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 7 April 2024 11:48:07 BST Wols Lists wrote:
> On 07/04/2024 11:23, Michael wrote:

> >> Just to follow up to myself, I've just done a complete update, but a lot
> >> of the dependencies are pulled in by "change-use", namely lzma, zstd. Is
> >> that fallout from the XZ debacle? Would a --no-deps be safe?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Wol
> >
> > Are you still on your original profile, or have you used eselect to change
> > it to profile 23.0?
> >
> > If the latter, change back to your old profile, update @world, depclean
> > and
> > then start with the rest of the migration instructions.
>
> Just done that. See my other email.
>
> NOTHING TO UPDATE (unless I've messed up my emerge ...)
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

OK, in case you haven't, I'd also run:

emerge @preserved-rebuild -v -a

and

emerge --depclean -v -a

to remove any dependencies no longer needed.

Then change your profile to:

[28] default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma/systemd (stable)

and continue with the emerge of binutils, gcc, glibc, libtool. You can use
'--nodeps' to emerge them in the order given in the profile migration guide,
although from what I've experienced this only happens with gcc and glibc. :-/
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On 07/04/2024 11:48, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 07/04/2024 11:23, Michael wrote:

>>> Just to follow up to myself, I've just done a complete update, but a lot
>>> of the dependencies are pulled in by "change-use", namely lzma, zstd. Is
>>> that fallout from the XZ debacle? Would a --no-deps be safe?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Wol
>>
>> Are you still on your original profile, or have you used eselect to
>> change it
>> to profile 23.0?
>>
>> If the latter, change back to your old profile, update @world,
>> depclean and
>> then start with the rest of the migration instructions.
>
> Just done that. See my other email.
>
> NOTHING TO UPDATE (unless I've messed up my emerge ...)

Interesting ... just done this under the old profile ...

thewolery /usr/local/bin # emerge --ask --oneshot sys-devel/binutils

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 3.19 s (backtrack: 0/20).

Nothing to merge; quitting.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 7 April 2024 12:04:32 BST Wols Lists wrote:
> On 07/04/2024 11:48, Wols Lists wrote:

> >> Are you still on your original profile, or have you used eselect to
> >> change it
> >> to profile 23.0?
> >>
> >> If the latter, change back to your old profile, update @world,
> >> depclean and
> >> then start with the rest of the migration instructions.
> >
> > Just done that. See my other email.
> >
> > NOTHING TO UPDATE (unless I've messed up my emerge ...)
>
> Interesting ... just done this under the old profile ...
>
> thewolery /usr/local/bin # emerge --ask --oneshot sys-devel/binutils

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> Dependency resolution took 3.19 s (backtrack: 0/20).
>

> Nothing to merge; quitting.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Hmm ... something is amiss with your system. Normally you would get this:

# emerge --ask --oneshot sys-devel/binutils

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 1.30 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild R ] sys-devel/binutils-2.41-r5

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

Did you emerge any packages using the new 23.0 profile, then went back to the
old profile to run the above command?
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On 07/04/2024 13:07, Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 April 2024 12:04:32 BST Wols Lists wrote:

>>> Just done that. See my other email.
>>>
>>> NOTHING TO UPDATE (unless I've messed up my emerge ...)
>>
>> Interesting ... just done this under the old profile ...
>>
>> thewolery /usr/local/bin # emerge --ask --oneshot sys-devel/binutils
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>> Dependency resolution took 3.19 s (backtrack: 0/20).
>>

>> Nothing to merge; quitting.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wol
>

> Hmm ... something is amiss with your system. Normally you would get this:
>
> # emerge --ask --oneshot sys-devel/binutils

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> Dependency resolution took 1.30 s (backtrack: 0/20).
>
> [ebuild R ] sys-devel/binutils-2.41-r5
>
> Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
>
> Did you emerge any packages using the new 23.0 profile, then went back to the
> old profile to run the above command?

No ...

Ummm ... I have had trouble emerging other stuff that didn't want to
work with oneshot ...

Let me look at my make.conf - I had to over-ride something to get
vbox-modules to emerge, this is probably the same thing ...

Yup - as soon as I comment the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS out I get it asking
me if I want to emerge binutils.

# EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS = "--buildpkg --deep --newuse --oneshot --usepkg"

So I'm doing an emerge @world now with the old profile ...

Cheers,
Wol
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 7 April 2024 15:46:18 BST Wols Lists wrote:
> On 07/04/2024 13:07, Michael wrote:

> > Did you emerge any packages using the new 23.0 profile, then went back to
> > the old profile to run the above command?
>
> No ...
>
> Ummm ... I have had trouble emerging other stuff that didn't want to
> work with oneshot ...
>
> Let me look at my make.conf - I had to over-ride something to get
> vbox-modules to emerge, this is probably the same thing ...
>
> Yup - as soon as I comment the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS out I get it asking
> me if I want to emerge binutils.
>
> # EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS = "--buildpkg --deep --newuse --oneshot --usepkg"
>
> So I'm doing an emerge @world now with the old profile ...
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Cool, once your system is up to date you should be able to change your profile
and follow the rest of the instructions. I hope all goes well. :-)
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On 07/04/2024 15:46, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 07/04/2024 13:07, Michael wrote:

>>> Interesting ... just done this under the old profile ...
>>>
>>> thewolery /usr/local/bin # emerge --ask --oneshot sys-devel/binutils
>>>
>>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>>
>>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Dependency resolution took 3.19 s (backtrack: 0/20).
>>>

>>> Nothing to merge; quitting.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Wol
>>

>> Hmm ... something is amiss with your system.  Normally you would get
>> this:
>>
>> # emerge --ask --oneshot sys-devel/binutils
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>> Dependency resolution took 1.30 s (backtrack: 0/20).
>>
>> [ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/binutils-2.41-r5
>>
>> Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
>>
>> Did you emerge any packages using the new 23.0 profile, then went back
>> to the
>> old profile to run the above command?
>
> No ...
>
> Ummm ... I have had trouble emerging other stuff that didn't want to
> work with oneshot ...
>
> Let me look at my make.conf - I had to over-ride something to get
> vbox-modules to emerge, this is probably the same thing ...
>
> Yup - as soon as I comment the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS out I get it asking
> me if I want to emerge binutils.
>
> # EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS = "--buildpkg --deep --newuse --oneshot --usepkg"
>
> So I'm doing an emerge @world now with the old profile ...

Yup - this appears to have un-bunged it - it's working as per
instructions. You might want to add to the instructions to disable
anything in make.conf that tampers with default settings.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: New profile - gentoo and binutils ... [ In reply to ]
On 07/04/2024 16:08, Michael wrote:
> Cool, once your system is up to date you should be able to change your profile
> and follow the rest of the instructions. I hope all goes well. ????

emerge --emptytree is now running well - 122 of 1534 so it has some way
to go ...

Cheers,
Wol