Mailing List Archive

"xset dpms" not working
My settings...

[x8940][waltdnes][~] xset q
Keyboard Control:
auto repeat: on key click percent: 0 LED mask: 00000002
XKB indicators:
00: Caps Lock: off 01: Num Lock: on 02: Scroll Lock: off
03: Compose: off 04: Kana: off 05: Sleep: off
06: Suspend: off 07: Mute: off 08: Misc: off
09: Mail: off 10: Charging: off 11: Shift Lock: off
12: Group 2: off 13: Mouse Keys: off
auto repeat delay: 660 repeat rate: 25
auto repeating keys: 00ffffffdffffbbf
fadfffefffedffff
9fffffffffffffff
fff7ffffffffffff
bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
Pointer Control:
acceleration: 2/1 threshold: 4
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 600 cycle: 600
Colors:
default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0x0 WhitePixel: 0xffffff
Font Path:
/usr/share/fonts/misc,/usr/share/fonts/100dpi,built-ins,/usr/share/fonts/misc
DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling):
Standby: 600 Suspend: 601 Off: 602
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On

Regardless of the above, the monitor does not blank after 10 minutes
(i.e. 600 seconds). If I run "xset dpms force off" from xterm (both as
local user and as root), the display goes dark... for approximately 1
second... and then returns to normal. Don't know if this is relavant,
but yesterday I was fighting a grocery delivery website for the better
part of an hour trying to place a simple order. In the course of that,
X crashed to a text tty commandline a few times.

Calling support confirmed a nationwide problem at their end. The help
desk guy was surprised that I managed to get my order through at all; it
was that bad at their end. Anyhow, my order was delivered OK this
morning. The DPMS issue started yesterday, so I wonder if it's related
to the X crashes.

--
Roses are red
Roses are blue
Re: "xset dpms" not working [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 08:21:42PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote

> Regardless of the above, the monitor does not blank after 10 minutes
> (i.e. 600 seconds). If I run "xset dpms force off" from xterm (both as
> local user and as root), the display goes dark... for approximately 1
> second... and then returns to normal.

So I turned the monitor off with the physical switch, took a nap, and
turned it on when I got up. Now the blanking works again. Cue the
Microsoft support jokes. What gives???

Re: "xset dpms" not working [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 18 February 2024 08:35:18 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 08:21:42PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
>
> > Regardless of the above, the monitor does not blank after 10 minutes
> >
> > (i.e. 600 seconds). If I run "xset dpms force off" from xterm (both as
> > local user and as root), the display goes dark... for approximately 1
> > second... and then returns to normal.
>
> So I turned the monitor off with the physical switch, took a nap, and
> turned it on when I got up. Now the blanking works again. Cue the
> Microsoft support jokes. What gives???

Are you using a Display Port, or HDMI connection perhaps? Modern monitors
come with their own onboard chipset which may lose sync with the PC. I've
experience the opposite with mine when I first bought it and thought the PC
had crashed ... :-)
Re: "xset dpms" not working [ In reply to ]
On 2/18/24 03:35, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 08:21:42PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
>> Regardless of the above, the monitor does not blank after 10 minutes
>> (i.e. 600 seconds). If I run "xset dpms force off" from xterm (both as
>> local user and as root), the display goes dark... for approximately 1
>> second... and then returns to normal.
> So I turned the monitor off with the physical switch, took a nap, and
> turned it on when I got up. Now the blanking works again. Cue the
> Microsoft support jokes. What gives???
At least you have a power switch.  (something about uphill both ways?)
I recently bought a pair of reconditioned 27" Acer 2K monitors, and they
do not have a physical power switch.  I have also not found an "off" in
the on-screen controls.  They do go blank for power saving, but they
take about three seconds to wake up again.
Re: "xset dpms" not working [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 09:01:04AM +0000, Michael wrote

> Are you using a Display Port, or HDMI connection perhaps? Modern
> monitors come with their own onboard chipset which may lose sync with
> the PC. I've experience the opposite with mine when I first bought it
> and thought the PC had crashed ... :-)

HDMI port according to the message on the display. Another quirk
when the blanking works and the screen is dark. Every several minutes
the entire screen goes bright blue for a few seconds and then returns to
dark for the next several minutes.

Re: "xset dpms" not working [ In reply to ]
Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 09:01:04AM +0000, Michael wrote
>> Are you using a Display Port, or HDMI connection perhaps? Modern
>> monitors come with their own onboard chipset which may lose sync with
>> the PC. I've experience the opposite with mine when I first bought it
>> and thought the PC had crashed ... :-)
> HDMI port according to the message on the display. Another quirk
> when the blanking works and the screen is dark. Every several minutes
> the entire screen goes bright blue for a few seconds and then returns to
> dark for the next several minutes.

I haven't been following this thread as I'm not familiar with xset but
this info made me think.  Could you have a bad cable?  Maybe the plug on
the back of the monitor or video card is worn out and not making a good
connection?  Maybe there is a dust bunny in the connector preventing a
good connection.

Just a thought.  Maybe.

Dale

:-)  :-)