you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: profile is not depricated -- how to switch correctly [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 29 February 2024 09:01:52 GMT John Covici wrote:
> I got a message on my world update that said my profile which is
> /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/systemd
> / is depricated and no longer supported. So, afterr this update is
> finished, which one should I switch to -- portage says to use
> default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/systemd/merged-usr but in
> looking through the list I see one that says
> default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/gnome/systemd (exp) which doesn't say
> merged-usr, so what would be the advantages of either choice here?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

There should have been an e-news item on this? Did you check 'eselect news
list'?

https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2022-12-01-systemd-usrmerge.html

HTH,
Re: profile is not depricated -- how to switch correctly [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 04:24:06 -0500,
Michael wrote:

> [1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]
> On Thursday, 29 February 2024 09:01:52 GMT John Covici wrote:
> > I got a message on my world update that said my profile which is
> > /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/systemd
> > / is depricated and no longer supported. So, afterr this update is
> > finished, which one should I switch to -- portage says to use
> > default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/systemd/merged-usr but in
> > looking through the list I see one that says
> > default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/gnome/systemd (exp) which doesn't say
> > merged-usr, so what would be the advantages of either choice here?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> There should have been an e-news item on this? Did you check 'eselect news
> list'?
>
> https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2022-12-01-systemd-usrmerge.html
>
> HTH,
I did read the news item, that is why I am asking, so which of the two
profiles 17.1 or 23.0 ? I have to update my system and run depclean
before I can switch, but I was wondering which of those to choose?

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: profile is not depricated -- how to switch correctly [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 29 February 2024 09:52:19 GMT John Covici wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 04:24:06 -0500,
>
> Michael wrote:
> > [1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]
> >
> > On Thursday, 29 February 2024 09:01:52 GMT John Covici wrote:
> > > I got a message on my world update that said my profile which is
> > > /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/sys
> > > temd / is depricated and no longer supported. So, afterr this update is
> > > finished, which one should I switch to -- portage says to use
> > > default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/systemd/merged-usr but in
> > > looking through the list I see one that says
> > > default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/gnome/systemd (exp) which doesn't say
> > > merged-usr, so what would be the advantages of either choice here?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> >
> > There should have been an e-news item on this? Did you check 'eselect
> > news
> > list'?
> >
> > https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2022-12-01-systemd-usrmerge.html
> >
> > HTH,
>
> I did read the news item, that is why I am asking, so which of the two
> profiles 17.1 or 23.0 ? I have to update my system and run depclean
> before I can switch, but I was wondering which of those to choose?

The "(exp)" suffix indicates profiles masked as such are "experimental" at
this point in time. Personally, unless I am testing things I tend to stick
with stable to minimise maintenance work, but it is your call.
Re: profile is not depricated -- how to switch correctly [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 05:09:01 -0500,
Michael wrote:

> [1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]
> On Thursday, 29 February 2024 09:52:19 GMT John Covici wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 04:24:06 -0500,
> >
> > Michael wrote:
> > > [1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]

> > > There should have been an e-news item on this? Did you check 'eselect
> > > news
> > > list'?
> > >
> > > https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2022-12-01-systemd-usrmerge.html
> > >
> > > HTH,
> >
> > I did read the news item, that is why I am asking, so which of the two
> > profiles 17.1 or 23.0 ? I have to update my system and run depclean
> > before I can switch, but I was wondering which of those to choose?
>
> The "(exp)" suffix indicates profiles masked as such are "experimental" at
> this point in time. Personally, unless I am testing things I tend to stick
> with stable to minimise maintenance work, but it is your call.
OK, now that I know what that means, I will stick with the 17.1 --
thanks.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una